Ba ba ba bird bird bird

My 2011 Talon 29er 1 now with 140mm front travel

Hello all!

Thought I would share a picture of my Talon with a Marzocchi Micro Ti 29er set at 140mm. Originally I ran the fork at 120mm, an increase of +20mm over stock. After about 250miles, I decided to try it at 140mm. The terrain I ride really dictated the change. I wanted a slacker bike, with more travel.

I haven't ridden it yet with the change. I was just really excited to finish the travel change, so I figured I'd post up a terrible picture. I'm going to do a shake down run tomorrow, and will report back. I'll take some geometry numbers too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2011 Talon 29er 1 now with 140mm front travel-img_0635.jpg  

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    For reference here is what the bike looked like at 120mm. I've also upgraded to a Thompson set back seat post, and a Fizik Aliante Gamma Xm Kium seat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would be careful with that. You significantly changed your head tube angle. You can break your frame.

Go Speed Racer
    I see I am not the only one that peeled the stickers off the rims!

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    mtbdennis, I can only take so many "Giant" stickers.

So, I went on a very XC type ride today. 11 miles over relatively flat, rocky, root filled, terrain. The geometry change worked as promised. The ride was smoother, my shoulders were happy, and the fork ate up the challenge quite easily. I'm a happy camper

Sb. Reno, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Could you elaborate?

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    mtbdennis, I can only take so many "Giant" stickers. ?
    <-- Exactly

mtbr member
    What he means is that by adding travel you changed the head tube angle, that could translate to more stress on the head tube and could result on a broken weld or tube. Been there done that, mine broke (not a Giant) at the head tube and learned from it.

Tried 120mm on mine when I got the TST2 and hated it, it made the bike nervous and the front wheel wanted to lift most of the time during climbs, took it down to 100mm and it was magical.

Can understand what you're doing and how much you like it because my NSR is set very close to yours. The NRS was designed for a 80mm fork (can go up to 100mm), I'm running it at 130mm and for trail riding without steep climbs feels great but I know that it will break eventually and know that all warranties where voided when installed the fork with the extra travel so I'm ok with what ever happens.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    I can certainly understand a large increase in HT stress if the fork was rigid, but with such a plush fork I'll be suprised if the frame cracks. If anybody has studies or links on this subject, I would love to read into them.

Honestly I think the crappy stock Suntour was harder on the frame. It was certainly harder on me

But hey, if the frame breaks I'll be forced to buy a Tallboy LT frame. Oh the horrors!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Frankenbike.

Sell it and buy something designed for 140mm.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Here is a pic of "Frankentalon" after today's 10 mile ride. I'm definitely happy with my decision. It's plush, handles well, and is confidence inspiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2011 Talon 29er 1 now with 140mm front travel-talon.jpg