Quiet Professional

Need some help Want to buy reign x.

Well I am quite out of shape and way over weight. I am about 275+ and 5"10. I am wanting to get back into riding and get back in shape. My last bike back in 2001/2001 was a Giant AC2 and now I am looking at a giant reign x 2011. My main question is rear shocks. I like the idea of the Fox coil DHX RC2 but I am thinking I need around 800lb coil. Do they make them this heavy for this shock? Would just an air shock be better? Here are the specs of the one I am looking at on ebay.

Components
    Frame 2011 Giant Reign X1, size medium, white/gold/black

Fork 2010 Fox Talus 160mm RC2

Rear Shock Fox coil DHX RC2 6.7 travel

Handlebar Giant Contact AM, 750mm, 31.8 clamp size NEW

Grips Giant NEW

Stem Race Face Atlas 60mm

Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9 NEW

Saddle WTB Pure V

Shifters Shimano XTR, 2x9 Speed

Front Derailleur Shimano SLX

Rear Derailleur Shimano Saint

Brakes Shimano Saint

Brake Levers Shimano Saint

Cassette Shimano XT 11-34

Crankset Shimano XT 175mm, 36/24

Bottom Bracket Shimano NEW

Rims Mavic 823 UST

Rear Hub DT Swiss 340, 12mm x 135mm

Front Hub Giant sealed bearing 20mm

Spokes DT Swiss

Tires Continental Trail King 26x2.4 tubeless (RIDDEN ONCE)

Weight: 34 pounds (without pedals)

I will be moving back to NC and hitting trails there. Eventually when I get back in shape I will hit the mountains in Asheville and hopefully doing 5'+ drops. Any advice would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    work on building a good baseline fitness/nutrition first.

start small and build from there, walk-swim-run/spinbike/stairclimb etc., cut out soft drinks, candy, make/cook your meals from the edges of the grocery store (fresh vegetables and meats)

make a goal of say 6 months, *then* treat yoself if you've met or exceeded your goal.

you'll be alot happier/better off in the long run, less susceptible to and resilient from injury, and you'll have the personal satisfaction of "earning" your dream ride so-to-speak.

and to answer your question, yes you can get or have made a spring with the correct rate (whatever it turns out to be, may or may not be 800), but then you're also going to need to have your shock re-valved and re-oiled to regain some damping properties. stick with what i said above, get to a stable weight and fitness and you'll save yourself a ton of hassle in the shock dept.

Quiet Professional
    Thanks for your suggestion and I am doing what I can right now as far as exercising. Due to accidents in the Army I have some spinal damage and running is not an option right now. I can bike and do some other low impact pt that does not jar my spine. Biking would start off road and small trails, but once my back muscles strengthen more and weight come off I will be doing more aggressive stuff. I have been wanting this bike for a while and even if I can not ride it that much right now till I get back in shape I really want to get it. It is all about the color scheme( black and white) on this one. I am not sure how available it will be in the future. Is there a good calculation of what spring I need? I called fox and they do make a 800lb spring and wonder who else makes one larger for this shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Again, just putting an 800 in/lb rate spring on it may give you the amount of sag you need, but the valving and oil weight of the shock won't support that high of a spring rate. Meaning it will be like a spring only and overpower the damping.

Let me suggest you call a suspension aftermarket company like PUSH or Avalanche, and have them put together a whole shock for you that you can just swap out in one shot. Might as well consider them doing up your front suspension as well because it's going to be the same deal. You should probably prepare yourself to spend close to five hundred for the shock and probably two hundred or so to have your fork set up. There may be some people that say why bother, just air it up the suspension as is, but it's going to be the same deal, over sprung.

You say it's been a decade since you last rode, and the quality of consumer level bikes and suspension has gone way up an the prices (while still seeming a lot) have come way down, meaning today's forks and shocks are packed with miniaturized motorbike tech (adjustable high and low speed damping and cartridge unit fork dampers etc) and you should be able to get your reign very well set up for your weight.

Quiet Professional
    Not a decade since I last rode, but decade since I purchased the last bike. Think I sold the bike back in 2005 before I moved to Texas.Not sure what year it was, it was the satin blue grey frame ac2. It might have been a 2003. I had a mongoose xr 450 prior to that. I remember it had hays hydraulic disc brakes, Manitou Swinger 6.5" adjustable rear shock. I am choosing the giant reign x1 from 2011 because it is a great price and appears to be a great bike compared to the AC I had. I was trying to decide between a scott genius lt or the giant reign x1 and chose the giant.

I am also looking for a bike for my wife. She is 5'5 and a bit overweight also. She has long legs , 31" inseam so I am sure she could get away with a medium or a small bike. Eventually she would be hitting the same trails as I do minus the big hits. Dont imagine her doing more than a 3 foot drop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    from one G.I. to another, good luck!