Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Needs Help: Chain Guide

Good evening guys, i have a 2013 trance x2 29er. while cleaning today i see a lot of scratches and paint chipped away from the frame due to chain slap, its almost under the crank base. would appreciate for any suggestion on what chain guide to use. thanks all

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Vulcanized electrical tape and forget the chain guide.

mtbr member
    got you. =) i was convincing myself that there should be a better way, seaching for 2hrs. now..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I have the same bike and problem. The weld at the front of the chain stay gets a hammering as well as the diagonal part of the rear triangle, just above the cassette. The weld at the front of the stay is particularly difficult because the back of it is concave and anything you wrap around it quickly fills with dirt. I have heard a lizard skin super jumbo trimmed down works well but have not tried that myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Same thing was happening to me. The chain would actually come off the big ring, if I go through some super rough terrain. I haven't tested it out yet, but I may have found an affordable solution. I used the chain stay guide and protector from a Specialized Stumpjumper. It fits the bike fairly well and is $30. I put it on yesterday, but won't get a chance to ride until tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by koyota93 View Post
    Same thing was happening to me. The chain would actually come off the big ring, if I go through some super rough terrain. I haven't tested it out yet, but I may have found an affordable solution. I used the chain stay guide and protector from a Specialized Stumpjumper. It fits the bike fairly well and is $30. I put it on yesterday, but won't get a chance to ride until tonight.

update us as soon as you ride it and how it feels. where did you bought it and whats it called?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought it from Rock N' Road Cyclery in Mission Viejo, CA. You can talk to Paul there. Not sure if they ship or not. Tell them Khoi sent you. The item description on my receipt says, "2012 SJ FSR Alloy 26" CS Prote $30.00". I'll try to snap a pic of it on my bike tonight. I was considering the Bionicon C Guide, but this is $20 cheaper and protects the chain stay.

mtbr member
    my only concern is the shifting from 2nd gear to granny vice versa. let us know how it works, im going to research more. i got mastic tape on my list already. chain slapping is driving me crazy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    i've searched this. im not really confident on the plastic, the way i use my bike im afraid the chain will eat away the plastic easily

mtbr member
    any other suggestion other than the fragile bionicon guys? looks like mastic tape....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I just ordered one of these bionicon c-guides. I'll let you know how well they work. I'm most worried about drag in the system. I loose my chain regularly on the downhill runs around my area and have developed the habit of putting in a few cranks every now and then just to keep the chain on. Hopefully this will negate the need for this and save my frame at the same time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Update: rode with the Specialized piece today. Noticeably less noise from chain slap. Didn't lose the chain at all, but the trail today wasn't the best for testing that. I usually lose it and rough DH sections. It came off 3-4 times on Saturday at the bike park without the new guide. Shifting seems to be normal. It shifts into all the gears just fine. It's early but I feel like this will solve my issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

DIY Guide

Guys,

Cost 10c and 10 minutes.

Needs Help: Chain Guide-dsc_9706.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Lol, that is clever. Albeit a little ghetto. Nice work! How long do the cable ties last that feed through the guide tube?

mtbr member
    very nice set up. i guess i have to try diy as well

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Guys,
    Bottom piece cross section of Artline 660 Highlighter | Tiger Pens
    Top piece is just outer core of electrical cable.
    I think it will last a year or more, as one can flip guide tube around 4 sides to wear off.....

Just tested it today. Added to my XTR RD Shadow Plus, it totally eliminated all chain slap noise. Doesn't rattle like Shakira anymore.

Chain still dropped on a very bumpy trial on highest gears 11T or 13T. I'm not totally convinced this Bionicon concept works for this, as it works poorly to minimise lateral (sideways) vibration of chain, the biggest contributor to chain drop.

Anyway its only 50 cents to tryout, so guys, give it a shot and feedback here......

mtbr member
    huh, interesting. wow

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The bionicon kinda works, but isn't worth $20 let alone $60 or whatever it costs after shipping. I've broken 2 of the plastic bases and still drop my chain to the outside on serious bumps. It's really too bad the older giants can't mount chain guides. That being said, I shouldn't have ever expected one on an Anthem, just didn't think I'd lose chains as often as I do (nearly every down).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Probiscus,

I've yet to solve my chain drops, I think both bionicon and my diy do not work well on this.

The MRP topguide works somewhat, but have removed it. Notice on photo that altho whole setup is SS, I still keep a 24T inside the 32T eThirteen....I manually pre-switch to 24T for super technical uphill trails.

All in all, I think the best option is those wide-narrow chainrings like wolftooth etc... see what you guys think ?

mtbr member
    if you wide narrow the chain rings would that interfere from the original set up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash_273 View Post
    if you wide narrow the chain rings would that interfere from the original set up?
    Would not. As I manually use my fingers by pulling the chain to pre-switch 32T to 24T before I ride certain high gradient trails. Funny the 24T never drops chain, only the 32T.

All said, the Bionicon method does nothing to tame chain left to right flapping. I still get drops for 13T and 11T. Only solution (except XX1) is to use Wolftooth or Raceface W-N chainrings....

mtbr member
    so my 38t can be switch to lower number? whats the advantage of lower #?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash_273 View Post
    so my 38t can be switch to lower number? whats the advantage of lower #?
    Thrash,
    Not understanding your question above.
    After reading posting, I think you will solve your chain slap with this Bionicon type. Be it from them or DIY. It will work for your 38T and smaller rings.....

Sorry to interfere to your thread, I was just sharing with others on chain drop issues, for those running single speed...which the Bionicon does not solve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emailpeter View Post
    Thrash,
    Not understanding your question above.
    After reading posting, I think you will solve your chain slap with this Bionicon type. Be it from them or DIY. It will work for your 38T and smaller rings.....

Sorry to interfere to your thread, I was just sharing with others on chain drop issues, for those running single speed...which the Bionicon does not solve.
    newbie question.. whats the deal with 38t, 34t etc... thats what im reffering to. cause i have 38t right now, so if go to 34t wide etc. whats the difference?
    what type of chain ring your using (in photo)? same crank?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast