Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nervous Purchase....Trance X 29er2

So I'm not really sure why I'm posting. I think I'm looking for someone to say..."Yeah buy it !".

My current ride is a fully rigid 17# Niner Air 9. CF and XTR all over the place. Its fast and fun to ride. I built for local time trials. I'm not a very fast rider mid-pack at best but it gets the job done and I have fun doing it.

I'm looking for something a little different. The Niner on rides of say, anything over 12 miles or so, is not very comfortable. Ive become interest in doing longer rides as of late. I may even try some 100 mile weekends this year.

My budget is limited right now. I can only spend about $1800. Ive researched a ton of bikes. Mostly looking at 29r hardtails. I had my mind set until I ran into the Giant Trance x 29er. Fit me great. It was really comfortable, I loved the way it rode and it was within my budget. The spec is OK. Nothing great but it will last.

My concern is weight. Seemed a bit heavy. I'm not exactly sure ho much it weighed really but it seemed pretty heavy. I'm worried that on long rides that weight will kill me. I suppose its more important to have a comfortable ride and I certainly feel I will get that with this bike. I could always lighten it up a bit later to with some upgrades.

So my questions are...

Who has this bike and what do you think?
    And..will the weight kill me on those epic rides?
    Should I spend the money on a lighter hardtail?

I searched for Trance and all that came up with was older 26ers. Also I believe the X2 is newer so theres not much coming up on the search. Also the search function wont let me search for X2.-Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    So my questions are...

Who has this bike and what do you think?
    And..will the weight kill me on those epic rides?
    Should I spend the money on a lighter hardtail?
    I have an X0, and it has changed the way I ride bikes.
    The X0 is 12kgs, the X1 is 13~kgs. Dump the seat for something lighter, wheelset up to something light XC, maybe dump the dropper, bars and stem for carbon versions, tubeless and clipless & its should come in closer to 10kgs.
    IMHO, HT for a long ride setup is suicide.

Buy the TX29 ...... you WILL NOT regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    I have an X0, and it has changed the way I ride bikes.
    The X0 is 12kgs, the X1 is 13~kgs. Dump the seat for something lighter, wheelset up to something light XC, maybe dump the dropper, bars and stem for carbon versions, tubeless and clipless & its should come in closer to 10kgs.
    IMHO, HT for a long ride setup is suicide.

Buy the TX29 ...... you WILL NOT regret it.
    Good info...Thanks!

Your Best Friend

Re: Nervous Purchase....Trance X 29er2

Any FS 29er under $2000 isn't going to be a lightweight. However, the frames are all the same across the Trance range. Basically means it's a good base to build on.

mtbr member
    The TX29-2 is going to be a little heavier than the rest of the Trance 29 line. If you're looking for an immediate weight cut, you could change from the oem wheel set or make them tubeless. The bottom line here is that you're really comparing apples and oranges. You presently have a ultra-light race bike but you're interested in an enduro/trail bike. These are two different classes of rides, and unless you were willing to spend $6k-$8k to get a full carbon enduro down to 25# then your instincts now are accurate.

I have an X1 and sold the dropper post immediately after purchase, and swapped it with an Easton ea70 seat post, and a lighter WTB saddle saving a pound. I made the wheels tubeless (Gorilla tape and homebrew sealant) and shaved the weight of the tubes. It's not a lightweight bike and the most I could realistically do at this point would be to put in an XO crankset to save bigger weight. Swapping the wheels to Stan's Arch would maybe save 50-75 grams...not worth the money.

What is gained right now is the lack of a beating my body takes on longer rides. 5" of travel set properly will eat up a lot of punishment and keep you fresh for what's to come. You may ride a little slower but, IMHO, the lack of beating you take will enable you to go longer distances. I used to ride a hard tail too, and I feel better at the end of rides with my new Trance. Just one guy's opinion.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Ok...so I went to the local Giant dealer and really confused myself. It's a roadie shop so they are not a ton of help. See I sat in an Anthem 29er 4 and it felt just as good as the Trance. It's a little less on the quality of components but seemed more geared toward what I want. Like I said in my OP I'm looking for something for long rides.

Do you all think the Anthem is better suited for this?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Anthem seems more XC oriented than the Trance. That's probably more of what I want.

Go Speed Racer
    Interesting dilemma, I too am trying to decide between the Trance X (26er and 29er) and the Anthem X. I currently ride a Talon 29er hardtail (upgraded to the teeth), and like you am looking for a ride for longer distances, that can handle a little rougher terrain (i.e. drops) without taking its toll on my body. My Talon has been a real champ, and has handled everything I have thrown at it, but my body does pay the price on longer rides. I am a small rider (5'6'') and am actually thinking about the Trance X 26er. Anyway, let us know what you decide. I am at least 6-8 months, and probably close to a year away from my decision (saving money and convincing wife). Also, I am curious about the whole 27.5 thing, and also curious about SRAM XX1 (1x11 stuff) trickling down to the more affordable groupsets (x7/x9).

Right now, I think my ideal ride would be a Trance X 650ber with 1x11 Sram X7 - but that obviously does not exist!

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a Tx29er 2. I have only been riding for about 6 months. I usually ride between 11-14 miles, and haven't been uncomfortable yet. The last ride my ass was a bit sore after riding 2 days in a row and putting ~30 miles in.

The great thing about the Tx29er is the amount of energy I still had at the "end" of a ride compared to my hardtail. I put end in quotes because its always the end of a ride… but I know I can farther.

I have not regretted my decision to get this bike.

mtbr member
    Ok...so I went to the local Giant dealer and really confused myself. It's a roadie shop so they are not a ton of help. See I sat in an Anthem 29er 4 and it felt just as good as the Trance. It's a little less on the quality of components but seemed more geared toward what I want. Like I said in my OP I'm looking for something for long rides.

Do you all think the Anthem is better suited for this?

Thanks!
    I demoed Anthem's for about 8 hours before purchasing the Trance. The first Anthem had a 2x10 that I liked, the bike was very fast and climbed great. The next Anthem had a 3x10 that I didn't really care for but still was a great ride.

Anthem x4 has a 3x10.
    Trance x2 has a 2x10.

Anthem has 4" travel, Trance has 5".

Anthem has racing ralphs, Trance has nobby nics.

Both have a Recon silver fork, and a Monarch R shock.

Also the Anthem x4 comes in a bright baby blue - that's not for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone...

I actually just pulled the trigger on the Anthem. I demo'd it today for about an hour and it felt better. It's just closer to my roots than the trance. The TX29 felt great but with my other ride being a rigid it really felt like too much of a transition. Also the Anthem was a little lighter.

I hope I made the right choice. I'm thinking with the 2 bikes I couldn't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good choice!

I own a 2012 Anthem X1 29er but recently rode a Trance X0 29er my friend was demoing and was glad to get back on my bike. It didn't seem to climb as well (front wheel lifting) and just didn't feel as good to ride as the AX1 29er. My friend (who has a hard tail 26er XTC2) agreed that the Anthem was the pick.

mtbr member
    What level Anthem did you get?

Its a great bike!

Go Speed Racer
    Hey I am just curious, with Giant's proprietary tapered head tube, how easy / hard is it to find forks to upgrade? Are there headsets that allow you to run 'regular' tapered forks? Are there a lot of replacement headsets? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    What level Anthem did you get?

Its a great bike!
    I had to go with the X4. It's the only one I could afford. I have a few upgrades kicking around my garage that I may throw on.

mtbr member
    I had to go with the X4. It's the only one I could afford. I have a few upgrades kicking around my garage that I may throw on.
    Good for you. You rode the Anthem and like it and that's all that's important. Go with your gut. Drop some pictures when you get it.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Good for you. You rode the Anthem and like it and that's all that's important. Go with your gut. Drop some pictures when you get it.
    I'll do that...I'm picking it up Friday I think.

mtbr member
    Sweet, share pics when you get it. Not many pics of the x4 floating around.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Hey I am just curious, with Giant's proprietary tapered head tube, how easy / hard is it to find forks to upgrade? Are there headsets that allow you to run 'regular' tapered forks? Are there a lot of replacement headsets? Just curious...
    The outside diameter of the HT is exactly the same as a "standard" tapered HT. The upper headset piece just needs to be swapped out for a 1 1/8. Too easy.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone...

I actually just pulled the trigger on the Anthem. I demo'd it today for about an hour and it felt better. It's just closer to my roots than the trance. The TX29 felt great but with my other ride being a rigid it really felt like too much of a transition. Also the Anthem was a little lighter.

I hope I made the right choice. I'm thinking with the 2 bikes I couldn't go wrong.
    I just sold my '12 AX29 1 and it was a bittersweet sale. I also have a '13 TX 29 0 and it is awesome - I found myself fast and climbing well on both bikes. They have differences, but they are just different style bikes. The TX29 climbs just about as good (the tx29 x0 anyway) and rails corners harder with more weight over the front, but the AX29 x1 was awesome too. Hard to say, I've been getting pretty fast on both, but the TX29 x0 gets the nod for me, but they are both rad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am a new owner of Trance X1 2013, I've been riding it for about 4 days already. I've asked the LBS not to install the stock SRAM groupset the comes with it, instead they've installed a mixture of Shimano XT/XTR groupset. crankset for XT, while the rest are XTR. I've also upgrade the handlebar to Easton Have Carbon riser.
    It rides very well in enduro track, I really like it than my old yeti bike.

The only complaints that I Have, I wish giant put nicer controls for seatpost.

I don't recommend the SRAM X0 groupset, because if you ride aggressively the XO crankset will not last and the quality isn't as good as Shimano groupset.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    I am a new owner of Trance X1 2013, I've been riding it for about 4 days already. I've asked the LBS not to install the stock SRAM groupset the comes with it, instead they've installed a mixture of Shimano XT/XTR groupset. crankset for XT, while the rest are XTR. I've also upgrade the handlebar to Easton Have Carbon riser.
    It rides very well in enduro track, I really like it than my old yeti bike.

The only complaints that I Have, I wish giant put nicer controls for seatpost.

I don't recommend the SRAM X0 groupset, because if you ride aggressively the XO crankset will not last and the quality isn't as good as Shimano groupset.
    WOW, nice upgrades... No way you can make a post like this and not give us some pictures to drool over!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nervous Purchase....Trance X 29er2-photo.jpgNervous Purchase....Trance X 29er2-photo-1-.jpg
    There ya go, here is my upgraded version Giant Trance X1 2013.

Can anyone here please recommend a downtube protection for this bike?

The next upgrade that I would make are the following front and read shock, hopefully FOX FLOAT iCD suspension system (if they release 140mm). also better wheelset.

You won't regret owning a Trance X 2013.
    Last edited by rave81; 03-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought a Trance 29 x 1. My first mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After riding my Trance X1 this morning for 3 hours on the trail, now my bum is sore. Can you please recommend a comfy saddle for long riding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast