Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Hmmm, I'm intrigued by the Intrigue. Seriously, thanks for the info! This is some good stuff for sure and shows how committed that Giant is on the 27.5 tip. Hmmm, now to track down more info on this Intrigue. I think you may be onto something.....Adam Craig and maybe Josh Carlson's new toy they have been seen playing with.
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Hmmm, I'm intrigued by the Intrigue. Seriously, thanks for the info! This is some good stuff for sure and shows how committed that Giant is on the 27.5 tip. Hmmm, now to track down more info on this Intrigue. I think you may be onto something.....Adam Craig and maybe Josh Carlson's new toy they have been seen playing with.

INTRIGUE Trademark Application of GIANT MANUFACTURING CO., LTD. - Serial Number 85965327 :: Justia Trademarks

Only info I can find. And nothing about the bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Someone posted this over on the weightweenies forum,
    Giant Bikes 2014 - Home

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Interesting but the the colour choice the the XTC advanced 2 is hideous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    damn, most of them look unreal. might be a standout year upcoming for Giant

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Bikes are nice, but I just got a new Anthem. So all I want to know is where to get that chain stay protector

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

shorter chainstays?

Are the Anthems shown in the sneak peek 29 or 27.5? I can't tell. If 29er, did they shorten the chainstays, as the new one has a single brace on the triangle, whereas my 2012 has two braces either side. I know the Trance 29er has a single brace, AND shorter stays than the AX29er......I reallllyyy hope that Giant shortened the stays from the 18.2 to something sub 18! Can't wait for all the new 2014's!

mtbr member

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Those Anthems are definitely 29ers
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I don't know, I think it looks fast! Think Gulf Oil color scheme of the Porsche race cars:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    http://nswmtb.asn.au/node/41761

trance + anthems arriving in 650b and also in carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The xtc's have 27.5 on the tyres. The anthems dont have any size. Normal racing ralphs have 29 or 27.5 on them. The tyres "look" the same size in the pictures

The frame is identicle to the 650b shown at the sea otter and different to the current anthem x advanced 29er frame.

My tip is it is a 650b but giant scrubbed out the 27.5 on the tyres. I dont know why though

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    did u see my last reply?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    The xtc's have 27.5 on the tyres. The anthems dont have any size. Normal racing ralphs have 29 or 27.5 on them. The tyres "look" the same size in the pictures

The frame is identicle to the 650b shown at the sea otter and different to the current anthem x advanced 29er frame.

My tip is it is a 650b but giant scrubbed out the 27.5 on the tyres. I dont know why though

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    yes I saw your post. I was replying the post stating the photos of the anthems in the 2014 bike range link are 29ers. i dont think they are 29ers. your link shows pics from the sea otter which as we all know are 650b bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    coolio. that last article which references that event seems to suggest its a definite goer, that's all i meant. cheers

yes I saw your post. I was replying the post stating the photos of the anthems in the 2014 bike range link are 29ers. i dont think they are 29ers. your link shows pics from the sea otter which as we all know are 650b bikes.

mtbr member
    I don't know, I think it looks fast! Think Gulf Oil color scheme of the Porsche race cars:

you've got to go way further back than that!

But you're right, it (the bike) looks terrific!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    not to mention the GT40

mtbr member
    May 2005

650b wars are really heating up

Trek is in with some sweet looking "B" bikes

Trek Goes 650B - Press Release - Pinkbike

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Internet photos are notorious for not doing justice to how a colour scheme and bike actually looks in the flesh. (It's amazing how much better certain bikes and colours look when the bike is sitting there in front of you).

Although I agree that this paint job didn't grab me either, I'll reserve judgement until I see one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the Gulf blue one personally. But yeah, internet photos are not a good indication of what the bike looks like. I did not at all like the 2013 Anthem X1 on the web, but in person I think it's a great looking bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Seems crazy if the XTC's are only offered in 27.5 rather than 29. Surely in a hard tail racer there will still be a 29 and now a 27.5 option too? 27.5 unless you are shorter in height and don't suit 29 inch wheels seems half ass if that makes sense. The whole 29 inch losing quickness over 26 inch in recent frame geometry and light weight wheel design is rubbish as an argument to go to a 27.5. My 29 is no different than my 26 as far as agility is concerned and as far as rolling over stuff, climbing and descending there is no comparison. My 26 was a XTC 1 too so no slouch but the 29 owns it everywhere and is just as fun too.

mtbr member
    I thought I read (on the internet, so take it for what it's worth) that all of the 29ers will be offered in 27.5 *as well*. I agree there is no sense in dropping the XTC 29er from the line-up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I thought I read (on the internet, so take it for what it's worth) that all of the 29ers will be offered in 27.5 *as well*. I agree there is no sense in dropping the XTC 29er from the line-up
    That's the impression I got from a Giant rep. If I'm not mistaken the women's lineup will be all 27.5

Good, green, Oregon.
    I guess what I am looking for, and why I have been considering a 27.5 is the word "playful". I hear it used, and want that feeling. I love my Anthem X 29er by all means, as it is a great bike. But it feels so long.....long wheelbase, long chainstays, etc. I come from a BMX background (years ago, of course) and I want that feeling that I can pop over roots or hit drops with ease. I feel that I can't get the front end of my Anthem up very well at all, and other bikes I have tried I can. At first, I thought it was me, but after reading other comments from AX29 owners, there is no doubt I am not alone on this.

So it is with that that I consider and look toward a 5"-6" travel, more slack, trail bike, and 27.5 was something that I am very interested in. By no means am I an awesome rider or anything, but I think my skills and the terrain I ride have moved past my AX29. Again, not saying that I am a bad-ass rider or anything, but I think my riding style and the terrain I ride are more suited to something different than the AX29. I wasn't sure if playful was something that a 29er could be, but maybe I am wrong.

Playful. Quick. More slack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Coming where? Giant has 650B bikes for 2014 already prepared and ready to go. I am less interested now that I've bought and ridden an Anthem X 29'er being a XC singletrack mtb'er myself. Still, 650B will be around. It may replace 26" in many cases, or at least be the preffered option vs 26" in many platforms, for many people, but I highly doubt it will ever replace 29'ers.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing the new 2014 Giant lineup. In Canada unfortunately we don't see much until later. I suppose if there is an Expo Cycle Show in Toronto again this fall I will check Giant out there.

mtbr member
    What about a Tx29? I hear you on wanting something more playful than a pure XC racer type bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Good, green, Oregon.
    Even better.....

Trance - Giant Bikes 2014

From PeterMarv, in the Giant 650b thread......He is my hero!

mtbr member
    I see some type of chain guide/tensioner on the 1.. can we assume there are iscg tabs on the frame?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Really nice looking bikes. Love the XO version

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

cowbell
    Guess who just had his grubby little paws all up in a 2014 Giant Dealer Catalog. Yep. Stopped by the bike shop on the way home from doing some trail building (I told you my paws were all grubby!) and they were just putting it together and putting the price stickers in it. So, a few notes:

The Intrigue is a womens 27.5 Trance.

There are a LOT of 27.5 models.
    There are a LOT of bikes featuring Shimano group sets.
    The Trance SX (there's an Advance SX too) is really freaking expensive. But it has trail brakes and a 160mm fork, but it looks like it's still the same frame. Only available in 27.5.
    Most Trance 27.5 models feature adjustable 120-140 travel forks. HT angles are 70 degrees. CS is 17.3.
    There is no Reign.
    The Reign X1 is actually more appealing to me from a price/warranty/performance stand point than any of the Trances.

If you've got questions, I'll try to answer them from memory. Which means don't ask me for prices. I remember the SX bikes were $6K, the Reign X1 was $3.8K.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Cotharyus, did you see the Trance SX was a Satin Bronze color and not the matte black? Some good posts in The Original PinchFlat's thread in the 650b/27.5 page too. But they did show a Reign X0 in the catalog though.

wild times
    Sep 2010
    Did you see the Giant Trance X29 O? What were the color schemes? Man, I am excited to get a new bike. Come on August...

cowbell
    Yep. But I'm not one to buy the top line bike usually. I'll buy something mid-line or where I get the best value for my money, and usually (not always) the top isn't it. Get the good frame, mid-line (x7) components....all that will work well, and when stuff wears out or breaks I can upgrade it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I guess what I am looking for, and why I have been considering a 27.5 is the word "playful". I hear it used, and want that feeling. I love my Anthem X 29er by all means, as it is a great bike. But it feels so long.....long wheelbase, long chainstays, etc. I come from a BMX background (years ago, of course) and I want that feeling that I can pop over roots or hit drops with ease. I feel that I can't get the front end of my Anthem up very well at all, and other bikes I have tried I can. At first, I thought it was me, but after reading other comments from AX29 owners, there is no doubt I am not alone on this.

So it is with that that I consider and look toward a 5"-6" travel, more slack, trail bike, and 27.5 was something that I am very interested in. By no means am I an awesome rider or anything, but I think my skills and the terrain I ride have moved past my AX29. Again, not saying that I am a bad-ass rider or anything, but I think my riding style and the terrain I ride are more suited to something different than the AX29. I wasn't sure if playful was something that a 29er could be, but maybe I am wrong.

Heh - they've been making the Reign for YEARS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good stuff right here - thanks for the info!!

any chance you snuck a peak and gleened any trance 29er data as well?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any info on Anthem bikes?

29er Advanced?
    27.5 Advanced?

Any info on suspension/drivetrain? Rotor Cranks like the TCX?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The trance has a 70 degree hta? That seems a bit steep!

Oh ya, is there a frame only option?

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Warning! Warning! The head angles in the dealer books handed out at the dealer event are a misprint. I rode the bikes and spoke with the product manager. They are not 70 degrees. Far-far from it. Hang tight for the real angles in 1 week or so when the product is officially announced.

It tricked me too, I rode the bike and couldn't believe it was 70 degrees, turned out it wasn't.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

My last cal dealer said it's 67* angle

mtbr member
    I just saw pics at my LBS. Lots of black bikes in the new line up. I am glad I got my trance 1 x29 last year..
    The Carbon Trance advanced 27.5 looks sick, black, charcoal, 1x11 drivetrain with a 140 mm front fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1. That's the bike for me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I too want see pics of the 29ers. If they make a matt black trance x 29er advanced 1 with XT/Fox like the 27.5 that will be my next bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    if these Trance's are a definite (ie 26" + 27.5") then i'd be shocked if they add a 3rd wheelsize, ie 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I believe the Trance 26inch wheel size bike has been dropped, only 27.5 and 29
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    if these Trance's are a definite (ie 26" + 27.5") then i'd be shocked if they add a 3rd wheelsize, ie 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    have u seen post #227?

Quote Originally Posted by eruizela View Post
    I believe the Trance 26inch wheel size bike has been dropped, only 27.5 and 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Guess who just had his grubby little paws all up in a 2014 Giant Dealer Catalog. Yep. Stopped by the bike shop on the way home from doing some trail building (I told you my paws were all grubby!) and they were just putting it together and putting the price stickers in it. So, a few notes:

The Intrigue is a womens 27.5 Trance.

There are a LOT of 27.5 models.
    There are a LOT of bikes featuring Shimano group sets.
    The Trance SX (there's an Advance SX too) is really freaking expensive. But it has trail brakes and a 160mm fork, but it looks like it's still the same frame. Only available in 27.5.
    Most Trance 27.5 models feature adjustable 120-140 travel forks. HT angles are 70 degrees. CS is 17.3.
    There is no Reign.
    The Reign X1 is actually more appealing to me from a price/warranty/performance stand point than any of the Trances.

If you've got questions, I'll try to answer them from memory. Which means don't ask me for prices. I remember the SX bikes were $6K, the Reign X1 was $3.8K.
    Anthem X 29ers for 2014? Multiple spec levels? Alum and plastic?

Thanks for any info you can recall!

S6
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - MIA
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    have u seen post #227?
    All the bikes in the link are 27.5. Giant have previously said no more 26 in the models listed

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    fark, my bad. i assumed top 2 were 26" as only last one said 27.5.

All the bikes in the link are 27.5. Giant have previously said no more 26 in the models listed

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    Anthem X 29ers for 2014? Multiple spec levels? Alum and plastic?

Thanks for any info you can recall!

S6
    Yes. Yes. Lots of Shimano. Looks like the AL is getting a 1 and 3 this year, I remember no specifics on the spec, only that I was glad I'd bought my 2 this year. (warning, I'm a bit of a sram fan when it comes to components, there's something about the newer XT stuff from shimano that just feels cheap to me)

Trances are available in AL and carbon, 27.5 and 29.

XTC is available in AL and carbon, 27.5 and 29.

I do think the HTA is wrong in the book for the Trance, because a mechanic and I were both scratching our heads saying it doesn't LOOK like 70, and that'd be pretty agressive considering the Anthem 29er is 70.5.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast