mtbr member

A little buyers remorse...

Back in July of this year I purchased a 2013 Anthem X 29er 2 thinking that the trails I ride and my skill level it would be plenty of bike. Now, I'm starting to think I should have went with the Trance X 29er 1 because of the additional travel/better shocks.

I'm currently at about 215lbs packed and seem to be using all the rear travel given on the Monarch RL (sag is 25-30, PSI @ 250ish). This shock bottoms out more often than not it seems, and I'm not really doing any major drops or jumps.

Would upgrading the rear shock help prevent bottoming out so much and if so any recommendations? I'm still kinda learning about rear suspension so any help would be appreciated.

Jim

mtbr member
    When I picked up my anthem recently I asked that the shop techs help me set sag in the shop before leaving as I was headed straight off to a ride. They set the pressure on the Monarch and said it should be good but when I got on it was low and we had to increase the air pressure. After my first 2 rides I noticed I got a bottom out and bumped it up another 5 pounds and now it seems to be perfect.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    add more air to the shock. problem solved.

Your Best Friend
    ^this.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I've tried that up to the max psi (275) with basically the same result. Would a better shock like the Fox Float CTD or the Rockshox Monarch RT3 handle my weight better?

I'm just trying to figure out if I bought a bike that can't handle my weight, and if a better rear shock would work. Or, should I simply cut my losses, sell the Anthem and go with the Trance?

Jim

mtbr member
    215 is not that heavy, it should work fine. Maybe you need a new shock, I ride at about 225 and dont have problems bottoming out and I never have. I have had a few shocks too, maybe there is a problem with yours
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

gravity fighter
    Volume reducer kit might do the trick.

mtbr member
    Is this something a "novice" can do or something my LBS could tackle? What does this accomplish?

Thanks
    Jim

mtbr member
    or a low volume air sleeve

mtbr member
    I'm about your weight, and manage to ride successfully with around 240-245 in the rear, depending on where I ride. My shock usually uses it's full travel without noticeably bottoming out, likely because it's big G-outs that use full travel. So questions:

Where (what sort of trail feature) does your shock bottom out?
    How much experience do you having riding? How much of that is on a FS bike?
    What sort of trails ARE you riding? Is it basic XC singletrack, or are you playing with drops jumps, big rollers, etc?

mtbr member

A little buyers remorse...

[QUOTE=Cotharyus;10731493]So questions:

Where (what sort of trail feature) does your shock bottom out?

How much experience do you having riding?

How much of that is on a FS bike?

What sort of trails ARE you riding? Is it basic XC singletrack, or are you playing with drops jumps, big rollers, etc?QUOTE]

Rocky terrain with drops no more than a foot on average. Wash outs/rollers that occasionally are more than a foot or two but are ramped, not a drop off.

About 2 years or so.

Since July of this year.

In Arizona so mostly XC single/double track with the occasional tech trail, but again no major drops at all. Just seems like if I get going at a good pace and go over a couple rollers the rear will compress fully at the bottom. I understand that this is what's supposed to happen but it seems to be happening way to easily.

My LBS also told me that there isn't a shim kit for the Monarch RL and that I'll have to upgrade, sound correct?

Jim

mtbr member
    Are you actually feeling the shock bottom out, or just seeing the gauge pushed all the way down at the end of the ride. Part of this may be a form issue. If you're "heavy" on the bike rather than light - that comes with time. You have to learn to relax, flow, and let the bike move under you. It doesn't sound like you should be having any major problems, but watch the drops - they aren't really an XC thing, and may be more than the whole frame wants.

I can't speak for what's available for the shock. Specifics on modifying suspension is outside my area of expertise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Remember when u remove the shock pump you lose about 5psi. Not that it should make that much of a difference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creole View Post
    Remember when u remove the shock pump you lose about 5psi. Not that it should make that much of a difference
    This actually isn't always the case. My shock pump has two knobs you turn to connect it to the shock. One that screws it onto the schrader and another on top of that that actually engages the valve to allow air in and out. So, you get some decrease in pressure in the shock when you put the pump on, but when you take it off, the shock is pressurized, you unscrew the top knob, and it releases the engagement, so what the gauge is reading is what's in the shock. Then you unscrew the other knob, and you get a little hiss, but that's just the pressure left in the hose and gauge area, none of it comes from the shock.

long time listener
    Hardtail rider just brainstorming here: How much travel are you using on the front shocks? Could you be landing heavy on the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    jdbruner, the front shock is set perfectly and is working great. I'm not really launching off obstacles to be landing heavy on the rear, most the trails I'm riding are rollers and some small to medium rocks and such (bowling ball and smaller) intermittent through the trail.

That being said, maybe I leaning to far back which is putting additional weight on the rear shock. I'll have to take notice tonight when I head out and see what happens, thanks for the idea.

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Question: are you sitting or standing when the shock bottoms out?

Hard tail guy here who just picked up my first FS (AX29). On my first ride I noticed a particular roller (3-4') that used all my rear suspension. The same thing happened on my second ride, same spot. For me, I think the issue is realizing that even with FS, I'll need to get out of the saddle a bit. Both times I was sitting and felt the compression bottom when my body caught up with the bike at the bottom of the 'drop'. (185# w/gear)
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post

even with FS, I'll need to get out of the saddle
    Yes. The main difference between a hard tail and FS is that you don't really want to stand up and hammer going up a hill. But in much the same way you ride a hard tail standing "a lot" whether it's to be in attack position or just to soften the ride up a little bit (your legs are great shock absorbers) you want to keep your weight free on a FS bike, still like the bike move under you without just flopping around on the bike. Keep your arms loose, you weight on your feet, and be dynamic. If you don't get what I'm talking about, find yourself a pump track, and teach yourself to go around it on the FS bike, you'll get it.

I've gotten some strange looks for this one, but for what it's worth, I ride a rigid single speed, and an Anthem 29er. I tell people the biggest difference is the Anthem is more planted at speed because the suspension lets the tires stay on the ground more, but I can sit and spin such a large gear on the Anthem going up hills that even climbing isn't much slower than the SS.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: A little buyers remorse...

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    This actually isn't always the case. My shock pump has two knobs you turn to connect it to the shock. One that screws it onto the schrader and another on top of that that actually engages the valve to allow air in and out. So, you get some decrease in pressure in the shock when you put the pump on, but when you take it off, the shock is pressurized, you unscrew the top knob, and it releases the engagement, so what the gauge is reading is what's in the shock. Then you unscrew the other knob, and you get a little hiss, but that's just the pressure left in the hose and gauge area, none of it comes from the shock.
    What is the brand and model of your pump?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4 View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Oh gosh. Um. I'll make a point to check for you today. Even if there's any way to tell still, it may not do you any good. This pump is at least 13 years old. But I'll check.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post

Hard tail guy here who just picked up my first FS (AX29). On my first ride I noticed a particular roller (3-4') that used all my rear suspension. The same thing happened on my second ride, same spot. For me, I think the issue is realizing that even with FS, I'll need to get out of the saddle a bit. Both times I was sitting and felt the compression bottom when my body caught up with the bike at the bottom of the 'drop'. (185# w/gear)
    I'd say most of the time I'm standing up (until I'm exhausted then I'm sitting), I went out last night and made it a point to "watch" how I'm riding the bike and to see how the rear shock responds. I'm still thinking the shock is sh*t but did realize that on some rollers and high speed sections that I'm 'on top" of the bike instead of rolling with the bike and using my legs as an additional shock.

I think I was assuming now that I have FS that I can just hang on and enjoy the ride. Now I realize I need to remember how I rode my HT and keep adjusting my riding style till I find that sweet spot. No matter, I've decided that I'm going to upgrade the shock, now I just need to figure which one I want. Any ideas for a 215# rider on a Anthem?

Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4 View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    I have this one, it also doesn't seem to let any air out of the shock when you remove it.

Amazon.com: Planet Bike Shockmate Bicycle Suspension Pump: Sports & Outdoors

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can't help much with shock selection. You may want to take a look at the spec shocks for the higher end AX29ers and check out reviews for those. I'm leaning towards a remote lockout when I get come down with upgradeitis like the Monarch XX.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jim, that looks like a single stage valve, so I'm not sure how it wouldn't let some air out.

This is the new version of my Sunlite:
    Amazon.com: Sunlite Air Surge Race Shock Pump: Sports & Outdoors

You can't really see it in the picture, but it's got a two stage valve screw - a large outside knob to screw it onto the shock, and a smaller top knob to engage the valve. Then you reverse the process, and you're good.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: A little buyers remorse...

Thanks just placed an order !!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR