mtbr member
    Dec 2010

making 2009 anthem 5" bike

is it possible to put a 5 " travel rear shock in an anthem frame? I know it will take a 5 " travel fork but not sure about the rear??

mtbr member
    would probably cause more problems with suspension travel clearance, BB height, and overall handling than its worth... but im not an expert

mtbr member
    You don't need to be an expert. Don't mess with the rear suspension travel by putting in a longer shock. It will mess everything up.

I suggest getting the longest travel fork Giant recommends (or you'll void any warranty you have) and getting some wide bars and a shorter stem if you're looking to make a more relaxed/freeridish bike outta the anthem.

Either that or sell it and just buy the bike you actually wanna ride!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

Gumnut Peddler
    My Anthem has a 120mm front fox shock. It rides great. I wouldnt want to mess around with the rear though. The BB already hangs low in my opinion, adding a longer travel shock might cause issues here, as well as how it would handle overall.

Thinking about how it would change the gemoetry without actually testing it, I suspect that a longer travel shock might end up trying to 'buck' you off the bike when trying to travel at speed over bumpy ground?