Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    516

    LBS keeps steering me toward TranceX29 over a new Reign

    Went into the LBS to look at a '13 Reign 1. Only one worth buying this year in my opinion.

    Rep said "Reigns are not selling". This isn't the first time I've heard this. He went on and on about the new TranceX 29 (and on and on). Welcome'd me to demo it as soon as the snow is gone.

    I'll admit, that bike has been on my radar, but I loved my Reign last year.

    I'm thinking of buying a new '12 Reign 2 (great local deal), but wonder if I should wait until I demo the X29 and see for myself.

    Just curious to hear opinions from those who have time on a Reign and a 29 of any kind. Never ridden a 29, so I have no data to compare.

    I climb a lot, but love to push as hard as possible downhill...and we have long downhills here. Last year I rode about 750m and over 100k feet of elevation gain. Just wonder if the X29 might suit be better if it is as great as they are saying.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Went into the LBS to look at a '13 Reign 1. Only one worth buying this year in my opinion.

    Rep said "Reigns are not selling". This isn't the first time I've heard this. He went on and on about the new TranceX 29 (and on and on). Welcome'd me to demo it as soon as the snow is gone.

    I'll admit, that bike has been on my radar, but I loved my Reign last year.

    I'm thinking of buying a new '12 Reign 2 (great local deal), but wonder if I should wait until I demo the X29 and see for myself.

    Just curious to hear opinions from those who have time on a Reign and a 29 of any kind. Never ridden a 29, so I have no data to compare.

    I climb a lot, but love to push as hard as possible downhill...and we have long downhills here. Last year I rode about 750m and over 100k feet of elevation gain. Just wonder if the X29 might suit be better if it is as great as they are saying.
    I can;t see why both those bikes are being compared..
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

  3. #3
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: LBS keeps steering me toward TranceX29 over a new Reign

    If you are climbing that much, it would be in your best interest to get a bike that climbs really well. The Reign is a great bike but the Trance X29er will climb better. That said, if you want the Reign, get the Reign.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

    http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    If you are climbing that much, it would be in your best interest to get a bike that climbs really well. The Reign is a great bike but the Trance X29er will climb better. That said, if you want the Reign, get the Reign.
    Good point (and I also forgot to mention, I did all that climbing last year with a Reign (2010) - obviously it worked fine. Loved the bike...just wanting / thinking of a new one).

  5. #5
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDRIFT View Post
    I cant see why both those bikes are being compared..
    Because they do the same task equally well. I've owned both bikes, and did back to back days on each last winter while I was out west. The TX29charges descents hard. The larger wheels reduce the feedback from blown out trail chatter, and give the bike a super stable and confident ride - The same affect achieved from a (slightly) slacker headtube angle and extra inch of travel on the Reign. Additionally, with the tighter rear end and modest wheelbase on the TX29, cornering isn't a chore, and is downright rad when factoring in the traction provided by the wheels.

    I've been on the TX29 since summer, and had a trusty relationship with my TX, Reign, and Reign X before. But I can honestly say, aside from some extra flickable fun provided by the 26" wheels on the Reign, both of these bikes in question do the same job with the same level of confidence and capability. If anything, the TX29 does it just alittle bit better.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post
    Because they do the same task equally well. I've owned both bikes, and did back to back days on each last winter while I was out west. The TX29charges descents hard. The larger wheels reduce the feedback from blown out trail chatter, and give the bike a super stable and confident ride - The same affect achieved from a (slightly) slacker headtube angle and extra inch of travel on the Reign. Additionally, with the tighter rear end and modest wheelbase on the TX29, cornering isn't a chore, and is downright rad when factoring in the traction provided by the wheels.

    I've been on the TX29 since summer, and had a trusty relationship with my TX, Reign, and Reign X before. But I can honestly say, aside from some extra flickable fun provided by the 26" wheels on the Reign, both of these bikes in question do the same job with the same level of confidence and capability. If anything, the TX29 does it just alittle bit better.
    Nice comparison - thank you.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    60
    I haven't had a chance to ride a TX29, but recently sold my Anthem X 29 for the 2013 Reign 1. Christened it today after work on a muddy ride, and I have no regrets.

    The TX29 was also on my radar, but my choice was solely based on the fact that I wanted to get my first 26" bike, and steer away from the 29ers. At least for a minute.

    I'm a fairly small guy at 5'8" and 145 lbs, so I feel the 26 wheels are more flickable than my 29ers were. I felt like I was using all my force to muscle those tires thru corners. If you are larger than myself, I'd say take the Trance out for a test then make your decision. I am stoked on 29ers, just time for a change. I think everyone else is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •