Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well Medium size giant trance x2 2013 for 173cm height

hi all,

I was a newbie when purchasing the trance x2 2013 and somehow I bought the medium size (my height is 173cm).
    it's a great bike, I enjoyed it a lot when climbing but feel it's a bit hard to control during descend or bumpy trial.

I feel it's partly because of oversized for me and so as the other said, but I don't want to resell/repurchase as it would cost me a lot.

any idea how can I minimize the oversizing problem?
    I have trimmed a bit the seatpost.
    would shorter stem / wider bar bring me better control?

mtbr member
    Medium sounds alright for your height. Are you running the correct sag, rebound and tire pressures? Those make a lot of difference.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Medium should theoretically be OK for you. If however you want to improve your control on descents and bumly trails you can do the following.

1. As mentioned before check your fork, shock and tire pressure.
    2. Make sure that you have the correct rebound settings so the fork and shock don't behave as a pogo stick. I prefer to run my shock with slower rebound than my fork.
    3. Buy a shorter stem and place it upright.
    4. Buy a wider handlebar. I use a 50mm stem and 780mm riser bar but this is just me.
    5. Buy a dropper post so you can position yourself better when riding trials.

Usually you can't correct a wrong size by replacing stems etc but in your case since the size isn't wrong it is more about fine tuning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aizen View Post
    Medium sounds alright for your height. Are you running the correct sag, rebound and tire pressures? Those make a lot of difference.
    Hi Aizen, phew! you ease my worry!
    I did adjust around the saddle to make my climbing much more comfortable, what should I do to fine tune the rebound and tire pressures? (sorry I ride mtb for few months only)
    appreciate!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Medium should theoretically be OK for you. If however you want to improve your control on descents and bumly trails you can do the following.

1. As mentioned before check your fork, shock and tire pressure.
    2. Make sure that you have the correct rebound settings so the fork and shock don't behave as a pogo stick. I prefer to run my shock with slower rebound than my fork.
    3. Buy a shorter stem and place it upright.
    4. Buy a wider handlebar. I use a 50mm stem and 780mm riser bar but this is just me.
    5. Buy a dropper post so you can position yourself better when riding trials.

Usually you can't correct a wrong size by replacing stems etc but in your case since the size isn't wrong it is more about fine tuning.
    Hi Paris, thanks for lot details!
    1. what's the theory behind for the fork / shock / tire adjustment?
    (I pump the tire to 50 psi, but never adjust the fork and shock)
    2. I know we can adjust the air pressure to the fork / shock, but how can we adjust the speed of rebound?
    3 & 4. that's something I want to give a shot, I am thinking to go for a 70/720 from the default 90/670 (stem/handlebar) with a cheap combo as ppl said it's a try & error to match, or should I go for a more aggressive one say 50?
    5. definitely I should! 5!

Aizen, Paris, thanks so much, so you ride trance 26' as well?
    did you rearrange the headset (ring?) below the stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcname View Post
    Hi Paris, thanks for lot details!
    1. what's the theory behind for the fork / shock / tire adjustment?
    (I pump the tire to 50 psi, but never adjust the fork and shock)
    2. I know we can adjust the air pressure to the fork / shock, but how can we adjust the speed of rebound?
    3 & 4. that's something I want to give a shot, I am thinking to go for a 70/720 from the default 90/670 (stem/handlebar) with a cheap combo as ppl said it's a try & error to match, or should I go for a more aggressive one say 50?
    5. definitely I should! 5!

Aizen, Paris, thanks so much, so you ride trance 26' as well?
    did you rearrange the headset (ring?) below the stem?
    1. These adjustments tailor the bike specifically to you and can make a world of difference to your riding. 50psi sounds too much for the trails. What's your weight? My tires are at 30psi.

2. There should be red-coloured rebound knobs on your fork and shock. These control the rebound damping. The more damping, the slower the rebound. The heaver you are the more damping you need.

3 & 4. I would go for a 50mm stem but that's just my preference. As for handlebars, 720-740mm should be adequate. Depends on your budget but most brands should be reliable.

Yes I used to ride a Trance 26" (2011 model), and the spacers were all below my stem. I prefer an upright riding position hence I didn't lower the stem height.

Hope others can chip in to help nikcname. I'm still getting used to my bike as well and am not the best expert to help.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    1. These adjustments tailor the bike specifically to you and can make a world of difference to your riding. 50psi sounds too much for the trails. What's your weight? My tires are at 30psi.

2. There should be red-coloured rebound knobs on your fork and shock. These control the rebound damping. The more damping, the slower the rebound. The heaver you are the more damping you need.

3 & 4. I would go for a 50mm stem but that's just my preference. As for handlebars, 720-740mm should be adequate. Depends on your budget but most brands should be reliable.

Yes I used to ride a Trance 26" (2011 model), and the spacers were all below my stem. I prefer an upright riding position hence I didn't lower the stem height.

Hope others can chip in to help nikcname. I'm still getting used to my bike as well and am not the best expert to help.

Thanks Aizen! your comment truly helps to get me more idea,
    my weight is around 145pounds (65kg).
    I believe I should give a try on 50/720 combo, a RS reverb and a fork pump, wow, leave me only raw bread...

I will keep reporting for such combo and see if it helps, picture if possible to share with the others.

another topics, which tyre you guys choose for the trance? the default is getting worn out and I am thinking to get maxxis crossmark 2.25...

mtbr member
    Thanks Aizen! your comment truly helps to get me more idea,
    my weight is around 145pounds (65kg).
    I believe I should give a try on 50/720 combo, a RS reverb and a fork pump, wow, leave me only raw bread...

I will keep reporting for such combo and see if it helps, picture if possible to share with the others.

another topics, which tyre you guys choose for the trance? the default is getting worn out and I am thinking to get maxxis crossmark 2.25...
    Don't rush into buying new parts for your bike. Just get the shock pump and do your tire and fork/shock pressure adjustments. Ride the bike a few times and see if you are enjoying it more.

The stem and handlebar can be changed later when you really want more out of your bike. the RS Reverb should come last and there are other good alternatives, such as the KS Lev.

As for tires, it is subjective depending on the type of terrain you ride in. What are the default tires? The general rule of thumb is to get a grippy, knobbier tire for the front and a fast rolling one for the rear. I love Kenda Nevegals but they are very draggy. Have heard good reviews for the Maxxis High Roller IIs but you might want to get a thicker tire because Maxxis tires are narrower than advertised. For example, a 2.25 tire is more like 2.1

Hope this helps!
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think running 50psi could explain the entire issue!

nikcname: I am 65kg like yourself. I happen to be 166cm and ride a
    small, but I would think a medium for you sounds right.

If I were you I'd make a few important changes first:

1. tyre pressure: I am running tubeless setup, 22psi front, 25psi rear. If you run tubeless, I cant see any need for you to exceed 30psi.

2. Run rebound fast at front, maybe 3 clicks from fully open as a test and consider lowering the fork pressure. If its a Fox fork, I and many others find the fork pressure to be too high for their weight. FWIW, I run 55psi and its somewhat lower than recommended. So in short, lower fork pressure (ensuring sag is correct) and faster rebound.

3. Rear shock, be careful with this. Ensure your sag is correct and dont put lower pressure in than recommended. Too many bottom outs has cracked many a Giant frame. Err on more than less.

that's it, get 1.to 3. sorted first. ride many times and only adjust handlebar + stem if its really not working in addition to these changes

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Don't rush into buying new parts for your bike. Just get the shock pump and do your tire and fork/shock pressure adjustments. Ride the bike a few times and see if you are enjoying it more.

The stem and handlebar can be changed later when you really want more out of your bike. the RS Reverb should come last and there are other good alternatives, such as the KS Lev.

As for tires, it is subjective depending on the type of terrain you ride in. What are the default tires? The general rule of thumb is to get a grippy, knobbier tire for the front and a fast rolling one for the rear. I love Kenda Nevegals but they are very draggy. Have heard good reviews for the Maxxis High Roller IIs but you might want to get a thicker tire because Maxxis tires are narrower than advertised. For example, a 2.25 tire is more like 2.1

Hope this helps!
    oh really?
    I didn't use maxxis tires before (it happens to be the most common one) but really concern if I get a flat tyre deep into trail... thanks reminding...

about the dropper post, one weakness of the trance frame design is its blending seatpost tube. I trimmed the giant seatpost a bit to suit my height, so not sure if I can get a good fit dropper (as it's not trimmable)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi.

50 psi for your weight is just too high if not extremely high. Try the calculator on this page MTB tech as a starting point.

Regarding fork and shock try to start with 25% sag and rebound in the middle also as a starting point. If you ride more cross country you can even go to 20% of sag and if you ride more all mountain you can go to 30% (or even 35%).

Regarding your rebound after staring from the middle you can start making it faster in the fork and slower in the shock 1 click at the time until you are happy with the settings. You want your fork and shock to be fast enough so they don't pack down in consecutive hits but also slow enough so they don't behave as a pogo stick. However if you compare the fork and shock usually the shock has slower rebound than the fork so it doesn't tend to throw you out of the saddle.

Please remember that first you set your sag with the rebound, compression etc fully open and then the rebound.

After you do the above and still don't feel happy you may start considering changing your stock tires etc. But personally I believe that you should try a shorter stem & wider bar combination.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    I think running 50psi could explain the entire issue!

nikcname: I am 65kg like yourself. I happen to be 166cm and ride a
    small, but I would think a medium for you sounds right.

If I were you I'd make a few important changes first:

1. tyre pressure: I am running tubeless setup, 22psi front, 25psi rear. If you run tubeless, I cant see any need for you to exceed 30psi.

2. Run rebound fast at front, maybe 3 clicks from fully open as a test and consider lowering the fork pressure. If its a Fox fork, I and many others find the fork pressure to be too high for their weight. FWIW, I run 55psi and its somewhat lower than recommended. So in short, lower fork pressure (ensuring sag is correct) and faster rebound.

3. Rear shock, be careful with this. Ensure your sag is correct and dont put lower pressure in than recommended. Too many bottom outs has cracked many a Giant frame. Err on more than less.

that's it, get 1.to 3. sorted first. ride many times and only adjust handlebar + stem if its really not working in addition to these changes
    hi Lucifuge / Aizen,
    thanks! it sounds like tyre pressure makes a big difference, of which I never care so much... thanks all...

hi Lucifuge,
    my fork is fox ctd 125mm, is topeak a good fork pump?
    I will try to adjust it and test.
    how much you put for the rear shock?
    is there any standard formula to derive psi per kg?

thanks all folks, I am glad to post it here with so many useful response...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    125 is really nice amount of travel. i have the similar on my 2012 Trance.

your weight in pounds is best for the rear shock as a starting point. ie 145psi (for you..and me!) rememebr to achieve 145psi in shock, need to pump it too 150psi to allow for 5psi leakage.

....i use a Topeak, its great

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi again. You don't need a formula for the fork / shock psi. Just add or remove air until you get the sag you want. And please note that as you change the sag you will also change the bike behavior.

Also when adding or removing air from your tires make sure not to go over or under the recommended max / min psi. For example unless you have tubeless tires going under 30 psi which for the majority of the tires is the minimum may have some risks. I don't mean that if you use 29 the tire will go off the rim but just be careful not to overdo it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    125 is really nice amount of travel. i have the similar on my 2012 Trance.

your weight in pounds is best for the rear shock as a starting point. ie 145psi (for you..and me!) rememebr to achieve 145psi in shock, need to pump it too 150psi to allow for 5psi leakage.

....i use a Topeak, its great
    thanks man! I rushed out right after and pity LBS nearby got out of stock... have to check somewhere farther for the fork pump.
    can't wait to play around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Hi.

50 psi for your weight is just too high if not extremely high. Try the calculator on this page MTB tech as a starting point.

Regarding fork and shock try to start with 25% sag and rebound in the middle also as a starting point. If you ride more cross country you can even go to 20% of sag and if you ride more all mountain you can go to 30% (or even 35%).

Regarding your rebound after staring from the middle you can start making it faster in the fork and slower in the shock 1 click at the time until you are happy with the settings. You want your fork and shock to be fast enough so they don't pack down in consecutive hits but also slow enough so they don't behave as a pogo stick. However if you compare the fork and shock usually the shock has slower rebound than the fork so it doesn't tend to throw you out of the saddle.

Please remember that first you set your sag with the rebound, compression etc fully open and then the rebound.

After you do the above and still don't feel happy you may start considering changing your stock tires etc. But personally I believe that you should try a shorter stem & wider bar combination.
    Paris, that's very detail.
    I wonder why nobody everrrrrrr talked something similar when I bought the bike.
    no bike fitting at all, now I understood how important it is.
    I will go get a topeak fork pump tomorrow and see what will happen.
    appreciate !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Don't worry. Google, YouTube and the forums are your friends. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, if your Med Trance came with a 90mm stem, at your height it's worth trying a shorter stem with 700+mm bars.

But, if it has an OD2 stem, they are not available just anywhere. See if the shop you bought it from has some different length OD2s in stock and if they will let you try a shorter one, then buy whichever size stem fits you.

Lucifuge - no, to achieve 150psi in the shock, pump it to 150psi. It loses pressure when you reattach the pump, not when you remove it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Lucifuge - no, to achieve 150psi in the shock, pump it to 150psi. It loses pressure when you reattach the pump, not when you remove it.
    cheers mate, happy to have that corrected!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are on your way just fine but some other basic set up info for you:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backo...eManual_v2.pdf

And similar from Fox:
    FORK- 2014 32 FLOAT 26 | Bike Help Center | FOX
    SHOCK- 2014 FLOAT CTD | Bike Help Center | FOX

I'm 190lbs running 25psi or so tubeless. At your weight you should be able to go 30-35psi tubed without too much issue. Really make the bike less twitchy. That bike is excellent downhill so you probably just need a little tuning to make it work for you. Luck!
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    I agree, if your Med Trance came with a 90mm stem, at your height it's worth trying a shorter stem with 700+mm bars.

But, if it has an OD2 stem, they are not available just anywhere. See if the shop you bought it from has some different length OD2s in stock and if they will let you try a shorter one, then buy whichever size stem fits you.

hi fsrxc and all,

today I was on the way to get a shorter stem & wider bar.
    and read your post, I immediately go to see what OD2 is and found a lot of upset people over the net about giant proprietary stem size 1.25 (1'1/4) which is not compatible with the majority of the stem on market. So I only get the new handlebar, boobar with 740mm (from giant's 690mm).

after long research when I back home, it seems my bike, trance x2 2013 version, though it printed the OD2 icon in mobile web version (not the desktop web). The spec on web says it uses "giant connect stem", which is the standard stem 1.125 (1'1/8).
    I was then relieved and will go get a new stem later this week.

trance x2 2013
    Trance X2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International

but some other who purchased 29ers (stem:Giant Contact w/ Titanium hardware, OverDrive 2)
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications

or this 27.5 (stem: Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2)
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications

need to purchase giant specific stem, (or very few marker for 1'1/4, I heard specialized is making as well)
    Stems - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

there are only limited choices...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi Paris,

The youtube video is EEEEEEEEEExcellent, very detail and informative.
    I wonder what Fox engineer/marketer are doing, they published lot of things on youtube but not like this to teach people how to use/fine tune their product... gosh...

Unfortunately, I still can't get my target shock pump (the topeak one, out of stock over 4 big bike store, is it really that popular?!).
    I'm sure I will get one somewhere, let see!!!

my target(s) now is to fine tune my fork/shock.
    with wider bar and shorter stem to tune my riding post by
    truvative boobar 740mm to replace my giant 690mm

for stem... wondering the following...
    easton haven 55mm
    Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 40mm / 60mm
    Nukeproof Warhead Stem 50mm

easton seems expensive for try&error
    truvativ's is a good bargain but 40mm is too short while 60mm seems not noticable enough (migrating from current 70mm).
    so probably nukeproof is the balanced choice with its 50mm and fair price...

any other suggestion for stem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post
    Sounds like you are on your way just fine but some other basic set up info for you:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backo...eManual_v2.pdf

And similar from Fox:
    FORK- 2014 32 FLOAT 26 | Bike Help Center | FOX
    SHOCK- 2014 FLOAT CTD | Bike Help Center | FOX

I'm 190lbs running 25psi or so tubeless. At your weight you should be able to go 30-35psi tubed without too much issue. Really make the bike less twitchy. That bike is excellent downhill so you probably just need a little tuning to make it work for you. Luck!
    big thanks extremedave,
    that's exactly what I want to find.
    The giant biking spec on its web page is crap without precise detail, the geometry doesn't specify the length/height/width, this manual get all the detail (but there is no link to this pdf on their bike specific page).... very useful!!!

That bike is excellent downhill...
    humm... I always wonder if 5" travel is a bit too short as other people are using 6,7 or 8" for downhill...
    (or maybe I'm just not skillful enough)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Apart from the major component, the first upgraded I did is to remove the shifter indicator.
    As usual, giant didn't state which shimano slx shifter model it gives.
    FYI, some shimano shifter bundled the cover inside but some you need to purchased separately. Mine is the one which need to buy

after google around, I think this is the shifter I have.
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830800253.pdf

the local shimano dealer is selling it with $5...
    now the things on handlebar is a bit neater , Yeah!

FYI, if you need to find shimano spare part, here is a good web store
    SHIMANO spare parts: >> Find your SHIMANO spare partvia exploded as
    price is fair but shipping can be over than the inventory

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Apart from the major component, the first upgraded I did is to remove the shifter indicator.
    As usual, giant didn't state which shimano slx shifter model it gives.
    FYI, some shimano shifter bundled the cover inside but some you need to purchased separately. Mine is the one which need to buy

after google around, I think this is the shifter I have.
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830800253.pdf

the local shimano dealer is selling it with $5...
    now the things on handlebar is a bit neater , Yeah!

FYI, if you need to find shimano spare part, here is a good web store
    SHIMANO spare parts: >> Find your SHIMANO spare partvia exploded as
    price is fair but shipping can be over than the inventory
    I have 2013 Trance X2 and yes, the stem is standard. I would like to have a shorter one but I am 180cm and with the 90mm stem the M Trance is just long enough it would be too short with the shorter stem.
    As for shifters the 2012 SLX shifters had the covers inside but Shimano cut cost and you will have to buy them separately for the 2013 versions. Same for XT shifters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast