Quiet Professional

Need help in deciding on bike for wife.

So we are starting out with cheaper bikes till we get into shape. Once we loose a bunch of weight and are in shape I thought we would get decent bikes. I will personally be getting a Giant reign x2 and not quite sure what to get her. I want to keep it with Giant but not sure if she should have a reign non x version or a woman trance x. Its hard for me to justify spending the same amount of money on less travel, but I dont think she will really use as much as she wont be hitting all the jumps and drops I want to hit. She might get there some day but not sure. What say you. Get her a reign or a trance x?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would say reign. I was in the same situation and got my wife the lesser bike only to have her skills outgrow the bike and leave her wanting more travel and better specs.

Quiet Professional
    Ok thanks. That is what I told my wife I was getting her when we meet our goals.

mtbr member
    Trance X or Cypher

mtbr member
    Don't know what size your partner is but the Anthem X 29er now comes in a women specific size. From what you say it might be a while 'til your wife outgrows an Anthem 29er.
    My missus bought one (X0 model) and is happy.

The reason I bring up the Anthem is that it might provide weight savings over the longer travel bikes. The lighter weight and slightly more 'compact package' provided by less travel may make riding more enjoyable and help her advance faster.
    Just a thought.

Either way I would certainly get her a demo on all types before buying.
    Good luck with it.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Its hard for me to justify spending the same amount of money on less travel, but I dont think she will really use as much as she wont be hitting all the jumps and drops I want to hit.
    More travel does not equal more cost (or better bike). But it usually does equal heavier bike and less efficient pedaling.

I say get her the Trance X. Five inches of travel is plenty for most (beginner friendly) drops, especially if the rider is lightweight. Also, your wife would probably appreciate the lighter, more efficient Trance X when trying to keep up with other riders.

Like purdyboy mentioned, the Anthem X 29 is also a nice option. My wife enjoys the tiny bit of extra stability that her new 29" wheeled ride brought (she used to ride a 26" Trance X). Then again, while she rides some very technical and challenging terrain, her wheels never leave the ground. At least, not on purpose.

Quiet Professional
    Well she watched some videos from Whistler Mountain and really likes the idea of doing some of that. Not complete downhill stiff. Pardon the link to a different site but she liked the Whistler park video here. BTW She has a 4" DiamondBack that we are waiting on being sent from my mothers in NC that we are starting her on to do some xc and learn the basics.
    Giant Reign X1: Tested - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    That's a big wad to drop and hope she likes riding. Just 2cents. I hope she loves it, but I'd make sure. I got my wife a nicer road bike than mine - Ti frame and Ultegra, but it sits around on the tree with dust on it. : ~( Kids keep us busy, she has other hobbies. A used bike can be a good starting point, Ebay has plenty of 26rs for good money and factor in replacing some stuff you can still get a deal. I got wife's bike there and it was showroom new even new tires, guy never rode it.

Inspector Gadget
    Go ride the bikes and let her choose. I put my wife on specialized, ibis, santa cruz and she settled on the Anthem X W. She did not like the slack geometry and bigger travel feeling. That may change down the road, but she's at the novice stage and did not need or even know what to do with that much bike yet.
    Last edited by abeckstead; 08-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if you mentioned her body type or riding style or not but that info would be important.

My two cents, if she's already an aggressive rider then she most likely will remain one for the foreseeable future, on the other hand, if she's more into just riding along with you then she'll probably just remain that way too. I'd leave it up to her to pick a bike and just help her come to a conclusion instead of choosing one for her. She may might end up not liking it very much bc it wasn't a good choice for her and it'd be your fault bc you picked it for her. Be patient though as she probably has a different approach to purchasing.
    Last edited by homey; 08-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

cowbell
    I recently bought my wife a bike. I took her to the store (fortunately, she's a "normal" size person, not a clyde like me, and stores actually stock bikes in her size) and let her ride pretty much one of everything. I had specifically told her there were two bikes I wanted her to ride that she specifically was not interested in riding, and in the end, she was most comfortable on one of those two bikes, which astounded her, and made me certain which bike to get her. I think she's already ridden this bike as much as her last two combined, because she never was quite comfortable on them. So don't ask us which bike to get her, take her to the store and let her decide what she's comfortable on.

mtbr member
    If your going to ride together get the same "class" of bike. Its really the only thing that make sense, puts you both on a level field. If your both feeling brave one day and want to hit something more down hillish or more XC or whatever, one person wont have to struggle.

reign = all mountain
    trance = cross country + (with 5" travel its a very capable ride, but still XC geometry)

the trance is a nice bike, but it all comes down to geometry. It will climb better and be smoother in tight technical riding, but it wont descend the same way the reign will. The reign will be better or gaps, jumps ect still climbs well and is still light enough to be able to through around.
    2012 Giant Reign 1