Motion activated

My new Reign (or something like it)

Got me one of those Performance closeout Reign's and swapped (most) all the parts from my Turner Burner as stop gap. I'm still deciding on a fork (thinking 66sl or a pike) so I've been doing a little experimenting with some forks I have laying about.

It climbed the local trails very well with a Vanilla set at 120mm (way better than the Burner), but obviously descending wasn't so good . I transplanted the front end (wheel, fork, brake) from my wife's DH bike to see how the bike liked a a/c of 555. I've only had a chance to play around on some urban stuff, but it's pretty freaking impressive with that Super T bolted on the front. Don't know if it'll be too raked out for single track (DH) until I get it on the trails, but the BB height, HA and STA feel great for mowing stuff down. 8" rotor felt so much better as well. I guess time will tell, but think this could be the bike I’ve been looking for ever since I moved to Colorado and that 66SL should have me climbing and descending better than ever. Anyway enough ranting, here are the pic's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (85.9 KB, 367 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 367 views)
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Got me one of those Performance closeout Reign's and swapped (most) all the parts from my Turner Burner as stop gap. I'm still deciding on a fork (thinking 66sl or a pike) so I've been doing a little experimenting with some forks I have laying about.

It climbed the local trails very well with a Vanilla set at 120mm (way better than the Burner), but obviously descending wasn't so good . I transplanted the front end (wheel, fork, brake) from my wife's DH bike to see how the bike liked a a/c of 555. I've only had a chance to play around on some urban stuff, but it's pretty freaking impressive with that Super T bolted on the front. Don't know if it'll be too raked out for single track (DH) until I get it on the trails, but the BB height, HA and STA feel great for mowing stuff down. 8" rotor felt so much better as well. I guess time will tell, but think this could be the bike I’ve been looking for ever since I moved to Colorado and that 66SL should have me climbing and descending better than ever. Anyway enough ranting, here are the pic's.
    Good score. Nice little Motolite in the background, DH bike...your wife must share your obsession.
    Interested in your comment about the Reign outclimbing the Burner... I'd have thought the Burner would be somewhat lighter and relatively efficient?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Good score. Nice little Motolite in the background, DH bike...your wife must share your obsession.
    Interested in your comment about the Reign outclimbing the Burner... I'd have thought the Burner would be somewhat lighter and relatively efficient?
    Thanks Haggis - yes, I'm rather lucky that the wife loves to MTB as well. The fact is I had to get a bike with more travel to keep up with her on the DH. Even since she had her fork and shock Pushed, she turned the tables and was kicking my butt.

We have a lot of steep, nasty, loose & rocky single track climbs and the Reign with the fox at 120mm has a steep HA, STA and long chain stays which puts me in a very balanced position to climb. The same 120mm on the Burner was a compromise (it was designed around 100mm fork) so I had to expend a lot of effort to keep weight on the front. The burner with an 80mm fork had a lot better geometry for climbing, but the BB was too low and 80mm isn't enough for the rocks here. Also the reign seems to roll over square edge rocks a bit better, so you don't loose your momentum.

This isn't to say the Burner is a bad climber at all. Given trails more suited to 4" of travel, the Burner would be all over the Reign. In a nutshell the Burner was just a (my) bad choice for the “fun” front range trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (114.3 KB, 317 views)

Never mind.............

Wink Sweet bike there,Steve...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71

Hey Steve...thats a sweet ride you've built..nice!!!!...I like the pink Titus,too...By the way,the money's on the way to you for the burner...peace...John

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn2003
    Hey Steve...thats a sweet ride you've built..nice!!!!...I like the pink Titus,too...By the way,the money's on the way to you for the burner...peace...John
    Thanks John, I just got the MO so I can ship out your Burner tomorrow. Have you got all the parts to put on it yet?

MTB B'dos
    Nice build there Steve and man r u lucky to have a SO who shares your passion (like her ride too). Curious to hear your feelings on the Reign after you've had it a while and really cool to hear a Turner guy switching to a Maestro based bike - must mean they can compete with the boutique bikes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Nice build there Steve and man r u lucky to have a SO who shares your passion (like her ride too). Curious to hear your feelings on the Reign after you've had it a while and really cool to hear a Turner guy switching to a Maestro based bike - must mean they can compete with the boutique bikes.
    Thanks! There is defiantly some interest from Turner owners in the DW/Maestro stuff. There have been some threads in the Turner forum asking Dave Turner to license the design. I doubt it will happen though....