mtbr member

Just got my 08 Trance X1

I got mine today but didn't get to go out and ride till like 10pm. No trails, just out for like two hours enjoying myself riding through neighborhoods and parking lots. I love this thing! My first mountain bike and I have no complaints. I can't wait to get on some trails.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    Congrats! You've made a fine choice.

May I make a recommendation? Try a shorter stem (90mm or so) - I find it really improves the X's handling and makes it a little easier to take weight off the front. You might prefer your current stem (is that 110mm?), but you'll never know 'til you try.

Give each stem 2 or 3 rides to let your body get used to them.

Congrats!

Ant

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice!

Enjoy ... I've had mine a couple of weeks and lovin' it.

mtbr member
    You can make the recommendation and I can think it's a good one but it won't make a difference. Buying this bike had put me in enough debt and so it will remain stock for quite some time. The only thing I may do is the ghetto tubeless thing. Not to save weight but just to do something different.
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle.tim
    You can make the recommendation and I can think it's a good one but it won't make a difference. Buying this bike had put me in enough debt and so it will remain stock for quite some time. The only thing I may do is the ghetto tubeless thing. Not to save weight but just to do something different.
    Don't change the stem unless it's uncomfortable for your height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Don't change the stem unless it's uncomfortable for your height.
    Why not? Do you understand the different characteristics stems of different lengths can have on the control of a bike?

to the OP - If you ain't got the scratch, don't worry about it. But if you can bum a buddy's, there's nothing wrong with trying to fine-tune your ride?
    Ant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Why not? Do you understand the different characteristics stems of different lengths can have on the control of a bike?

to the OP - If you ain't got the scratch, don't worry about it. But if you can bum a buddy's, there's nothing wrong with trying to fine-tune your ride?
    Ant
    Huh?
    First off cycle.tim didn't complain or mention the stem....antonio brought it up out of the blue for no apparent reason.
    I was basically saying don't change a thing unless it's broke.
    So why are you guys telling him something different?
    Let him ride and adjust if needed.

mtbr member
    I really do appreciate the advice. That's the great thing about this place, there is so much knowledge here. I'm going to stick with the stock stem for now but maybe in the future when I get some skills going on and can appreciate the modification I will give it a try. Right now I'm just too new to the whole game.

Thanks for the input guys and I'm glad to be part of the group.

mtbr member
    I made a suggestion based on my experience trying diff'r length stems on my Trance X.

Huh?
    Exactly.

Ant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    I made a suggestion based on my experience trying diff'r length stems on my Trance X
    Exactly.

On what is best for you....cycle.tim isn't you. What he does may be different from what you do.
    And yes....I do understand that different characteristics stems of different lengths can affect the control of the bike...but it's up to him to decide what is best for him. We shouldn't assume what is best for him, especially when he didn't ask for advice.
    All cycle.tim was saying was "hey look at my bike".

Did I miss something here?

mtbr member
    Enjoy man, you made a great choice! Ghetto tubless will be hard with WTB Laserdisc Trail rims that you bike comes with. They have a large deep channel in the rim making it hard for the tube to set in. You would probably have to put some weather stripping in the channel to raise it up. Either way have fun!

mtbr member
    Oh, and by the way great bike. I ride a Trance X2 and I'm a lil envious.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up rydog, I will keep that in mind. If I need to ghettofi the ghetto tubeless too much I just wont bother.

I road my local trail on Saturday. I had never been there before and had only expected some flat single track going through some sand or something. Boy was I wrong!!! and I'm glad. I have been watching the videos of people riding logs and doing little hills and thought that it was going to be easy. Well, I walked accoss the log I came to and then walked down and up most of the inclines and declines I came too. I'm so pissed at myself now for being a chicken. In my defense though, it was my first time riding a mountain bike on a real trail. I can't stop thinking about going back though and owning that trail.

mtbr member
    Did I miss something here?
    You missed that I suggested he try it, and stated that he might prefer the longer stem more in the end. There's nothing wrong with trying to dial in a ride.

Congrats on your first ride, cycle.tim!

Ant
    Last edited by antonio; 07-29-2008 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    What bike do you have on the other side of the fence?
    And until you start dialing in your bike you might want to throw on a chainstay.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    That's one clean bike. Time to dirty the thing up now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I test rode a Trance X and REALLY liked it. Fast, light, fits the bike rack. I ended up building a Turner RFX, but its like 10 pounds heavier than the Trance X. That weight is an issue. Enjoy your Trance X, it seems to be a very delightful bike to ride and good cornering. I may still end up switching.