mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My Custom Giant Trance

So I was on the search for a Full Suspension bike something decent, after a bit of searching I came to find the Giant Trance bikes, at first I was looking at the 2008, but the more I looked at the 2005 model the more I fell in love with it. So I searched and search and came across a ad on Craigslist for $400.00 After talking with the seller I decided to purchase it.

When I received the bike it was in beat condition, dirty as hell and needed a lot of love. I spent 3 hours cleaning the bike since the previous owner didn't really wash it or maintain it. Got everything together and took it to the shop to get a tune and have it running properly.

Shop tuned it best they can and took it out for a spin. I wasn't expecting much since most of the parts needed replacing anyways but it rode beautifully, had a bit of shifting problems. After a few months roll by I started to get agitated with the shifting problems and chain skip problem that all of sudden started. I had plans to strip the bike and powder coated it since it had a bit of cable rub through the paint. While I would strip the bike I would get parts. 1 thing let to another and I practically decided to rebuild it completly.

I purchased new Suspension Pivot Bearings from Enduro Maxx, headset bearings Stainless Steel, new Race Face Deus/Atlas Bottom Bracket, new SRAM PG-990 Cassette, New SRAM PC-971 Powerlink chain, New SRAM X-7 Shifters, New SRAM X-9 Rear Derailleur, New seals for the Fox Float R, New bushings and reducers for the Fox Float R, received a Hand Me Down Fox Vanilla fork. I had a buddy of mine custom make me some Vinyl Decals so I can make the bike my personal 1 of a kind.

When I stripped the bike I was originally gonna powder coat it white, as I was preparing the bike and stripping the paint, I came to love the Brushed Aluminum look. After playing with Photoshop I decided to leave the aluminum raw and let it naturally oxidize to protect the aluminum. With the money saved from powder coating I took that money and bought a few of the parts mentioned above.

The Bike is not finished yet, I'm waiting on a few parts to arrive before it can be taken on the trail but for the most part it's almost ready. Hope you enjoy the build.

SPECS:

2005 Giant Trance 3
    Fox Vanilla 125
    Fox Float R (Rebuilt)
    Race Face Evolve XC Crank
    Race Face Deus/Atlas Bottom Bracket
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheelset with DT Swis Hubs 26"
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 26"x2.1" Front and Rear
    SRAM X-7 1:1 ESP 3x9 Speed Shifter Set
    SRAM X-9 1:1 ESP 9 Speed Rear Derailleur
    SRAM PG-990 11-32 9 Speed Cassette
    SRAM PC-971 Powerlink 9 Speed Chain
    ACB 36x45 Stainless Steel Bearing headset
    Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
    Easton Monkey Lite CT2 600mm 150g 25.4 Carbon Fiber Handle Bars
    Easton Ghetto Seatpost
    Easton Ghetto Stem
    ODI Lock Grips
    WTB Speed-V Saddle

Pics:

Before:

After:

Parts:

Some of the pieces needed new life such as the rockers and bolts. I stripped them to get ready for powder coating. I decided to do a wrinkle black, I've always liked the way wrinkle black comes out when I powder coat parts in it. I think it sets the bike nicely.

The bike should be ready next week as more parts come in through the week. Hope you enjoy my build and will post pics wen its ready.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    whats with the puma stickers?

mtbr member
    Puma the shoe company, I collect Puma shoes, wore it since I was 6. Do work on the Puma forums etc etc. Trying to get them to do stuff for MTB since at the moment they're just doing stuff for Road Bikes, fixed gear peeps. Puma King is a nick name I've had since middle school.

Sorry Ricekilla is my brothers SN this is Puma King.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nice one. love the trance.

trance frames always look fantastic raw, but those big pumaking stickers don't work. i reckon you could get away with the ones on the chainstays, but the big ones are just a bit much for me. less is more.

btw how did you strip the paint?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    nice one. love the trance.

trance frames always look fantastic raw, but those big pumaking stickers don't work. i reckon you could get away with the ones on the chainstays, but the big ones are just a bit much for me. less is more.

btw how did you strip the paint?

I used a Aircraft Remover that you get at your local auto parts store, the crap at Walmart sucks.

After the paint came off I ran it on a Bench Grinder with a Fine Wire brush wheel to give it somewhat of a polish. The hydroformed tubes when stripped kinda had a dull greyish white look to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice. You have a good eye for style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If those forks are out of warranty then I hope you give them a make-over too. Those stickers at least should go. If you have a little experience with forks you can pull the lowers off, redo the oil and seals while you are at it, and repaint (or polish) the lowers/sliders.

There is one tiny thing that is buggin me, but the puma on the right hand side of the bike is leaping towards the back of the bike. I think it should be leaping forwards. This may go against the Puma puma always facing to the left or something. It shouldn't really be too hard to mirror it and re-cut it. Perhaps both pumas could be a little bigger too so that they are slightly bigger than the letters. From a distance they may be a little skinny.

Anyway, you are the style king, whatever you decide will look great. I look forward to photos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iamamodel
    If those forks are out of warranty then I hope you give them a make-over too. Those stickers at least should go. If you have a little experience with forks you can pull the lowers off, redo the oil and seals while you are at it, and repaint (or polish) the lowers/sliders.

There is one tiny thing that is buggin me, but the puma on the right hand side of the bike is leaping towards the back of the bike. I think it should be leaping forwards. This may go against the Puma puma always facing to the left or something. It shouldn't really be too hard to mirror it and re-cut it. Perhaps both pumas could be a little bigger too so that they are slightly bigger than the letters. From a distance they may be a little skinny.

Anyway, you are the style king, whatever you decide will look great. I look forward to photos!

Im not doing the forks at this moment, although they are a older model they only have about 4 months of use. But thats not to say they dont need some freshing up. I dropped a decent bit of money on this rebuild probably about $400 maybe less. So I want to recoup some cash and then rebuild the fork and get new brakes. The brakes I have now are the OEM Hayes Sole and they're showing its age, so I need to save up for some Avid Juicy 7.

Im definitely going to replace the fox stickers, Im thinking of going with the brushed metal/silver/white sticker that are on the Fox Talas RP24 that are found on the Trek Fuel EX9 bikes.

As for the Puma leaping, I've thought of numerous designs and felt this way was just right. I've thought about your way, I've thought of also doing it horizontal. I also didn't want to ask of much from my friend since he did the stickers for free. I also didn't want to go too big either cause I didn't want it to wrap around the bottom tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds good.

Good spotting on the Talas RP24 sticker. I never noticed. Its perfect.

Can you PM me when you put photos up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh I'll keep updating this thread.

Update, got my rear derailleur in, had the bottom brackets installed, had the cassette installed.

Today was a slow day so I painted the the Giant logo on the head tube.

Pain Incorporated
    Sick build... I can't wait to see the final product! Giant Trances are awesome frames...I love mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    More goodies arrived, got new front Derailleur Shimano SLX, new race face spidle spacer/seal kit. Put the tires on and chain. Waiting for the seals for the Fox Float R rear shock and get it tuned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The stock mech hanger's are cr*p, if you didn't already know - there's a bloke on ebay who sells really nice CNC'd replacements for the same price as the Giant ones.

Always good to see some re-cycling - there's nothing wrong with the '05 trance's except the aweful stock bearings - the enduro ones last for ages.

Nice.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambon
    The stock mech hanger's are cr*p, if you didn't already know - there's a bloke on ebay who sells really nice CNC'd replacements for the same price as the Giant ones.
    It's a bit of a compromise - too much hanger strength and it won't do it's job. Last week I was happy to find my new X9 was undamaged after a fall off some structures; chucked on a new hanger and kept riding...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So my bike is nearing completion. I broke down and bought new Hydraulic Brakes. Avid Elixir R with 165mm Rotors all around. The Hayes Sole are past its days of riding. The bike shop still hasn't received the Fox Seals for my rear shock, just waiting on that and I'll be able to finally start riding again, so far its been about 3 weeks since I started, hopefully the $$$ and work will be worth it.

New brakes. $$$$

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    very very nice rebuild!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The seals came in for the Fox Float R, swapped them out. Lubed everything up, pressed in the new bushings and reducers, bike is now at the LBS getting cables and tune up. Brakes haven't arrived yet which I assume monday or tuesday. Everyone at the shop loved the look and the custom decals. Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Finally got my brakes in and installed them, also I got the bike back from the shop. Its all tuned and ready to go, just took it outside for a spin and oh man its sooo awesome, nice and smooth, good braking but will be better when the brakes pad break in. Here are the last pics, for the most part the bike is finished but possibly in a few months I may get a new front fork, chris king
    hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Good job man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks and I took it to my favorite trail on Tuesday, omg what a difference from before and now. The bike is ridiculously a lot faster and so much easier to climb. Some of the downhills got really scary because of how fast I was going. Overall I'm extremely happy.

hey iamamodel I spoke to my LBS they ordered the special fox stickers for me so it'll have that kickass brushed metal fox sticker, definitely look good.

Im looking to get new grips and the lbs has these lockon odi grips with white grips black caps, I think it would look good.