mtbr member
    Nov 2005

A little help - Trance Front Derailleur

OK - So I'm all excited about building my new Trance frame up into my dream bike. I have all these nice parts, Shimano XT galore, and when I go to fit my brand new front derailleur to the frame, I find out there's NO WAY this thing is going to work. I've purchased the wrong derailleur, that much is obvious, but I'm scratching my head as to which one I should have bought. The clamp size is correct, but the swing geometry is all wrong. If anyone out there can steer me to the correct front derailleur, I would appreciate it. I need to know what type - i.e., top pull, top swing??? I think that's what I need, but I want to be sure. What I have now appears to be a top pull bottom swing. Duh... I know.

MTB B'dos
    A little research would have saved you this headache, hope you can sell tha FD. Because of the "bump" for the mounting pivot of the rockers you can only a"Low Clamp" style derailer. The derailer uses a top pull system, but if you have the latest XT it is either TOP or BOTTOM pull. Sounds like u got a high clamp M-761/751 type derailer, u need a M-760 type or M-750.
    Image attached is a Low Clamp M-760 FD, and u can see details here I've also aatached an image of the LX FD that came on my T3 so u can see how and where it should be.

Attached Images Attached Images
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    A little research would have saved you this headache, hope you can sell tha FD. Because of the "bump" for the mounting pivot of the rockers you can only a"Low Clamp" style derailer. The derailer uses a top pull system, but if you have the latest XT it is either TOP or BOTTOM pull. Sounds like u got a high clamp M-761/751 type derailer, u need a M-760 type or M-750.
    Image attached is a Low Clamp M-760 FD, and u can see details here I've also aatached an image of the LX FD that came on my T3 so u can see how and where it should be.

Yeah, I felt pretty stupid after this blunder. I just wasn't paying attention to detail. I'll be able to sell the FD, no problem. It's a brand new XT M751, and you're right, it's a high clamp. Thanks a ton for the images. That helps me out for sure. No big deal really, I'm not in a huge hurry to finish this build - Other than the excitement factor I'll get over this easily.