Inspector Gadget

Measuring head angle?

Being curious I stuck my digital level and a traditional angle finder on the upper fork tube of my XL '11 Trance x2... And I'm getting 68* with both? Is this a correct way to measure?

I bought this bike used, nothing was said about a mod and Far as I can tell there is no Angleset. The fork angle matches the head tube angle visually. Wondering because I want to put on a height adjustable fork and the larger rear shock, just wanted to keep track of the changes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What is your fork

Inspector Gadget
    The stock Fox 125RL

I measured my wife's '12 Anthem the same way and get 71* which is what it should be.

So how is my Trance measuring 68* when it's supposed to be 69.5*?

This is about the best straight on pic I've got handy. You can see the fork angle lines up with the head tube...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Measuring head angle?-img_0459-crop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my trance gets 67.5 with 140mm fork on it. if the tyres have a higher tread on them then stock items this can also alter the angle as can air pressures i guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have you zeroed the gauge on the floor first?

Have they got the correct shock and / or is there an offset bush in the top shock pivot?

From memory, mine with 650B front wheel and Rev 130 fork is about 68.5?

Inspector Gadget
    Yeah, the gauges are good... I checked them against a triangle square.

No offset shock parts, rear shock is stock. I just replaced the DU bushing with the roller bearing setup from RWC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a float 150 and I am getting about 67.5.
    I am surprised that with a 130mm and 650b you are at 68.5.

I never measured mine stock, but it never seemed that steep even with the 125mm, but feels so right with the 150mm. 140mm is probably ideal.

Inspector Gadget
    I imported the side view of my bike into Autocad. Started drawing lines and measuring angles... HA I get 67.5-68* and STA 71ish.

I started to doubt the fork today, Just measured the fork and its got 5" of tube showing... So it's still a 125mm fork... I'm confused. What else can I check?
    Last edited by abeckstead; 10-05-2012 at 08:27 PM.