mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New 14 Anthem 27.5 - where's the visibility? hype? no love??

with the new geo on the 275 - seems this could be a real gem for a lot of conditions and seems Decker and Craig are riding it to wins/podiums etc versus both longer and shorter travel bikes... granted they are Decker and Craig -

has anybody seen one or ridden one yet? even at the demo in PC - all the hype seems around the Trance...

open for discussion

Your Best Friend
    I've seen it in person but who cares? The Anthem is first and foremost an XC bike and a great trail bike second. These are areas that 29er has solidly taken over or performs really well. Most people who ride an Anthem or want one, are not impressed with smaller wheels. The Trance on the other hand falls right where the 27.5 effort needs to be focused, longer travel trail bikes. A 27.5 Anthem is the 2nd stupidest thing Giant has ever done.

mtbr member
    Well, I plan on checking out the Anthem Advanced 27.5. I think it would be a good upgrade from my '09 Anthem X1 w/26" wheels. I like the idea of a composite frame, and at 5'5 the wheel size would probably suit me better than 29ers. Ive ridden my Anthem on all types of trails in Florida, Colorado, Alaska, Massachusetts... I think the bike is a little more versatile than just saying its primarily for XC.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will disagree with the above post. A 27.5 Anthem is about the smartest thing Giant has ever done. I've ridden one, and they are nice for the style of riding I do.

Wagon wheels are great for some things, but the Anthem platform just works better with a smaller wheel. The Maestro suspension design is great, but the stupidly long chainstays on the Anthem 29 are cumbersome at best.

With the 27.5, the rear wheel is nice and tucked, and the slack(er) front end makes for a nice combo. Try it, and then decide.

mtbr member

New 14 Anthem 27.5 - where's the visibility? hype? no love??

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    A 27.5 Anthem is the 2nd stupidest thing Giant has ever done.
    Just out of interest, what's the stupidest?

mtbr member
    I always have to shake my head a little at absolutist opinions. The OP is 5'5"? That's exactly who needs a 27.5" XC bike. The other side of the coin is, I'm 6'4", and I've never felt for a second like my Anthem 29er (or any other 29er of mine) was as slow or cumbersome as other people claim "29ers are". Now, a bike might feel that way to you, but that doesn't mean that's how it is. A buddy of mine rides a 26" bike, and felt 29ers are cumbersome and don't handle as well, etc - until he started riding with me. When he realized I was going though little narrow twisty bits of single track as fast as he was, he reached the same conclusion as I've been preaching about 29ers for years.

It's about the individual. I happen to have the strength, size, and skill to whip a 29er around like it's a much smaller bike. I'm used to doing it. It doesn't feel like a chore to me. Meanwhile, 26" bikes feel very small under me. For me, the jury is still out on anything 27.5, because I have yet to ride it. Apparently, they're a lot of fun. I don't see myself getting rid of my 29er, but I may add a Trance, or maybe next year, a 27.5 Reign X?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ive been - like many - a bit on the hype wagon over the new trance and some other 275 bikes. I'd like to find that 1 bike that does everything I want in a bike and doesnt penalize me as either too much bike for some trails, or to little on others - the ever so tricky sweet spot ride. i've looked at it from many angles, many rides and all of a sudden with the 275 geo on the anthem - i can rationalize it as possibly "that bike". as always - will depend on the demo and feel.

for my daily/weekly rides after work - the trance likely wins - but when i head up into the smoother flowy singletrack in places like winter park, crested butte, and so many others - its overkill and at 46 don't see myself looking for lift serviced park riding.

maybe if i'm smart ill grab a 140mm trail bike and find a good used hardtail 29er... or take up roadbiking full time...JK