mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lower DU Bushing

Hey Guys,
    I ride a 2011 Trance X.
    I recently unbolted the top of my shock to rotate the suspension to check for worn bearing or any play. For the most part everything seemed smooth. Only issue I felt was when I rotated the shock on its lower bolt it felt notchy. there is no vertical or side play from what I could tell, just notchy feel when I rotated it forward andback.

What should this motion feel like? Based on the feel of everything else I didn't want to tear everything apart quite yet.

- Pete

mtbr member
    There is no lower DU bushing in the shock. It's carried on the lower forward pivot shaft. What you're feeling is the inboard bearings. Yes, they will feel notchy/rough when rotated. When you can feel vertical play replace the. In the mean time, carefully pop the plastic seals off the bearing and pack them with the heaviest grease you can (a needle type gun works best) they put the seals back on. I'm going to use bronze bushings instead of bearings, as there is little rotation there and the load is only in one direction so the 180 contact area will be better.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Really? How/why do people flip their shocks if both ends don't have some type of bearing?

I guess the lower bracket does not feel notchy like the shock because its rotating on a bearing unlike the lower part of the shock?

I'm going to use bronze bushings instead of bearings, as there is little rotation there and the load is only in one direction so the 180 contact area will be better.
    Which bearings are you reffering to here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonypete View Post
    Really? How/why do people flip their shocks if both ends don't have some type of bearing?
    You press the du bushing out of one end and into the other. (the eye of the shock is the same size)

I guess the lower bracket does not feel notchy like the shock because its rotating on a bearing unlike the lower part of the shock?
    Correct!! The repeated impact load in one position is hell on single row ball bearings.

Which bearings are you reffering to here?
    There are 4 bearings at the front of the lower rocker. 2 in the rocker, and two more inboard on the frame itself. the aluminum shaft goes through all of them, the spacers and the shock. The Bearing that are pressed into the frame are the ones I'm referring to.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS