Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

need front susp suggestions for 2003 NRS 16.5

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave H 
#1 ·
Will be building up a 2003 NRS3 (small-16.5) frame very soon. Any suggestions on closeout front forks to be on the lookout for ? This will use a CC Cloud Nine rear shock with a stock rocker. I'd like to stick with a Manitou fork. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I'm looking for ALL recommendations. I'm on the verge of turning fifty in another year or so. Just got back into mtn biking after being away for close to 20 years. I'm about 170 & also looking for the health benefits as well. I ride groomed trails but may try some races waaaaayyy down the road. I just bought a completely stock 2002 NRS 2 a month & a half ago. My complete NRS 2 has a Manitou Comp Black with the 80mm-100mm adj. & I've been riding it on the 100mm setting & like it. I don't have a clue what I need to look for the frame I'm going to build. Too many choices with my extremely limited knowledge. I want to run disc brakes. Thanks. Dave

#2 ·
Dave H said:
Will be building up a 2003 NRS3 (small-16.5) frame very soon. Any suggestions on closeout front forks to be on the lookout for ? This will use a CC Cloud Nine rear shock with a stock rocker. I'd like to stick with a Manitou fork. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I'm looking for ALL recommendations. I'm on the verge of turning fifty in another year or so. Just got back into mtn biking after being away for close to 20 years. I'm about 170 & also looking for the health benefits as well. I ride groomed trails but may try some races waaaaayyy down the road. I just bought a completely stock 2002 NRS 2 a month & a half ago. My complete NRS 2 has a Manitou Comp Black with the 80mm-100mm adj. & I've been riding it on the 100mm setting & like it. I don't have a clue what I need to look for the frame I'm going to build. Too many choices with my extremely limited knowledge. I want to run disc brakes. Thanks. Dave
hey dave,

you might wanna check out some of the info and pictures of some of the nrs's in the nrs post sticky. there should be some helpful info in there too. as for me, i've seen a manitou skareb on sale for something like around $150 +, and if you ask me, i think that that's a good deal.

good luck in building up your nrs! and pls. post some pics if you can.

nrsrex

#3 ·
yeah, the skareb is probably an ideal fork and OEM on NRS's around '03-'04.. it's a very respectible light weight, with good performance, and good value. the later models with SPV Evolve damping are probably the goer, but IT (infinite travel) adjustment isn't worth the hassle if you have to pay for it.

there are definitely better forks out there, but depends how much you wanna pay. some people criticise the skareb as being flexy, particularly with discs (which imposes greater force through the ends of the forks) but at your weight and type of riding, probably not an issue (i had a Skareb Comp OEM on my XTC2 and i weigh-in around the same and found it very good whilst i had it).

i also run 100mm travel on my NRS and find that a great compromise over the stock 80mm.

'better' forks would include the Fox F80 (and its variants), RockShox REBA, and Manitou R7. but all will be significantly more, although you may be able to find an '05 REBA at a good price; it's the fork i run on my bikes now and i think they are excellent.

:)

#4 ·
Thanks to nrsrex and shiny_car for the suggestions ! :) I will keep any eye out for some deals on the Skareb & the Reba. I will post some pics down the road. Now you two have me thinking about a new fork for the 2002 NRS 2. :mad: Just kidding on the being mad !!!!! :D Thanks again. Dave

#5 ·
i have a Skareb laying around that came off my '03 NRS. planned on using it for my SS but is not V-brake compatible and i'm not put disc wheels on that bike.

it's got some miles so the typical nicks and scratches. shoot me an email if you are interested in talking some more. lhoner at kickyfast dot com

#6 ·
lanceh said:
i have a Skareb laying around that came off my '03 NRS. planned on using it for my SS but is not V-brake compatible and i'm not put disc wheels on that bike.

it's got some miles so the typical nicks and scratches. shoot me an email if you are interested in talking some more. lhoner at kickyfast dot com
the skarebs that came on the '03 nrs 2's are DEFECTIVE, and must have their lowers replaced by manitou. read the reviews; over 33% of the people who posted reviews about the '03 skarebs had them break, and several people were seriously injured. the vast majority of problems were from '03 nrs 2's, which used disc brakes. i had an '03 skareb, but used rim brakes and didn't have any issues (some people did though). manitou will work with you or your dealer to replace the lowers; i don't know if it will cost you though (it shouldn't).

newer skarebs don't have these problems as the lowers (specifically the reverse arch) have been beefed up and would be ok. i would certainly check out the '05 rebas as they are selling for less than $350 if you can find them (check ebay too). marzocchi's are supposed to be good forks too and a lot of people seem to like the mx comp and pro models. they are a little heavier.

also something to consider is that manitou (and for 2006, marzocchi) use post-mount brake mounts. if you're disc brakes use IS mounts, you could just get an adapter if you aren't a weight-weenie (i'm guessing you aren't heh). but if the brakes you are planning to use are IS and not post-mount it might not be worth the hassle (you might have to use a larger rotor, etc). just something to keep in mind is all.

#8 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
the skarebs that came on the '03 nrs 2's are DEFECTIVE, and must have their lowers replaced by manitou. read the reviews; over 33% of the people who posted reviews about the '03 skarebs had them break, and several people were seriously injured. the vast majority of problems were from '03 nrs 2's, which used disc brakes. i had an '03 skareb, but used rim brakes and didn't have any issues (some people did though). manitou will work with you or your dealer to replace the lowers; i don't know if it will cost you though (it shouldn't).
the lowers on my skareb have been replaced for the exact reason you mentioned. took a large hit to the front wheel and the arch broke.

#10 · (Edited)
lanceh: Sorry for the long delay in responding to your offer - been a busy week for me. I appreciate the offer on the fork. I'm going to hold off for now until I figured out if I screwed up or not by buying the 100mm Manitou Skareb Platinum that I just purchased. Glad to hear your fork safety issue has been resolved for you. What color is the fork you mentioned that you were interested in selling ? Thanks again. Dave

#12 ·
dirt diggler: Thanks for the info on the Noleens. My complete 2002 NRS 2 has a Manitou Comp Black with a 80mm-100mm travel selector. I've been riding it with the selector in the 100mm position & am happy with the choice. I just recently purchased a 100mm Manitou Skareb Platinum. Have I screwed up ? I reasoned that since I'm happy with the 100mm travel position on the NRS 2, that I would need to purchase a 100mm travel front fork. Please share your thoughts. Thanks. Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.