Thread: My new trance 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

My new trance 1

Hello,

I am a happy owner of a 2008 trance 1. I wanted this bike for over a year but different reasons
    kept me from getting it. For 2008 I also had to choose between the X version and the normal
    one. Coming from XC riding style and from a HT I got scared of the geometry of the trance x
    so I decided to go for the normal trance 1.

Although I haven't had the chance to ride it much I wanted to share with you my first impressions.

Firstly it feels very plush !!!! I have checked many times to see if I have less air but the sag
    is always right on (~1cm). I used to have a low back problem and the hardtail was giving me
    a hard time. Now going down is a blast !!!!!! Also going up trails seems to be better than with
    the HT.

Sram X9 shifting is smooth but I hate that they don't have an index.

Ground clearnce is very low!!! I constantly hit the pedals on the rocks and roots!

All in all this is a very good bike and I am happy with my choice!

mtbr member
    Great bike! The Trance X is a great bike but overall people are getting a little crazy with travel and slacker geometry these days and forgetting great XC bikes like the regular Trance.

I have many similar components on my Azure (taken from my 06 Trance 2 frame) and many still ride great. The X9 and XC Evolve stuff is great. And your fork rules. Just be careful as you blow past the all-mountain bikes on your singletrack!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes it is a great bike. I picked up my trance 1 in January and done about 1800km since including my first 100km endurance. So has it lived up to my expectations? Definitely.

I'm assuming you're referring to the lack of gear indicator? I missed this initially but not having one does have its benefits too. You get more connected to your gears and get a much better feel for the gear you want to be in rather than the gear you think you should be in.

Yes, the bottom bracket is low but you soon learn to compensate for it. The weight of the bike and the excellent fork make it easy to lift the front wheel off the ground to avoid hitting most things.

As for shifting, I've been really impressed with the bike. Apart from the occasional tweaking the shifting has remained absolutely solid the whole time. My old bike gave me quite a bit of grief on this front (coming from a low-normal derailleur) and I think that's the norm. Sometimes I change gear on the trance and it's so smooth that I don't believe it's shifted.

Avid 5 brakes are great. I love the fact that you can easily control the power and that they don't lock up the wheels unless you really want to.

So are there any bad points? A few...

The standard chain didn't last very long. I expected it to last much longer and before I knew it I had wrecked the middle chain ring, the rear cassette and the derailleur jockey wheels. That was an expensive mistake. Get a chain tester if you don't have one.

The saddle is not good for long distance. In preparation for the endurance race I found this very painful. Replaced it with the Fizik Gobi and not had a problem since.

But the biggest problem is not being able to ride the bike often enough. Family and work commitments just seem to get in the way somehow.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]This thread is dead without pics, come on, I want to see what other people Trance 1ís look like.

Itís a shame you get the Avidís in Aus cos the Strokerís are much better and the only reason I swapped so much on mine was cos Iíd had previous experience with most of it and had a lot of problems.

I think Iíve just about managed to learn to compensate for the low BB although I did manage to land the big chain ring on a fallen tree last week which nearly sent me over the bars.

Iíve been on a bout 15 rides so far and with the exception of the one where I really did go over the bars (first crash in 6 yrs) it has been the best bike Iíve ever ridden, you seem to get a lot more of the racy, lively feel of the Anthem and really great single track performance than the Trance X. Everything about it is just great, even the matte blue rather than the awful anodized you get on the X range.

I think the chain will have to go, Iím getting a slight knocking in some gears which is easily ignorable if you use other gears but they are my primary gears.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    @EFG168

I know about the pics....will post some soon! By the way you live in the UK right? I wish I was
    into MTB when I was in Bath! This photo you have reminds me of the Keneth and Avon Canal so much!

@jimbob66

I also have the stroker trail discs. I don't have any complains from the, devo, saddle. Much
    better than the SDG I have in my HT.

By the way, how often do you change your brake pads? Have you used other brands eg Fibrax? I read in the Hayes manual that they should be changes every 500km. Isn't that too
    soon?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, I live in the UK, it was taken at a nice old mill pond near Slinfold in Sussex to be precise. Doesnít MBUK operate from Bath, I suppose there must be some good riding round there in summer then.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    Iíve done about 200km of riding and I canít see any wear on the pads yet, thatís probably just one of those funny things they say in manuals cos you donít really need to change pads until they have worn out.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah! It's the base of future publishing. There must be some good trails in the Aston Court
    in Bristol.

Hrere is a pic, not as good as yours though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Nice, although I canít believe your still riding with the original grips, they completely wrecked my hands in only 2 short rides, Iíve got Bontrager foam grips now and theyíre great.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Impression update!

After putting a few km in I am posting my comments on the bike.

First annoying thing I noticed is the squeek that the rear break is making in moderate speeds.
    Very annoying!!!!!

Second is that I think that the chainline is way off!!!! When using middle ring with 34 sprocket
    the chain is very diagonal ! It looks like the chainrings should be shifted towards the BB.
    Has anyone else noticed that?

I also have a hard time setting the air pressure in the RP2. 160 is too soft. 190 was too much.
    Now I have 185. I weigh 84kg. Any suggestions?

Have you also changed anything that really made a difference? How about 7" rotors up front
    or semi meatallic pads?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Brakes: both my Trance and Trance X had turkey gobble (a kind of boiling sound/feel) and screamed when I put power in and the rear rotor rubbed. Semi metallic pads may help quieten them a bit but the noise has mostly gone away on both of my bikes with use and Iíve had such a hard time with Avid and Shimano brakes I have learned to live with it.

Chain line: if your using it both big rings (which shouldnít be done) then it will be a bit odd so you should find a gear combo thatís a little less extreme like smaller cogs on both ends to balance out. And check that you have 2 spacers on the right side of the BB, if you have more it will explain your problem, less and it starts causing other problems.

Set the suspension so there is about 25% sag of full travel on the O ring (when youíve measured what full travel is on that shock) thatís where I run it and where the dealer told me to after telling me I'd been running my bikes far to high for years.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am not using wrong gear combination! What I noticed happens with the middle chainring
    which usually runs fine with all sprockets. But the front dťrailleur works perfectly so I guess
    it was set that way by the factory!

I will be patient for the breaks, although this seams to be a manufacturing/design fault that
    Hayes is aware of but haven't provided any solution yet

I have noticed that big changes in air pressure have small changes in sag but big ones in performance. That's why I don't trust the sag method. I will try and see were is the correct
    one for me. Next ride will be with 185psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Brakes

I had quite a bit of squeeking (when the brake wasn't being applied) from my front brake, but 100 miles of riding more or less did away with it, that and cleaning the rotors with isopropyl alcohol.

As for the comment about knocking, I had some serious knocking coming from my crank area when I first bought the bike. Turns out it wasn't tightened correctly and a couple of loose bolts were the culprit. I have had trouble keeping my bolts on the cranks tight, in fact. It might be time for so thread lock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will somebody with a Trance 1 tell me if there is a reducer for the top eyelet bolt connecting the rear shock to the frame? I was just starting a ride the other day and wondering when there was so much groaning from the frame, only to discover that the top eyelet bolt had come free of the frame on the left side as you look forward. In other words, it was going through the shock and the frame on the right side, but not through the frame on the left side.

I let the air out of the shock, realigned the shock, and screwed it in, but I couldn't tell if I had lost a reducer. It seems like the fit for the bolt is fairly tight in the right side and that there would be little room for a reducer, but I keep thinking there was probably one there and it fell out when the bolt came loose.

As the Giant website is no help, will somebody take a look at their top eyelet bolt and let me know if there is supposed to be a reducer? Thanks.