mtbr member
    Apr 2007

medium or large x0 questions

I'm about 5'11 and do a lot of freeride stuff, gaps and skinnies but always pedal up to the trails, I rarely shuttle. So I guess I do a lot of pedalling but am into aggresive freeride. I am lookinga t getting a reign x0, as i realize i am that wonderful height that falls inbetween a med and large I know a large will climb better and a medium is more flickable. However, I just have a couple of questions regarding the two sizes:
    1. How does a medium corner compared to a large?
    2. Can you get your weight back more on a medium on steeps or is a large better?
    3.Will I feel more "over the bars" when jumping or decending on a medium as the frame is smaller and I am closer to the front of the bike?
    4.Is a large more stable at speed as it has a longer wheelbase?
    5.What size would you recomend for my height and style?
    Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5,8 with a long torso and ride an 18" (Med) Reign X1.
    So, if you have a long torso/short legs, you might need the length of a Lg, but otherwise, you will probably like the Med.

I haven't ridden the Large, so can't compare the two sizes, but, generally, the smaller bike will be a little better to shift your weight for steep downhills, tight corners, jumping etc, but more cramped on steep climbs.
    My Med feels plenty stable at speed, so that should not be a factor unless you are DH racing.

Because are are doing a lot of FR, that does lean towards the Med, as long as most of your climbing is not steep and technical.

With either frame size, you can fine tune a bit with the stem, bars, seatpost etc.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 04-12-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Agressive freeride you say? Get the medium.

All of your questions about the bikes geometry are right. Longer bikes are more stable at speed, shorter bikes more flickable, ect ect. Your definition of freeride might be different than other people, but if you're riding skinnies and doing techy drops or DJ style stuff, a shorter bike is better. If your railing high speed bermed trails like A-line or Dirt Merchant, I would want a longer wheelbase to hold my lines.

I know where you're coming from as I'm 6-2 and I'm usually debating between a large or xtra large all-mountain/trail bikes. It comes down to what you're going to be doing mostly, or you can have more than one bike in your quiver...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am 6ft with a 32" inside leg. Ride a 2008 Trance X0 Medium. It is fine up to 6ft 2" I reckon. Lots of adjustment. Large was just too large for me. Always ridden large Specialized's and Schwinns, I would just try both large and medium out and see what you prefer, but if like me you like to thrown the bike around the trail and parks then I am sure you will find the Large too big.

Enjoy!

A f**king top bike!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Medium

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can you try one out at a shop before you decide? I drove 6 hrs to try one out and it definitly put the debate to an end. I'm 6'1" and got a large X1,for what its worth. Same sort of riding criteria as you. Immediatly swapped out bar and stem for shorter/ wider. I'm guessing a medium would be a good fit? Not sure what the spec is on the complete XO, but I found that I kept replacing parts due to weight and fit. In hindsight, a frame only would've suited me better.