Thread: my vt's worth

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

my vt's worth

hey guys, i haven't ridden in a while and decided to get back into it last season so i bought myself a vt1 and i bought the wife an iguana i think. well the wifes has never been ridden and the vt has only got two or three trail rides in it. I'm thinking of getting rid of them for right now but i have no idea where to start. the iguana is obviously brand new but so is my vt1. i know they don't make them in the states anymore, i bought mine like the week that the new ones came out (don't remember what their called). its brand new... anyone have any idea what i could list them for sale as???

Get out of town!
    Wiseman say: Your VT1 will never sell for what it is worth. Keep bike and ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It's worth $2.00 but I will be a nice guy and offer you $3.00!

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    My LBS is clearing out 04 VT3 complete bikes for $1000, so that might be a good starting point to assume that your used one should be less than that.

Bobs Bicycles is clearing out VT frames for $400, also something to keep in mind when pricing out your old one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As fantastic as the bike is, Giants just dont command a premium on the open market. If you cant get more than $1300, Id just keep (and ride) it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    But is not a VT1 much more valuable than a VT3??

I would say between 900 and 1200. Try either e-bay or the classifieds here for price comparisons.

It doesn't cost anything to keep a bike, so unless if you are never going to ride again or really need the money I would hang on to it.

Funny how you always lose when selling or buying.

Ridin' in XTC!

Ebay

A basically new VT1 should have no problem fetching $1000+ on Ebay. Nice VT2 models have been bringing $800 +/-...so with good feedback, good pics, and a good ad you will do alright...but you will never get your retail price back.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    But is not a VT1 much more valuable than a VT3??

I would say between 900 and 1200. Try either e-bay or the classifieds here for price comparisons.

It doesn't cost anything to keep a bike, so unless if you are never going to ride again or really need the money I would hang on to it.

Funny how you always lose when selling or buying.
    The difference between VT 1,2 or 3 are the component groups and maybe the shock, the frame is the same with different color schemes.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy155rr
    hey guys, i haven't ridden in a while and decided to get back into it last season so i bought myself a vt1 and i bought the wife an iguana i think. well the wifes has never been ridden and the vt has only got two or three trail rides in it. I'm thinking of getting rid of them for right now but i have no idea where to start. the iguana is obviously brand new but so is my vt1. i know they don't make them in the states anymore, i bought mine like the week that the new ones came out (don't remember what their called). its brand new... anyone have any idea what i could list them for sale as???
    I'm on the same boat, my VT is barely (don't want to say never) used and was contemplating the idea of selling the frame and save the money for another FS frame or a custom Ti SS frame.

Anybody has a good idea of the asking price for VT frames?

This is mine

The XMax are on the SS but the rest of the parts are still on the bike hanging from the wall.

MBAA!
    Used... I would say around 350. Depends on condition. 500 isnt likely but maybe 400 if its really nice. (Maybe im overestimating the price, or under. no idea... thats about what I would pay for a VT frame)

Worth it just to go ahead and keep the frame in my opinion.
    Last edited by en are es; 11-18-2005 at 06:55 PM.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Your best bet is to just keep the bike or upgrade the frame......if you feel there's a better frame for the $$$ out there.

The value of the frame alone isn't so high
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

I paid $300 for my 03' VT2 frame, I think it's worth every cent. Best value frame you can buy IMO.

mtbr member
    bikes, like anything else lose value as soon as you leave the shop. quality used bikes can be had for much much less than an equivalent new bike, year end clearances blow out new bikes (fully warranted and even serviced) for much less than full value...

take the hit, get what you can for it. it's only going to lose more value in time, not gain any.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    bikes, like anything else lose value as soon as you leave the shop. quality used bikes can be had for much much less than an equivalent new bike, year end clearances blow out new bikes (fully warranted and even serviced) for much less than full value...

take the hit, get what you can for it. it's only going to lose more value in time, not gain any.
    Very true about bikes losing their value the longer you hold onto it.

Seems like the virtual pivot design is the wave of the current and next several years. The VT is an older design (fancy single pivot) compared to the current offereings.

With that said, I do enjoy my newly built VT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Although lots of makers going back to single pivot. Hey look at Cannondale and according to the "experts" designs like Ventana, the new Turner's etc are single pivot bikes since they do not use a horst link.

Single pivots with the new linkage desings and platform shocks seem to be the rage as well.

mtbr member
    what's the reason for a virtual pivot? the meastro design looks like a wishbone suspension system. motorcycles generally use single pivot swingarms, there's a reason for that too. linear wheel travel in a verticle path seems like it'd reduce stability on landing from big jumps. swing arms increase the wheelbase through it's arc path while a linear path linkage would maintain wheelbase. since the fork decreases wheelbase through it's path of travel, it seems better to match it with a swingarm and hence improve stability.

raised cantilever chainstays... i wonder when those will come back into style.

the marketing spiel for maestro sounds just like the marketing spiel for nrs. "We've eliminated bob while remaining fully active!"

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle

Maybe I am crazy but it seems like the price on bikes/frames are seasonal....or... A couple years back I sold a 2001 NRS2 for $690 plus shippng and this included a SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, upgraded Duke SL U turn shock, Thomson post, Speed V seat. It was a really nice bike. Then a few months later the same bikes with lesser components were going for $800ish. I have watched prices fluctuate time and time again. Not exactly sure why. It's hard to tell what will happen with the VT models though since they have been disco'd.

BTW I sold this VT2 that I built up on ebay for 800 after shipping about 2 months ago...this was a nice bike too and I LOVED the way it rode But I already had 3 bikes and couldn't justify keeping it. Especially since one of my other bikes is a 04 Enduro Expert - apples and apples. I think you would regret selling it for cheap if it is your only bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    Maybe I am crazy but it seems like the price on bikes/frames are seasonal....or... A couple years back I sold a 2001 NRS2 for $690 plus shippng and this included a SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, upgraded Duke SL U turn shock, Thomson post, Speed V seat. It was a really nice bike. Then a few months later the same bikes with lesser components were going for $800ish. I have watched prices fluctuate time and time again. Not exactly sure why. It's hard to tell what will happen with the VT models though since they have been disco'd.

BTW I sold this VT2 that I built up on ebay for 800 after shipping about 2 months ago...this was a nice bike too and I LOVED the way it rode But I already had 3 bikes and couldn't justify keeping it. Especially since one of my other bikes is a 04 Enduro Expert - apples and apples. I think you would regret selling it for cheap if it is your only bike.
    like with cars, you get a better deal at certain times in the month, certain times in the year. i would think sell complete bikes in the spring, buy in autumn/winter, sell parts in autumn/winter. but in general, bikes lose alot of value fast, you sold a complete bike that's relatively new for 800. what was once worth over 3k msrp. sounds exactly right for a used bike, 2-300 for the frame (at the time, before people started clearing out their stock of vt's), 100 for the wheels, 200 for the fork, 100 for the brakes, 200 for the remaining drivetrain and controls.

nice paint on the frame tho. if it weren't such a porker, i'd have kept that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I bought a new VT2 for $1130

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy155rr
    I am seeing VT 2's and VT 3's for sale new at Center Cycle of Renton, WA and Bicycle Centres of Everett, WA as of 20 December 2005. I just purchased a 2004 VT 2 (18.5) for $1130 at Center Cycle. Bicycle Centres was selling the VT 3's for $1050 last week. I hope this gives you some pricing help. Good Luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0