mtbr member
    Feb 2006

n00b with some questions

Hi all. Not sure if this should be in this or another subforum...

I've got a 1998 Giant ATX 970, 26" (I know, old!). The front suspension is a bit tired and the rear is pretty stiff (I'm 175lbs). I'd like to know if I can get some recommendations on basic, reliable, well priced (under $200 each?) forks/shocks. The riding is do it just messing around out in the boonies, nothing extremely hard. Hard packed dirt and lots of rocks. I'd like things to be smoothed out a bit without breaking the bank and without having to worry about shoddy parts failing.

Any help would be appreciated

-Frank

In exile
    I am assuming it has a 1 1/8' steerer. I would find something nice, but used. There are lots of good used forks under $200. Most sub $200 forks new just aren't much to write home about. If you find some deals, feel free to PM me and I will help where I can, if it's worth you looking at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm actually not sure if it's 1 1/8" or not. Will have a look at that tomorrow.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do you have any suggestions for brands/models I should look for used? I'm almost totally clueless when it comes to the good/bad/ugly of cycling equipment

In exile
    Marzocchis are the easiest to rebuild, if they need it. Parts are still available for most older shocks, as they didn't change tubes and seals much. I would look for an 85mm Marathon, or an Xfly. I would sell my Xfly 80, if I still had it. I will see what I find, and post links. Do a search in classifieds here on Marathons, XFlys, and Atom Races. You should find something under $200. If it needs oil and seals, it will likely cost $50, if you don't do it yourself. Seals are about $30, for what that's worth. I'd buy one and ride it first though. They stand up a long time, and it should last you years with some maintenance. Marzocchi is also the least maintenance intensive of the bunch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i'd agree w/ marzocchi. check out the shocks forum for detailed discussions about rock shox vs manitou vs marzocchi.
    as a point of reference, i bought a used marzocchi z2 atom 80 on ebay for around $100, rode it every day for 2 years, and it was as good the day i sold it (which i still regret) as the day i bought it. i have the original z1 dropoff that came w/ my used 2001 AC1 last year, and i've ridden the poop out of it w/o any issues whatsoever.
    that's my 0.02

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guy, I'll watch for a deal on Marzocchis. Would you recommend the same for a rear shock?
    ===
    Edit
    Seems they're not too big on rear shocks. Guess I'll wait to hear what you guys think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i've not heard much on marzocchi's new rear shock that they came out w/in the last 1-2 yrs or so. again, IMHO, and bracketing the fact that i've had my AC for less than a year, i'm running a fox vanilla RC w/ propedal and am very happy. overall, air shocks are going to be lighter but slightly less durable than coil (spring) shocks, but the dampening will be better w/ air shocks (a fact somewhat mitigated w/ fox's propedal technology, which is also available on manitou's rear shocks, which are also very good).
    i'd stay away from rock shox rear shocks; my AC had a rock shox deluxe that came stock on it and the previous owner had issues w/ it (which i think many people have), and upgraded to fox.
    one last aside: i've heard fox's customer support and website are very helpful in terms of asking them "i've got x bike w/ x amount of rear travel and ride XC vs FR vs DH, which of your shocks should i get?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ok, I'll have a look at the Fox stuff too. Thanks alot guys.