mtbr member

New question here. Need Advice: VT to Reign

My LBS offers me a trade for my '03 VT2 small frame with '06 Reign Team XS frame for -+ $550 (dont live in the US/Canada)
    The VT has very low mileage and can be considered mint.
    I have no problem with it except for the crotch clearance (on the VT) which is almost zero (I am 5'5)
    Need your advice if it is worth the money?
    Thanks friends
    Last edited by paneristi; 03-06-2006 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Go for the Reign without any doubt. The Reign is superior to the VT. I was just thinking yesterday on how to get my hands on a cheap Reign frame.... so I can get rid of my VT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

VT to a good home

All mountain, hope the vt goes to a good home. I still kinda miss that bike (my first quality full sus. ), Although youve modified it almost beyond recognition ( for the better of course !) since i had it. I reckon the vt was a good looking bike at the time. Although I'm loving the Reign 2. So much tougher, faster and sexier than the vt.

paneristi, go the reign for sure !

mtbr member

Thank you..

Thanks for the advice, friends.
    should i go for the trade, i am going to swap the components over the new frame. They are basically stock of VT2, except for the SRAM gearing, hydros, seatpost, and Vanilla125.
    I hope the Vanilla is not too short for the Reign.
    Actually, I was thinking to use 5" setup on the back of the VT, should it help to clear the standover. Would you happen to know if setting the shock travel to 5" will change standover height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sicwombat, I'm enjoying your old VT. All still keep the VT. She's a fast light singletrack missile! She's getting new cranks next week. Ended up choosing FSA V-Drive Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    All mountain, hope the vt goes to a good home. I still kinda miss that bike (my first quality full sus. ), Although youve modified it almost beyond recognition ( for the better of course !) since i had it. I reckon the vt was a good looking bike at the time. Although I'm loving the Reign 2. So much tougher, faster and sexier than the vt.

paneristi, go the reign for sure !

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Go for the trade. Vanilla is a tad short, but will still give you a reasonable HA (~70). Aussie versions 2& 3 use Rockshox Revelation & Recon 130 forks which are only about 10mm longer than the Vanilla.

VT 5" setting will not affect geometry. It will lower the leverage ratio and limit end travel. Lower leverage (and flatter) means it will make the VT more suitable for endurance events and slightly better pedalling with 5" setting. I tend to alternate setting just for a change if anything else. I just went to the 5" setting again.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    Thanks for the advice, friends.
    should i go for the trade, i am going to swap the components over the new frame. They are basically stock of VT2, except for the SRAM gearing, hydros, seatpost, and Vanilla125.
    I hope the Vanilla is not too short for the Reign.
    Actually, I was thinking to use 5" setup on the back of the VT, should it help to clear the standover. Would you happen to know if setting the shock travel to 5" will change standover height?

mtbr member

VT, Reign Frame weights

Can anyone tell how much a VT frame weighs, how much a Reign frame weighs?

mtbr member
    my '05 Reign 2 18 inch frame weighed 7.15 lbs using the US Post Office digital scales. This is without the seatpost and headset, just the frame/rear shock, and the seat post clamp.

mtbr member
    AM, sicwombat,
    People said that standover height of Reign is very generous. I just measured that my inseam is less than 30", and crotch clearance becomes a major issue (this is why I am thinking of selling the VT, which is, otherwise, a wonderful bike).

My LBS has only 1 Reign frame, and no maestro bike except for the Faith.
    I strongly believe that I can only try the frame (after swapping the components) when the deal is done (dont blame this LBS. He is the lesser of the evils, the rests are even more byotch)

Other frame the LBS offers me is an Ells Moment. On the site, it seems this one has lower standover than the Reign, but it seems that numbers can lie sometimes, as I see the standover size of Reign in MBA review is different from the one on their website, and the physical look of the Reign's top tube looks very low.
    Many thanks for your enlightenment

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have tall torso and short inseam (29" I think). The 16.5" VT has enough standover. When I standover a 18" Reign with 130 fork, the Reign has a bit less standover. The 16" Reign should give you plenty of standover. Reign will have more than a Moment (it's a great one too). I wouldn't buy a full suspension bike based on standover. I think top tube length and fit is more important. For example, I'm 5'8" and like the fit of the 18" Reign over the 16" (due to long torso).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

reign size

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I have tall torso and short inseam (29" I think). The 16.5" VT has enough standover. When I standover a 18" Reign with 130 fork, the Reign has a bit less standover. The 16" Reign should give you plenty of standover. Reign will have more than a Moment (it's a great one too). I wouldn't buy a full suspension bike based on standover. I think top tube length and fit is more important. For example, I'm 5'8" and like the fit of the 18" Reign over the 16" (due to long torso).
    Hey, I'm 5 foot 9 inches (175 cm ) and my inseam is about 31 inches. The 16 inch R2 fits me just fine. The lowest point on the top tube is 27.5 inches (700mm). It all comes down to personal preference. Make sure you try to get a good ride before you hand over the cash !