mtbr member
    Feb 2006

need some suggestions for new crankset

howdy folks, i am from texas and i like to ride my giant yukon after school about everyday. My crankset and rear derailluer are wearing thin and sometimes skips gears. i am askin for some input on which new components will be well worth the upgrade. thanks for readin. o by the way, i am lookin at the shimano xt products. what do yall think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    XT cranks are supposedly excellent (i've not used them). they look top value, and are stiff and strong. so i'd say definitely worth considering. alternatives would include something from FSA, RaceFace or Truvativ. i'm a user of FSA and like them very much (V-drive is pretty cheap and works, and the K-Force is bling and expensive; Afterburner is somewhere inbetween).

if you're retaining your shifters (as opposed to changing to a SRAM setup like X.7/X.9) an XT RD would also be a good choice.

mind you, for simply 'riding around after school', XT is arguably overkill. but will be a smidge lighter (than LX), stronger, and should prove more reliable.

if the gears are wearing, then you should always buy a new chain too, as a worn (ie: stretched) chain will wear out new gears faster. not sure how your cassette fairs.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade1506
    howdy folks, i am from texas and i like to ride my giant yukon after school about everyday. My crankset and rear derailluer are wearing thin and sometimes skips gears. i am askin for some input on which new components will be well worth the upgrade. thanks for readin. o by the way, i am lookin at the shimano xt products. what do yall think?
    Depending what you're looking for and where you'll be heading in the future (are you starting to build up a race bike? Or do you want a durable, affordable bike for hitting the trails on the weekend?) I'd recommend the '06 Shimano LX or '06 Shimano Hone cranksets. They're only a little heavier than the XTs but are available for $100 less than the higher end part.

Of course, you're likely in for a series of upgrades if you're skipping gears: chances are decent that you'll need a new chain, a new cassette (the derailleur should be fine unless you've beat it up), and maybe a couple of new rings. You could get all of that stuff for less than a set of new cranks too...