squish is good

Need help! Reign pivot bearing removal

Okay, heres the deal. The pivot bearings on my 05 Reign's seatstay kinda just exploded on me and the outer bearing races are seized in the housing. I've been trying to pry and punch them out using various screwdrivers and a hammer and I'm kind of worried about damaging the housing in the swingarm if I keep going at it like this. I've got it soaking with some penetrating lube now but I was just curious if anyone knows of a better method for getting bearing races out of there.
    Bike good, work bad.

May contain nuts
    Put down the hammer and take it to a mech engineer. They'll do the job without damaging the rear triangle.
    (Use anti-seize when pressing the replacements in and fill them with fresh grease as they tend to be under-lubed from factory).

mtbr member
    I would have to agree with Haggis, save you the trouble from damaging the rear triangle!!!

Here is a useful link for taking your bearings out and putting them back in.

lynx did a good job in explaining how to do it , it also applies to you bike, all the same but different bearings.

Trance Bearing replacement How To.
    My Rides
    2010 Anthem x2
    2007 Giant Reign 1
    2006 KONA Hoss

now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005
    Same thing happened to my '05 Reign 2.
    Took it back to the LBS and they got me a R1 rear triangle warranty replacement.
    Still had the crappy bearings though... replaced them w/Enduro Fork Seals bearings, and Lynx's help.

spinner
    Take the part to a trustworthy engineering / welding shop with TIG capabilities. I replaced my Reign bearings last week and had the same problem with that bearing at the top of the seatstay , when I punched the inner race it came out along with what remained of the bearings but the outer was still in place.

I ran a small amount of TIG weld onto the inside face of the outer race. As it cools , it shrinks the race and it comes out with little effort. The amount of heat from the welding is minimal and doesn't affect the paint. The same technique can be done with a MIG welder , applying 3 or 4 small spots of weld around the race , but TIG is preferable because of the accuracy of placement of the welds and low heat involved in the process.

It should be a minimum charge job for the welding shop , 5 minutes work tops.

squish is good
    I managed to improvise a tool to pull the race out, problem is solved.
    Bike good, work bad.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I managed to improvise a tool to pull the race out, problem is solved.
    Good man engineers are over rated garage technology rules.

Cheers
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Good man engineers are over rated garage technology rules.
    Thats how I roll. And I have no money, I can always improvise better when I'm poor for some reason.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A good engineer, even a mechanical engineer, probably wouldn't be the person to take the job to in the first place.
    A good mechanic or machinist on the other hand would be the person to see assuming you wanted to avoid the bikeshop and any 'WTF?' claim.

Then again, in Britian they call the trashman a sanitation engineer, the locksmith a security engineer and on and on.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I used a dremel with a grinding bit... very carefully... and all went well..

BTW, the Enduro bearings I put in the seatstay pivot of my son's Reign (I put them in both of our bikes) are feeling like crap after only six months.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I used a dremel with a grinding bit... very carefully... and all went well..

BTW, the Enduro bearings I put in the seatstay pivot of my son's Reign (I put them in both of our bikes) are feeling like crap after only six months.

Best thing is to pop a seal off the bearing and check for grease many times there is a lack of since the bearings are ordered from a warehouse in bulk.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sep 2005