Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by bowseruni View Post
    speculating here, announced if US summer, available to public when?
    In NZ and Australia the new years models are usually available September e.g. 2014 bikes available from September 2013.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I hope they put tags on the trance for 2014

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    2014 Giant Reign 27.5 anyone? [/QUOTE]

Guys, hear you loud-and-clear....just wait, good news coming this summer.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBicycle View Post
    2014 Giant Reign 27.5 anyone?

Guys, hear you loud-and-clear....just wait, good news coming this summer.
    I know you can't see it, but ever since you posted this, I have been doing the happy dance! Saving funds has begun now! Any other details you can provide would be awesome! Thanks for listening to your customers too!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When can we expect the 2014 bikes to be announced and/or appear on the website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    When can we expect the 2014 bikes to be announced and/or appear on the website.
    This. I'm really anxious to know when Giant will have its FS 650b offerings available before I go and spend my money on an SC Bronson.
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Bikes get introduced at Eurobike (end of August) and are shipped to dealers right after. So 2014 for Giant is September 2013 at the earliest.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

cowbell
    Based on the bikes available in my area, and the service and support I get from my LBS, I think I can hold out for Giant to release what I'm looking for, as long as they're going to do it. It would pretty much take Giant not offering what I want to make me order something from somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have been told by a bike shop owner in oz that Giant will have 650b in xtc,anthem, trance and reign(as pics from sea otter confirm). Despite selling 29ers in big volumes in western markets, giant have lost big sales in asia where smaller riders have been unable to get sizing right on a 29er. They might not release all models in all markets but have jumped on board 650b fully mainly due to lost sales in some markets.
    I cant see them turning away from 29ers particularly with the take up in Australia. I reckon in our market 650b will cater for the XS and S sizes(with other sizes available) with 29ers only available from M above

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My GF is looking for a new bike next year, will be her third year riding and time for a new ride. I think we are leaning towards the AnthemX 650 as she is only 5 foot nothing and I feel that would be a good fit for her. Yes they make small size 29ers but lets face it she weighs 105 lbs and for her to spin up 29ers will take allot of power. I want to see her have fun on the trails and not struggle with big wheels. For me 29ers fit perfect but like anything its not a one fits all world. We will definitely be taking some on a test ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Love it, Giant jumps in hook, line, and sinker to the 650B market leaving the other big 3 in the dust! Good for them for leading the charge. Has to put pressure on the other 3 to build 650B bikes and even Specialized who's so 29'er driven I'm sure will want a piece of the pie....especially after disappointing results in the first world enduro round where the top 29'er was 15th place and that was Lopes on the new Ibis Ripley which is not exactly an enduro bike. Race was won on a 650B bike BTW.

Looking forward to these new models and hopefully by summer would be nice.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Good, green, Oregon.
    Well, Giant's Josh Carlson ended up finishing 10th in PRO2 at the opening race of the Enduro World Series, on one of these protype bikes that have been discussed. Giant's Adam Craig came was 38th. Not bad for a stacked field! Must be cool to get to race these bikes before they are in production.

Enduro World Series

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by enfig View Post
    I'm hoping for a Giant Anthem 29'er with revised geometry: shorter chainstays and lower stand over height.
    Me too!!!

mtbr member
    I'm hoping they have employed someone else to design the paint schemes on their bikes! Also, it would be nice if they toned down the amount their name was printed on the bike, I think I counted the word giant 29 times on an Anthem.

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I'm hoping they have employed someone else to design the paint schemes on their bikes! Also, it would be nice if they toned down the amount their name was printed on the bike, I think I counted the word giant 29 times on an Anthem.
    This! How about some single color options for the love of God! Atleast my TX29 0 isn't as bad as the first run Anthem 29ers. But still, what happened to the older schemes? My old Reign was Olive drab and matte blk, very tough. My Trance X was that brushed aluminum.
    Last edited by Coach417; 05-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Space Ghost
    Another thing. With Giant jumping head first into the 27.5 market, does this bode well or poorly for the chance at seeing a Reign/X 29er to compete with Speshy's Enduro 29? I have loved all my maestro bikes and do believe variety is the spice of life. I would love to see the G-men continue to produce all models in all wheel sizes, but know that is not likely.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Another thing. With Giant jumping head first into the 27.5 market, does this bode well or poorly for the chance at seeing a Reign/X 29er to compete with Speshy's Enduro 29? I have loved all my maestro bikes and do believe variety is the spice of life. I would love to see the G-men continue to produce all models in all wheel sizes, but know that is not likely.
    My thought is that the look to 27.5 is a shot to 26" rather than 29ers. I can see those disappearing sooner than 29ers myself. But the Enduro is a unique bike anyways, and not many to compete with it. I just think Specialized and Trek missed the boat a bit with their release of their longer travel 29er bikes, and Giant dropping the hint that they are going with 27.5. Those are great bikes for sure, but I think the industry is headed towards 27.5 now, and Giant will be one of the early large companies to jump in. The will reap the benefits of the slower deciding Spesh and Trek. Just my thoughts anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2 questions:

a) Will the new Carbon "Reign" will also be available as a 26, or only 650b?

b) Will it be full carbon, or will it have a rear aluminium triangle, like the prototype in Punta Ala?

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by marsupilami View Post
    2 questions:

a) Will the new Carbon "Reign" will also be available as a 26, or only 650b?

b) Will it be full carbon, or will it have a rear aluminium triangle, like the prototype in Punta Ala?
    The question you should be asking is "Will the Reign still be available in 26?"

Based on other production bikes and the prototype, I suspect it will have an Al rear.

Space Ghost
    Interesting time in the bike industry to see where the dividing lines fall. It appears that Giant is going 27.5 and 29. Speshy going 29 and 26. Trek going 26 and 29, especially with their two new releases. The next year or two will be interesting to see them play out.

Good, green, Oregon.
    It is an interesting time for sure......

I think Giant learned from delaying a release of a 29er to see what would happen from the rest of the industry, and now they aren't going to miss out on the 27.5 frenzy.

While the new 29" Enduro from Spesh and the two new models from Trek in 29" are super nice and unique in their own right, I think they got caught with their pants down, so to speak. Right around the same time the info was getting out about these new rides from Spesh and Trek, info started to leak from Giant that they had a few 27.5 models up their sleeve, in ridable prototype form, ready for a 2014 release. I don't think Spesh and Trek will be left out though, and they will rush a 27.5 to market ASAP.

But already, this gives Giant a big jump on the competition for sure. They have played it the right way, by not showing any interest in the initial 27.5 craze, then showing a few models ready to rock and already racing in the Enduro World Series. Killer marketing, in my opinion. Go Giant Go!

mtbr member

"27.5 frenzy"

Interesting choice of words. Something tells me the growth is going to slow with bike prices going up so much. Plus product lines with too many bikes can hurt more than help sales.

We'll see, but bashing Specialized and Trek for not having a 27.5 model is just being ignorant of their scale of business practice.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The question you should be asking is "Will the Reign still be available in 26?"
    Actually, although that is a relevant point, in my case it does not apply. I already have an ALU Reign. The ideia is change for a carbon one.

This last few posts got me thinking, how can a 1,70m tall guy (me) justify change to 650B?. It's true I haven't tried it yet. But, as an happy rider of 3 26' Giant bikes, I cannot foresee why change. (like Sam Hill's take on Dirt)
    Last edited by marsupilami; 05-23-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    "27.5 frenzy"

Interesting choice of words. Something tells me the growth is going to slow with bike prices going up so much. Plus product lines with too many bikes can hurt more than help sales.

We'll see, but bashing Specialized and Trek for not having a 27.5 model is just being ignorant of their scale of business practice.
    I wasn't sure who this was directed at, but I wanted to clarify that I wasn't bashing Specialized or Trek for not having 27.5 models. Sure, they may miss out on sales of 27.5 bikes if they don't have one and others do, just like the others may miss out on sales of longer travel 29ers. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, just different. It is all a gamble at this point.....where do you put your R&D money and marketing? You of course want it to go where the sales are, right? I would agree though, too many choices can hurt, but I think that is why many have mentioned the going-away with some of the other models, especially in 26" varieties.

I do think 27.5/650b is on the verge of a "frenzy", absolutely. You don't? If not, why not? Look at what the big bike releases are lately, and what is being talked about on the forums, pinkbike, Dirt Rag, etc........27.5/650b enduro, all mountain style bikes. Yeah, I could go with the beginnings of a frenzy, sure. What would you call it?

mtbr member

I would call it "hype" as defined by the urban dictionary rather than a frenzy.

"A fad. A clever marketing strategy which a product is advertised as the thing everyone must have, to the point where people begin to feel they need to consume it."

For industry folks it has been a frenzy to feed the hype machine

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast