Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need specs on 2002 Rainier -- Please

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Brooklyn13 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Rainier w/ about 3k miles on it (combined xc, trail, and road) and it now time for a rebuild but I can't find the parts specs on this bike (i.e. headset, bottom bracket, seat post, crank size, stem, handlebar sweep/rise) to order/purchase parts. Having the geometry would be nice too if anyone has it.
Also going to be replacing the fork ... any recommendations for a cheap $200ish (no can't afford to put a Fox on here) 100mm fork w/ lockout, preferably air????

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Brooklyn13 said:
I have a 2002 Rainier w/ about 3k miles on it (combined xc, trail, and road) and it now time for a rebuild but I can't find the parts specs on this bike (i.e. headset, bottom bracket, seat post, crank size, stem, handlebar sweep/rise) to order/purchase parts. Having the geometry would be nice too if anyone has it.
Also going to be replacing the fork ... any recommendations for a cheap $200ish (no can't afford to put a Fox on here) 100mm fork w/ lockout, preferably air????

Thanks!
Just saw this. I owned this bike, and have the catalog.

Headset is a "zero stack" i.e. Cane Creek ZS or FSA Orbit Z series headsets.

I ran a 68x113mm bottom bracket with the stock 175mm Deore square taper crank. My bike had the Canadian specs. The USA model had a different Giant brand crank.

Front derailleur is 34.9mm clamp, top pull.

Seatpost was a 30.8. 30.9 is more common, and should fit fine.

My 21" frame came with a 110mm stem with about a 15 degree rise. Smaller frames came with shorter stems. 25.4mm clamp size.

Handlebars were not very exotic, with a typical XC rise of about 1-1.5"

Head tube angle is 71
Seat tube angle is 72
BB drop is 1.38"
Chainstay length is 17.73"
Top tube lengths are: 21.65", 22.64", 23.23", 23.82" for the 14, 17, 19, and 21" sized frames.
Head tube lengths are: 4.29", 4.41", 4.88", 5.35" for the 14, 17, 19, and 21" sized frames.

My bike came with a Marzocchi EXR air. I thought the fork was pretty sweet. It is worth rebuilding. It is a fairly simple fork, and most local bike shops should not have trouble working on it.

If you are looking for a cheap replacement, the Rock Shox Tora is heavy, but a pretty good performer for its price point.

PS, my frame cracked at the weld between the down tube and head tube.

#4 ·
Try this link...

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2002&Brand=Giant&Model=Rainier&Type=bike

Brooklyn13 said:

Thanks!

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks!

Thank you! My rebuild can now begin.
Yes, I had previously done some web searching and found/seen the bikepedia web page prior to posting for help but it really lacked any specifics.
I was surprised that I could not find an e-mail for the Giant technical dept.
Anyway thanks again as now I can keep busy while I wait on my new Trance X or Reign ... still have not decided ... 5" or 6" ahhh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.