mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Just picked up my new AC2

and I have a few questions about the stock setup. Its a 17" frame.

Does anyone know what the rating for the stock spring inside the Sherman is? (soft,firm,extra firm) I am 170+ lbs and wonder if the stock one is adequate for me?

With my weight at 170+, does anyone know what size/weight spring would be optimal on the rear swinger? My bike shop was pretty clueless, because they said that they don't sell a lot of these high end bikes.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've got an '03 AC-1.

What model Sherman are you talking about...Firefly, Flick?

My AC-1 came with a 450lb spring, I weigh 180-185 and my shop reccomended a 500lb spring. I bought one for $18.00 - but it's still a wee bit light for me. I'm going to bump up to a 550 and see how it rides.

Manitou has an EXCELLENT tech section on their web site - it lists all the spring rates and reccomended rider weights for both Forks and Shocks.

http://www.answerproducts.com/productmanuals.asp
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks dude

For the quick reply, great info on website.

Still wondering where I can find "stock setup" information. If I don't know where I'm working from, how do I know what spring weight I need to go to on the Sherman? After doing the measurements I think I need a softer spring.

On the swinger it says not to preload the spring more than 8mm. 8mm from where? From the uncompressed length?

One more question...After close inspection of my new ride it looks like there is a dent in the drive side chainstay. It's about 2.5" long and is centered right in the middle of the stay. The other chainstay is just nice, smooth, and rounded.

WTF? Did this thing get damaged in shipping or what? Please tell me that I'm crazy and it was designed this way for some odd freakin purpose. This bike purchase is becoming more of a nightmare with each passing day.

Late

mtbr member
    That "dent" has alarmed many, many AC riders! It's there to provide clearance for the crankarm and is part of the forming process. Look through the pics here:
    Role Call - Show us your AC!
    You'll see that every AC has that "dent".

That would be 8mm from the point where the adjustment ring just starts to take up resistance from the spring.

You can also submit an email directly to a Manitou tech via the website (I think it's under "contacts") - they responded very quick when I asked them Q's. I'd drill them with all the Q's, mainly spring weight front and back for your bike setup and body weight.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks dude

What a relief. I'll be postin pics of my new rig to that thread later. Thanks again for all your help.