mtbr member
    Apr 2005

My new trance!!!

HI, Its just to show you guys my new bike, Im always changing bike, i star off a trek 4500., a month later i bought a KHS XC504, two months later i got a cannondale jekyll, after three month i bough and i hope my finally Bike , the GIANT TRANCE> here are some pictures of my new bike..

Pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Me racing the Trance

racing the trance 2

MTB B'dos
    Welcome to the Family I'm sure you'll stick with the Trance for a while. Looks like a very nice, sensible build. What sort of weight do you have it at and how does it feel racing? What stem is that you're using - angle? I run a 100mm/7 degree stem reversed on mine 25mm of spacers. That rear brake line looks a bit long in photo2, no problems with it kinking?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

thanks

thanks I really like the bike, its a bit harder the suspension than my jekyll, but faster.it weights like 29 pounds, the stem its like -5 degrees with a riser handlerbar. im using 35mm spacer, and the brake like its just it looks long, because when i took the picture i was fixing something on the brake lines with zip ties, so its looks long, but its not..

about racing the trance, since im not in the expert category, its a good bike, it handles really well, the suspension is awesome, its a bit heavy for a xc race bike. but i so far so good.....

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Nice ride. Nite and day difference from the KHS 504 eh? I recently retired my 304 frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

oh yeah

oh yeah, big difference with the khs, im really happy with this bike, the only upgrade im thinking to do it in this bike, is to change the wheels, and the pedals..

mtbr member
    How come it's only got the Octalink XT on it and not the Hollowtech 2?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge
    How come it's only got the Octalink XT on it and not the Hollowtech 2?
    Probably because the Hollowtech 2 isn't worth the extra cash. I'm building a Trance 1 frame right now too. The new design is prone to stripping out the fine splines if things get dicey, and it's not worth the extra money for the small weight savings. I'm using the XT octilink as well.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Corski67
    Probably because the Hollowtech 2 isn't worth the extra cash. I'm building a Trance 1 frame right now too. The new design is prone to stripping out the fine splines if things get dicey, and it's not worth the extra money for the small weight savings. I'm using the XT octilink as well.
    Going on this discussion and looking at the photos I too noticed he used the older style XT M752 cranks. If you're a fan of them then you'll be glad to know Jenson has them on sale now for $89. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...BCrankset.aspx
    Also I noticed no new RR RD and Jenson has the older non RR RD's on sale for $39 right now. Happy shopping

Don't know what you mean by dicey, but mine seem fine so far and I've given them some good abuse, but I also give them some good care and check them regulary as they're so easy to get on and of.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Going on this discussion and looking at the photos I too noticed he used the older style XT M752 cranks. If you're a fan of them then you'll be glad to know Jenson has them on sale now for $89. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...BCrankset.aspx
    Also I noticed no new RR RD and Jenson has the older non RR RD's on sale for $39 right now. Happy shopping

Don't know what you mean by dicey, but mine seem fine so far and I've given them some good abuse, but I also give them some good care and check them regulary as they're so easy to get on and of.
    I have no first hand experience with the newer M760 cranks - Just what I've read on this site from reviews. Just a few - But there are some reports of stripped splines. I always wonder what people are doing when the break good quality parts, so I take those reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes I think people are just bragging about breaking expensive parts to show what studs they are. Nothing against the newer cranks. I just think the older XT M752 cranks are a better value at $89, which I just paid for them on Jenson.com! Good tip, by the way. Unfortunately they are making me wait for the bottom bracket I ordered with it. They seem to do that to me quite often. I've just gotten most of the parts for the build. I've disassembled the frame and scuffed it for an extra coat of urethane clear for some extra battlefield protection. I should be starting the build in a couple of days.

Highlights:
    Shimano XT M752 cranks
    Shimano M765, cassette, brakes, derailleurs, dual control shifters
    Easton EC70 bars w/FSA XC140 100mm x 6deg. Stem
    Marzocchi MX Pro Forks
    Mavic 717 w/XT centerlock hubs
    Panaracer XC Pro tires
    Thomson Seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    thanks I really like the bike, its a bit harder the suspension than my jekyll, but faster.it weights like 29 pounds, .....
    i have a jekyll and am considering the '06 trance 2 and the cannondale rush. Can you give a more detailed comparison between the jek and the trance? what type of terrain do you typically ride? i really love the lefty fork, and the c-dale rush also gives 5 in of travel (as opposed to 4 on the trance).

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Corski67
    I just think the older XT M752 cranks are a better value at $89, which I just paid for them on Jenson.com! Good tip, by the way.
    No problemo. I got my HT2s from Jenson at LX prices so I think I got a great deal and love how easy they are to take off and install.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You see differents components on the bike becuasei bought the frame and the parts to build it..

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    You see differents components on the bike becuasei bought the frame and the parts to build it..
    See that's what I was trying to figure. Since the Frame says "1". but I thought (and just confirmed) that the frameset doesn't come with a number only Trance on the downtube. Well still a nice build.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    The cannondales use a falling rate suspension (including the Rush). Trance uses a rising rate suspension. What this means is the Cannondales will typically use all the travel on smaller obstacles, while the Trance will need a bit of a bigger obstacle to use its travel.

Although Trance is 1" less suspension this may not be such a bad thing. With a falling rate suspension you cannot use as much sag as a rising rate, or else you would bottom out very fast (this can be muted somewhat by the use of a progressive air shock).

From the AMB mag reviews of the Rush, they said the Rush is not as harsh as the Jek. So, one would expect the Rush to be a far better suspension (than Jek) and the review loved the Rush for endurance type events. I could rave on and on about Maestro and its benefits...loves the rough stuff... solid pedalling..... but ultimately you must buy a bike that suites your needs.

Giant fans close your eyes and don't read any further.... (but I would get the Rush if I had lots of money to spend ) Now all you Trance owners can have your say....
    wow - thanks for the constructive and informative post!