Fat Guy on a Little Bike

need some advice

ok I have a couple of bike choices that I need to decide between. I am looking to upgrade from my hardtail. I mostly do xc/trail riding, no big jumps. Also once a year I ride fa long ride (well long for me), but it is pretty flat but reasonably bumpy in some spots. Other than that it is singletrack. I know any of these bikes will be better than my riding ability at the moment. I have lost some weight recently but I still have some to go. I am 5'8" 185 currently. I have a chance to get one of these bikes, they are all brand new and from an LBS.

05 Reign for $1300
    05 NRS C2 for $1500
    06 Trance 2 for $2100

The Trance is on the extreme edge of my budget, I like it a lot and it is probably the best suited for what I need, but not sure if it is worht the extra cash. I have ridden all of these and like them. The reign has better components than the NRS, but the NRS is a good amount lighter. And of course the Trance 2 is sweet but pricey compared to the other two. I guess I could throw a Trance 3 in there as well, but if i go that route i might as well go for the T2. I am aware these are all for different kinds of riding.

any advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by pugslyssu; 02-26-2006 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    The Trance 2 is probably the best for the type of riding you described. Also, if you have considered buying a better bike and like the better components on the better bike, just get the better bike to begin with. Otherwise you will just end up trying to upgrade the others to make them what you want and it will end up costing you more in the long run.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Good job!

Go for the Trance 2. I just picked up a 2006 Trance 2 this week. It was the best bike for me. It has the RP3 shock and Sram components. Is it worth the extra cash? That depends on what you consider your dream bike(or close to it). I wish I could have bought the Trance 1, but it's way over my budget. Like you, the T2 was at the high end of my budget. I was able to trade in my AC1 2002 and I saved money on taxes. All I can tell you is that I made the right choice. Go for it.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    compared to a HT, the NRS will be quite plush (i ride both). but it isn't the 'all mountain' kinda bike that either a Reign or Trance are.

i must say, for the conditions you describe, i think the NRS will be great. it's pretty much what i ride: XC with firetrails and single track, no major drop-offs. mind you, i don't/can't bomb it down really rough tracks like i might with tougher bike, but that's not what i do anyway. i love the NRS for its slick performance. and indeed the weight difference is very significant.

but you make the call. if you care less for weight, and want a bike with more travel, go for the others. i think if you ride recreationally, you may prefer the plushness and toughness of these bikes. mind you, i only ride recreationally (don't race), but i like low weight (stems from the 'roadie' inside of me).

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]