mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Max fork travel on a Trance

Hey Folks,

I have a 2007 Trance frame (the 4.2 inch travel, not the Trance X) with a very old fork on it. I'm looking at 100mm, 130mm, 100-140mm adjustable travel, etc, but I'm concerned about the threshold at which the Maestro will lose it's magic. Obviously a 100 would balance well on it but I'm looking for the top end of reasonable here. Is a 130 going to throw off the balance? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

CanWood

mtbr member
    i don't believe the rear suspension will be affected by the fork other than a slight weight bias shift. as the front end rises more weight will be put on the rear of the bike. you can counter this with lowering your bars if needed.

i run a revelation at 130mm on my 4.2" trance and love it. this puts my HA at just about 69 deg. and the bike feels well balanced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i run an older 36 talas on my '05 with no problems since i bought the frame (early 06). typical rides see it between 115mm and 130mm, although i do run it out all the way (around 145ish mm) for steep stuff. the front end wanders a tonne with the fork at max travel, but that's the beauty of an adjustable fork.

it's a super fun bike for descending at 130mm. i run a flipped stem to drop the front end a bit. i'm going to put the fox on another bike next season and put a 120mm reba on the trance (20mm axle).
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

I AM I AM
    I had an '06 Trance, With 130mm it took a few minutes to get used to the new higher front end but the handling and confidence was superb! In my opinion around 130mm is the perfect travel to have up front on that bike.

And as noted the geometry changes means you will effectively have the same geometry as the Trance X. Hence I still believe there was no major changes to the old trance to make it into a trance X apart from the rear triangle to allow for more travel up the back. In other words I believe that the trance design can withstand that amount of travel and the trance X geo proves it. I certainly wouldn't go more than 140 though.

Yeah the handling may be a bit different (slacker HA, longer wheelbase), but you'll get used to it fast enough and probably not look back. I even had a 50mm stem on mine, and amazingly even that didn't detract from it's climbing performance.

mtbr member
    I had a Pike 454 coil on my 06 T2 and it was pretty damn sweet. Heavy, but sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I'll keep my eye on the sales for the next few months and from the sounds of it, 130 is a safe bet. I'm considering the Marzocchi XC 600, but will see what else is out there. When/If i take the leap, I'll post the results.

CanWood

I AM I AM
    If you're up for something at a budget I'd consider the Tora 318. It's a good fork and probably understated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I pulled the trigger I'm going with a TALAS RL with 90-110-130 adjustable travel (it came off a Fuel Ex). Fingers crossed!