Thread: My proposed VT

I just let one RIP

My proposed VT

I'm planning on building a VT from the frame up. I hope to have it done in a year, wallet permitting! Here is my proposed build: Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Rear shock: Manitou Swinger 3 way (I assume it comes with the frame)

Fork: Manitou Minute One (and since not OEM, it'll have 100-130mm travel!)

Headset: Chris King

Crankset and BB: Shimano XT

Front Der: SRAM X-9

Rear Der: SRAM X-9 (X-0 if I can afford it!)

Shifters: SRAM X-9 triggers

Cassette: Shimano XT

Bar: Easton EC 70 Monkeylite XC -- carbon composite (or Easton EA70 Monkey Riser -- aluminum)

Stem: Easton EA70 forged

Seatpost: USE Alien Aluminum

Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth

Brakes: Avid CPS Mechanical disc

Levers: Avid Speed Dial SL

Already Have:
    Pedals: Shimano 545

Rims: Mavic XM 819

Hubs: XT centerlock disc

[paste title here]
    A couple of comments I have is that I think the VT comes with an internal headset (intergrated or whatever it is) so i dont tihnk a regular ck headset will work. However ck does make the type of headset that work with giant's headsets but I dont think they have released it yet. The stock headset on the vt is the same on all of giants high end model (on my NRS) and I think those will do fine. Other than that it looks like a sweet build you have there. Post some pics when you get finished with it.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    A couple of comments I have is that I think the VT comes with an internal headset (intergrated or whatever it is) so i dont tihnk a regular ck headset will work. However ck does make the type of headset that work with giant's headsets but I dont think they have released it yet. The stock headset on the vt is the same on all of giants high end model (on my NRS) and I think those will do fine. Other than that it looks like a sweet build you have there. Post some pics when you get finished with it.
    It does come with an integrated headset and there are only a few that fit. The cane creek zero stack is nice.

mtbr remember
    The headsets on Giants are not "integrated" - which use the frames headtube as bearing cups (very bad as you have to replace the whole frame when they are worn). Giants use an "internal" or zero stack headset, which just has the headset pressed into the headtube, therefore being "zero stack" and not protruding. Look for the Cane Creek ZS series headsets, not the IS (integrated) headsets. I believe the headsets that Chris King makes in this style require modification or reaming the the headtube on Giants in order to fit.
    Why not the Minute 3? it's lighter- Or do you prefer the feel of a coil fork? Also why do you choose the centerlock hubs and the Avid mechs? Do the centerlock hubs work w/ the avids? I personally would go hydro and IS 6bolt- more choices and better brakes IMO- Hope Monos! You can also use Magura Martas w/ the XT integrated shifter/brake levers since they both use mineral oil, a very light combo. Also I would go thomson for the cockpit, but that is all preference, Just thought I would add my opinion, I'm sure you will love the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Avid brakes and Shimano rotors will not play nice together- the brake track on Shimano rotors is narrower than the Avids- too much of the rotor arm will pass through the Avids braking surface and you will get a pulsating brake. Maybe by the time you are ready to build it there will be adapters out which allow the use of standard 6-bolt rotors with center lock hubs- then you can use the Avid rotors (or maybe Avid will make center lock rotors?)

I like the Avid mechs, but for my VT I went with hydros because of the "S" bends necessary to get from the top tube to the rear triangle could make for inconsistent rear brake feel.

I would also second the vote for a Thomson seatpost- well made, good looking, light and strong.

XC rider/racer

My suggestions....

Seatpost- Go for a Thomson 30.9 its bullet-proof and ditch the seatpost shim.

Crankset- Consider the new Raceface Deus....outboard bearings like the Shimano XT but a little bit lighter.

Saddle- I`ve found the Selle Flite Italia Ti a very good seat.

Pedals- I have a set of the 545`s and they are seriously heavy (564g), i switched mine to the Shimano 540`s, much lighter at 350g, and still offer enough platform for those times you need to pedal unclipped.

Bar- Maxm MX5....if i was going with a carbon bar Maxm would be my choice

Stem- Thomson or Ritchey WCS....both good quality stems

I just let one RIP

thanks

for pointing out about the headset, I hadn't realized that. This will be my first build, and I did not know there were different kinds of headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87

I just let one RIP

I had been told it should work

and I think the XT and XTR rotors might have different sized brake tracks, one of which may be big enough. But if not, then I look at the other brakes that have been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    The Avid brakes and Shimano rotors will not play nice together- the brake track on Shimano rotors is narrower than the Avids- too much of the rotor arm will pass through the Avids braking surface and you will get a pulsating brake. Maybe by the time you are ready to build it there will be adapters out which allow the use of standard 6-bolt rotors with center lock hubs- then you can use the Avid rotors (or maybe Avid will make center lock rotors?)

I like the Avid mechs, but for my VT I went with hydros because of the "S" bends necessary to get from the top tube to the rear triangle could make for inconsistent rear brake feel.

I would also second the vote for a Thomson seatpost- well made, good looking, light and strong.

I just let one RIP

Good suggestions, thanks

I looked at the Raceface Deus--looks good! Is the BB that it comes with as good as the one that comes with the XT?

I'll probably stay with my current pedals for now, since I already have them, but may eventually look at something like the 540s.

Thompson stem appears to be the stem of choice! I had picked the USE because it was listed as very light, about 40g less than the Thompson. Of course, I don't know how much the shim weighs, that may be 40g anyway, in which case the Thompson would not be any heavier.

I'll look in the Maxm bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Seatpost- Go for a Thomson 30.9 its bullet-proof and ditch the seatpost shim.

Crankset- Consider the new Raceface Deus....outboard bearings like the Shimano XT but a little bit lighter.

Saddle- I`ve found the Selle Flite Italia Ti a very good seat.

Pedals- I have a set of the 545`s and they are seriously heavy (564g), i switched mine to the Shimano 540`s, much lighter at 350g, and still offer enough platform for those times you need to pedal unclipped.

Bar- Maxm MX5....if i was going with a carbon bar Maxm would be my choice

Stem- Thomson or Ritchey WCS....both good quality stems

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Dream VT

This is my dream bike...oh wait, I already have it! Okay, of course I can do some more stuff to it. I would like to add a Thompson seat post, maybe a new saddle, but thats about it. I just added the cross max sl's and I am very impressed with the feel of the VT after adding them. They make the bike feel overall more responsive in the technical stuff.

03 VT1
    Swinger 4 way shock, Minute 1 Fork
    Monkey Lite risers
    Hayes Hydro Disks (i bent the front rotor and could only find an Avid replacement, but that works fine)
    XTR shifters, XT Front (bottom pull) and Rear Der
    SRAM PC 99 chain (golden link rocks!)
    Race Face Prodigy XC cranks
    Titec stem and seat post (I hate the shim, and it is a constant source of creaking unless you grease it regularly) These should and will be replaced.
    WTB saddle, now worn out. Need suggestion for something new.
    04 Crossmax SL's
    Hutch Python UST (I am probably the only guy out there who loves these tires. I have had great luck with holding air, no pinch flats. I don't use Stans, but am thinking about it so I can leave the spare tube at home. I live in a hilly area in Northern Virginia and find that the tires hook up well on the steep uphills. You have to run the tires between 30-40 for good traction, but at those pressures, you can still run em fast on the flats)
    Last edited by Spongedog; 06-15-2004 at 09:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongedog
    This is my dream bike...oh wait, I already have it! Okay, of course I can do some more stuff to it. I would like to add a Thompson seat post, maybe a new saddle, but thats about it. I just added the cross max sl's and I am very impressed with the feel of the VT after adding them. They make the bike feel overall more responsive in the technical stuff.

03 VT1
    Swinger 4 way shock, Minute 1 Fork
    Monkey Lite risers
    Hayes Hydro Disks (i bent the front rotor and could only find an Avid replacement, but that works fine)
    XTR shifters, XT Front (bottom pull) and Rear Der
    SRAM PC 99 chain (golden link rocks!)
    Race Face Prodigy XC cranks
    Titec stem and seat post (I hate the shim, and it is a constant source of creaking unless you grease it regularly) These should and will be replaced.
    WTB saddle, now worn out. Need suggestion for something new.
    04 Crossmax SL's
    Hutch Python UST (I am probably the only guy out there who loves these tires. I have had great luck with holding air, no pinch flats. I don't use Stans, but am thinking about it so I can leave the spare tube at home. I live in a hilly area in Northern Virginia and find that the tires hook up well on the steep uphills. You have to run the tires between 30-40 for good traction, but at those pressures, you can still run em fast on the flats)
    That's nice VT 03......
    I'm in love with my VT2 and wouldn't swap it for anything else
    Been thinking about mods and stuff but the parts on it is as good and in fact better than what I need. Can't stop smiling

happy VT2 rider

XC rider/racer

Raceface BB

Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    I looked at the Raceface Deus--looks good! Is the BB that it comes with as good as the one that comes with the XT?

Early rumours/reports are suggesting that the Raceface outboard bearings are going to last longer than the XT`s, but IMHO I think its just too early to tell....the Deus hasnt really been out that long.

XC rider/racer

Nice ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Spongedog

Titec stem and seat post )
    Nice ride Spongedog, did the Titec stem come stock on the bike? It looks like it has quite a rise on it.
    Vt1`s in Australia here are getting the Easton EA70 stem.
    Also a hint....
    I used silver duct tape to protect the frame from cable rub, you`ll barely be able to see its there unless you look really closely...it matches that Giant silver quite well, and gives excellent protection
    Cheers

mtbr remember
    The RaceFace bottombracket bearing cups are interchangeable w/ the Shimano if your worried about one being better than the other. The RaceFace bb has an adjustable chainline w/ the use of spacers if you feel the need for that? As for the x is better than y thing, yeah I think it is too early to tell, the rumors are probably just fueled by the canadian vs. japanese components argument.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Actually, the Titec came on my old NRS 1. The NRS frame broke and Giant warrenteed it, then gave me a choice between another NRS or a VT. I moved the Titec from there. Thanks for the tip on the tape (I never liked the way the black tape looked)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, the titec fast-al stem and titec hell-bent handlebar comes stock with the 03 VT, i think the stem might appear a little long and higher but i think that it works for the VT pretty well
    Last edited by Mr. VT; 06-17-2004 at 11:32 PM.