Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    Damn now i think Im leaning towards a 27.5 Anthem over the 29er with news of them wanting to phase 29ers out...
    My LBS said that the 29er would not be phased out. He just got back from the demo days and said the vibe he got was 26 is out on everything but the Reign. The rest of the line up will be 27.5 and 29ers. The Trance and Anthem will have both sizes and the XTC will be 27.5 only. He said this is the vision from what he gathered. He did have the new catalog with the new bikes in it and Giant does have 2014 Trance and Anthem 29ers so the whole "you can't get a 29er frame" idea isn't true. Giant will still honor the manufacturers warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    Interesting review of the new Trance: Flow?s First Bite: Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 0 | Flow Mountain Bike

Claimed weight is 11.10kg
    Thanks for the link.

On a side note, who do I have to pay to get some details/reviews etc... on the Anthem. FFS, enough of the Trance! =)
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - MIA
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anthem vs. Lust.

I find it a bit strange that the Lust gets a steeper HTA 70 vs. 69.5).
    Bigger head tube. 4.3 vs 3.9 on the 18" (stiffer frame ?)
    Specked with a dropper post.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these 3 characteristics indicative of a more aggressive ride? Why would the women's bike be specked more aggressively?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    11.1kg for the Trance is fantastic!!

I have a 2012 Trance Adv SL 0 (26") in a small, and stock it was around 12.1kg. Even with significant mods is down to 11.3kg. So 11.kg as a starting point is insane

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    11.1kg for the Trance is fantastic!!

I have a 2012 Trance Adv SL 0 (26") in a small, and stock it was around 12.1kg. Even with significant mods is down to 11.3kg. So 11.kg as a starting point is insane
    Article said the new model has carbon wheels... nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eruizela View Post
    Just saw this from a friend on Facebook, local So Cal shop has these puppies
    Can someone tell me what frame size that red one is? Is it a small or an extra small? The top tube really seems to drop down a lot. Reminds me of some 29ers.

Picture of Original post was 296 on page 12

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Does anyone know if the catalog pages posted on MTBR's front page are the bikes available in the US from Giant in 2014? I have heard differing reports.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

I am looking hard at the trance 2. but i am hearing it is not available in the states . can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    I was at my LBS earlier this week and we looked at the dealer website for availability. The Trance X 29er bikes are slated for week 32 availability but yet there is next to no information on them or excitement....strange. I looked at the X1 spec and is similar to last year with the exception of a stealth dropper and Shimano brakes. Does anybody have pictures of the Trance X 29er bikes that are supposed to be available next week?

mtbr member
    I got really excited when I saw the release of Giant's 2014 lineup. Not going to go into the 26" vs 27.5" vs 29" debate but I think Giant did better with the colour schemes of the bikes this year. The Trance colours for 2013 were just...awful. The colours on the Trance Team model looks sick!

Anyway, given that the Trance now has 140mm of travel, and I think many have mentioned that the Reign is no more, it might actually be true? Makes no sense to have 140mm and 150mm travel bikes in the range.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp View Post
    Anthem vs. Lust.

I find it a bit strange that the Lust gets a steeper HTA 70 vs. 69.5).
    Bigger head tube. 4.3 vs 3.9 on the 18" (stiffer frame ?)
    Specked with a dropper post.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these 3 characteristics indicative of a more aggressive ride? Why would the women's bike be specked more aggressively?
    That is strange. What I can't understand is how the 26 and 29'er are 71 and the 27.5 is 69.5. That really turns me off of the 27.5 bike. Unless the offset is proprietary to make up for the slack angle, 69.5 seems too slack for me. I rode a 68.8 or slacker xc bike and before I knew what the angles were, I found it handled slow. Proof will be in the pudding. I will demo the 27.5 Anthem any time I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    That is strange. What I can't understand is how the 26 and 29'er are 71 and the 27.5 is 69.5. That really turns me off of the 27.5 bike. Unless the offset is proprietary to make up for the slack angle, 69.5 seems too slack for me. I rode a 68.8 or slacker xc bike and before I knew what the angles were, I found it handled slow. Proof will be in the pudding. I will demo the 27.5 Anthem any time I can.
    I reckon that giant is positioning the anthem into more of a xc/trail role since the trance has taken over some of the reign duties. Most Hardcore xc guys are going to go hardtail or 29 or both

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anthem x 29er has always been a Marathon endurance racing bike but i wouldn't be surprised if the quicker acceleration and more cush of the 27.5 Ax gets a few Fs converts back from 29er hard tails like the 26"Ax of old. You just don't get the same rollover on a 27.5 hard tail and won't descend as fast.You'll have to be hard core xc to go 27.5 XTc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My Ax is closer to 70. From memory, about 70.3 deg and that's with the lower AC of a fox fork. With a RS fork it would be vey close to 70 deg. So 69.5 for the 27.5 is quite steep IMHO.
    I haven't looked at the geo charts but also check the wheelbase. The 27.5 , if the head angle is that close, with shorter chainstays could be a shorter wheelbase on the 27.5 Lust[ whatever that is?]. Shorter wb and shorter cs along with difference in stem length can make more difference than head angle. depends what your after high or low speed handling as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The lust is the women's version of the anthem.

I road a 26" epic for years. It had a 70 degree HTA. I felt that bike was very neutral in its handling. I owned 3 different years.

I have been riding a 29er HT now for the past 5 years. My Mamasita was a 72 degree HTA. It was fine. I really liked that bike. I certainly wouldn't have called it fast or twitchy.

Now during that time I also owned and Anthem X 26er. Best all around bike I have owned. That HTA at 71 felt very fast to me. I liked it, but I think if it had been 70.5 I would still have that bike.

My current bike and the one I have now owned the longest in the last 12 years is my 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon 29er. HTA 71. This bike is just about perfect. I am surprised the epic 29er at 70.5.

I would have expected the anthem 650 to be 70.5 maybe 70. I too am put off by the 69.5 number. I was excited to finally have a xc race bike in 650b and now I'm not sure what I am going to do.

I used the epic to compare because I have always felt the anthem and epic were good equals. I would through the spark in with that too, but I have no experience with the bike.

And its still weird that the women's version is specked more aggressively.

I'm not giving you crap, but I never thought I would hear someone say a sub 70 degree HTA is "quite steep" on a race bike. I guess is shows I no longer know what the bike industry is doing.

I am glad that race bikes got a little slacker over the last decade, but the anthem is supposed to be a race bike no? plus bigger tires can push steep HTA. So the fact the 650b version is lower than most 26er HTA is crazy to me.
    Last edited by heythorp; 07-31-2013 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just got done with a demo of the Anthem X3 (alloy) 27.5.

The 69.5 HTA is perfect in my opinion. It will make a perfect marathon/XC bike. The BB feels low as well although I didn't measure it. Looking at the geo charts, I felt this was the perfect bike for most of the riding I do. I've had the Anthem 26, Xtc 26, Anthem 29, and now I'm on an XTCc 29. This bike is like a great combo of all of those.

So, I ordered the frame only (alloy). No idea when it'll be in, but whatever. It should be fun.

Also, demoed the Trance 1. If you do that kind of aggressive enduro riding, that thing will be your dream bike. What a monster! Awesome, awesome bike. Long, low, and slack with a short rear end. I just don't need that much travel. But I predict Giant will sell a million of them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi George and all here,

The geo specs for Trance X 27.5 is out already. But there seems no geo spec for Anthem X 27.5 ? Has anybody seen any and provide here for us to see and compare.

I use a Trance X 26er 2013 converted to 27.5 (F & R). The Anthem specs come very close to that of this TX. I'm curious to "upgrade" to the latest AX 27.5 Advanced to get a lighter more XC bike.

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by george7117 View Post
    Just got done with a demo of the Anthem X3 (alloy) 27.5.

The 69.5 HTA is perfect in my opinion. It will make a perfect marathon/XC bike. The BB feels low as well although I didn't measure it. Looking at the geo charts, I felt this was the perfect bike for most of the riding I do. I've had the Anthem 26, Xtc 26, Anthem 29, and now I'm on an XTCc 29. This bike is like a great combo of all of those.

So, I ordered the frame only (alloy). No idea when it'll be in, but whatever. It should be fun.

Also, demoed the Trance 1. If you do that kind of aggressive enduro riding, that thing will be your dream bike. What a monster! Awesome, awesome bike. Long, low, and slack with a short rear end. I just don't need that much travel. But I predict Giant will sell a million of them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    emailpeter, we are pulling the specs from the mtbr post on the main page. They have images from the catalog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks guys,
    Still can't find the WB, CS, TT dimensions etc for AX Advanced 27.5. Or at least alum will do as a rough guide. If anyone has, kindly guide. Thks

emailpeter, we are pulling the specs from the mtbr post on the main page. They have images from the catalog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thks Heythorp for guide. Finally found it. Thks

mtbr member

2014 TX29 0 Australia

2010 Glory custom FR
    This frame, actually, hasn't change a bit, AFAIK
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2014 models are online:
    Bike Finder - Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    Thanks for heads up!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, they're pretty proud of the Trance carbon 27.5 frame. Costs more than a Pivot or Turner frame, and almost as much as a Yeti SB95C.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2014 Anthem 29'ers

Ok, so Giant is going bonkers with 27.5 bikes, but...they haven't completely forgotten about 29'ers... yet.

On the USA site I see an AX1 and an AX3 and the Lust 1 and 2 which are 27.5. No frame only options shown for the 29'ers but you can get a Lust 27.5 frame and of course it costs more than what the 29'er Anthem frames cost in 2013. Although I will say that the new 27.5 Anthem frames appear to have a convertible dropout system to allow for the larger axles. The colours for the Lust one and two are nice. Reeaallly nice. One is green and the other is Blue and purple. Sick, good looking bikes. Anyways, back to the 29'er Anthems.

It looks like the Anthem 29'ers have these few welcome changes:

AX1 29'er
    SLX brakes with 180 front and 160 rear rotors.
    A nice welcome change I think.
    Possibly different handle bar.
    Different colours. Charcoal/Silver/Black AX1.

AX3 29'er
    The AX3 is black/blue/white (I like this colour combo).
    AX3 has RS Recon and Monarch R rear shock.
    AX3 has Deore brakes also with 180 front and 160 rear rotors.
    Again, nice change to Shimano brakes.

Prices seem similar to 2013.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    Does this mean that the bikes will be available soon?

Can anyone recommend any online stores who sells Giant bikes and framesets.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Does this mean that the bikes will be available soon?

Can anyone recommend any online stores who sells Giant bikes and framesets.
    The bikes are already available in some places, and are available to order through dealers. I don't think Giant has any allowed online retailers, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No online retailers. It looks like some bikes are already in shops. I am going to talk to my dealer today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry Giant... You lost me... With this kind of pricing people are going to look at small specialty companies like Pivot, IBis, Yetty.

Volkswagen tried that expensive /competing with luxury brands approach with Phaeton, didn't work. MB and BMW buyers will not switch brands for similar money and new customers will only try it if it is dramatically lower priced: Huyndai Genesis pulled it off.

So give me a Trance XT carbon bike for $3500-$4000 (no mattter what wheel size) and you'll get a customer back. For 5K adn up I'm looking elsewhere,.. sorry
    (PS: I happen to like the way Giant bikes ride, have 2 of their bikes : Anthem and Reign)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ilyam3, I get you there.

I am more frustrated by the lack of aluminum options (of course I am talking anthem here). Only one aluminum version? Not good enough, especially when its specked like crap. I really don't understand some of their decisions. Its almost like they forced 650b this year and some of the details got missed.

Good, green, Oregon.
    A sub $4k carbon full XT bike? Not sure that exists. I heard Norco may drop a carbon Sight soon, with a $4k price, but that is said to even lose them some $, just to get into the mix. Also remember, the initial pricing may be a bit higher, because it is what everyone is after right now.....new models, 27.5, etc. You really don't expect sales on these brand new rides at this point do you, when they haven't even hit many stores yet? Come on.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    KHS 650B bikes are fairly well equipped 120 and 140 mm travel bikes with decent horst link suspension and they are more reasonably priced I think, although I'm not sure about components. I also was not so sure about space for 2.25 tires AND mud. Anyhow...I agree, Giant pricing is a bit higher. The convertible rear dropout is nice, but, is it worth hundreds more? Introducing 27.5 bikes is really messing up their lineups. Limited models in 27.5 and 29'er.

Admittedly the 69.5 deg ha isn't that bad, as I have a 70 deg ha on my xc 26" bike, but...the KHS bikes with 69.5 deg ha are 120 mm travel so the 69.5 on the 275 Anthem has me scratching my head a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Admittedly the 69.5 deg ha isn't that bad, as I have a 70 deg ha on my xc 26" bike, but...the KHS bikes with 69.5 deg ha are 120 mm travel so the 69.5 on the 275 Anthem has me scratching my head a bit.
    It makes zero sense.
    It's not too early! Giant in 2014?-giant.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It makes zero sense.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	821130
    I doubt the CS is really 17 on the Anthem 27.5...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I doubt the CS is really 17 on the Anthem 27.5...
    Not sure, but I can only go by what Giant is telling me.

Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No online retailers. It looks like some bikes are already in shops. I am going to talk to my dealer today.
    Well, that sucks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone have any experiences with the Anyroad?

see me rollin, they hatin
    the new trancex 29s look so much better than my current 2013, but why the heck the 700 dollar increase? what did they change? the 27.5s look cool too....and i'm surpised to see a lower spec anthem 29 only. It is a little odd.....
    fap

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    A sub $4k carbon full XT bike? Not sure that exists. I heard Norco may drop a carbon Sight soon, with a $4k price, but that is said to even lose them some $, just to get into the mix. Also remember, the initial pricing may be a bit higher, because it is what everyone is after right now.....new models, 27.5, etc. You really don't expect sales on these brand new rides at this point do you, when they haven't even hit many stores yet? Come on.
    This, carbon + XT = 5k starting point with pretty much every manufacturer. You'll only drop below 5K on SLX, and that's with SCs superpackagedeal pricing. Hell their XT bike is $5800 MSRP.

Carbon + XT @ $4k = likely dealer cost. Good luck w/ that price the week the bikes come out ^_^

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nicole, I don't know where you are, but the US site is showing 2 Aluminum versions the 1 at $2875 and the 3 at $1750.

The 1 is actually pretty nice with fox ctd front and rear and a full SLX kit (with xt rear Derailleur). If I was looking for an "entry level" race bike, that would be pretty high on the list from what I am seeing out of other manufactures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The anthem advance 1 27.5 is MSRP at $4750. Full XT. This is a great starting point. With some relationship building at a shop, I'm thinking you could get close to $4200 before taxes.

although u guys r probably talking longer travel
    Last edited by heythorp; 08-01-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: whoopsi was sure msrp was 4500

see me rollin, they hatin
    Nicole, I don't know where you are, but the US site is showing 2 Aluminum versions the 1 at $2875 and the 3 at $1750.

The 1 is actually pretty nice with fox ctd front and rear and a full SLX kit (with xt rear Derailleur). If I was looking for an "entry level" race bike, that would be pretty high on the list from what I am seeing out of other manufactures.
    oh, sorry i missed the 3, and apparently the Advanced as well.

and i guess the trance 29 is all kashima'd out. Thats nice, but i probably wouldnt need the extra cost.
    fap

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with the Anyroad?
    No experience, but I was keeping an eye on this... until I saw the Revolt 0.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, that sucks.
    Why?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Has anyone seen images of the 2014 glorys or specs? Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    No experience, but I was keeping an eye on this... until I saw the Revolt 0.
    Saw that too, however I'd be more looking for something to ride road, dirt and join an occasional CX race (not competitively). I'd have to swap out tires on the Revolt I think (they're too wide for CX).

Mind if I ask why you prefer the Revolt? I guess there are diff (better) spec levels and you don't have the noob brake lever on the flats...

Though I guess the TCX is only a little more money too... hrm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-pan View Post
    Has anyone seen images of the 2014 glorys or specs? Cheers
    Glory 2 will have a Domain instead of a Boxxer.
    2014 Glory 0 and Glory 2 are on Giant's USA website:
    Glory 0 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

There are some pictures of the Glory 2 here (on page 1 and 2):
    2014 Giant Glory - Pinkbike Forum

Kit may vary depending on region? I hope we get Boxxers in Canada instead of the Domain at the 3k price point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Changes to TX29? Seems like 0 and 2 jumped in price, and 1 remains the bang for buck. Better dropper post? Shimano brakes. Seems like it looks better with the paint, stealth dropper and black saddle. Hard to say what the gray/silver actually looks, I'm guessing the image doesn't do it justice. Is there any changes to how the Fox suspension works? What about the wheels? I don't understand about the wheels stuff, seems to be cheaper tires and spokes?

Pretty fitting, because I was thinking of buying the 1, but I was wondering about needing to change the dropper post, brakes and saddle for it. Also the '13 paints all were kind of unappealing, namely the 0. Rest two were ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Saw that too, however I'd be more looking for something to ride road, dirt and join an occasional CX race (not competitively). I'd have to swap out tires on the Revolt I think (they're too wide for CX).

Mind if I ask why you prefer the Revolt? I guess there are diff (better) spec levels and you don't have the noob brake lever on the flats...

Though I guess the TCX is only a little more money too... hrm.
    The MTB spec drivetrain is more appealing to me, no doubt. While the TCXs are nice, they are to aggressive outside of actually racing CX. I definitely wouldn't want to do a long gravel type ride on one. Good point on tire width. Maybe an easy fix for occasional CX. The top tube angle, while not ideal, looks more shoulderable (lol) than the AR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The MTB spec drivetrain is more appealing to me, no doubt. While the TCXs are nice, they are to aggressive outside of actually racing CX. I definitely wouldn't want to do a long gravel type ride on one. Good point on tire width. Maybe an easy fix for occasional CX. The top tube angle, while not ideal, looks more shoulderable (lol) than the AR.
    Fair enough, I was actually fairly surprised to see how similar the Allroad geo was compared to the TCX, minus the HT angle and favorable stand-over height of course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It makes zero sense.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	821130
    Maybe they don't want to affect Anthem 29'er sales even just a bit...just yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just finished putting together my Anthem 27.5 2. Pretty impressed with it. Wont be able to ride it till tomorrow unfortunately.
    Large no pedals 12.37kg straight out of the box. I couldnt get any specs for it from Giant Australia so I just ordered it. Only downer is the Monarch R fitted not RL.
    Things Ill be doing to it
    Tubeless conversion(till I can get some more funds for wheels)
    XT cassette, XTR rear derailleur, XT front shifter(I do like however the type 2 R/D)
    FSA K force 386 crankset
    Ill let you know how it goes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just measured my chainstay 17 inches or about 433mm
    Last edited by benparker79; 08-01-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: needs more info

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Ben,

Thanks for sharing. Definitely interested in a ride report, even if it is just first impressions.

I am placing an order in the next week or so. The only question right now is it for 3 or 4 Anthems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by benparker79 View Post
    ... Anthem 27.5 2. ...
    Advanced?

mtbr member
    Just finished putting together my Anthem 27.5 2. Pretty impressed with it. Wont be able to ride it till tomorrow unfortunately.
    Large no pedals 12.37kg straight out of the box. I couldnt get any specs for it from Giant Australia so I just ordered it. Only downer is the Monarch R fitted not RL.
    XT cassette, XTR rear derailleur, XT front shifter(I do like however the type 2 R/D)
    FSA K force 386 crankset
    post pictures!

mtbr member
    will the trance x 29er be available in a frame only option?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    FSA K force 386 crankset
    where did you order it from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Heres some photos of the bikes in a shop here in New Zealand https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2180931&type=3

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaholic View Post
    Heres some photos of the bikes in a shop here in New Zealand https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2180931&type=3
    I dont think this is a photo from bike shop. Looks more like a product launch by Giant and this bike shop must have been invited to the party

What bike shop have carpet? it must be a hotel room

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't believe so many are hung up on + or - 1 degree HTA and whatnot. A bike is more than a sum of its parts and in this case, measurements. I recall that on paper the Anthem 29 was a pig with its long chainstays yet most that have ridden it regard it highly and it has proven a worthy bike in high profile events. It's the overall balance of all dimensions and angles that counts, so ride it before you judge it. I for one chuckle any time someone excludes a bike from their list because one angle or another is different than what they deem as correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I work at Sportspower Merimbula NSW and we sell Giant. Ordered it on tuesday.

Alloy frame.

Also we have carpet in our shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes sorry, those photos are from a launch in Melbourne Australia

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Somebod seen some more pics of the glory1? Back to fox/shimano? Great! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why?
    Because I live in Europe, and it will take a while before its available here. They dont even have the prices ready, and it will also cost A LOT more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    what tha fack happened to the reign? that bike made giant what it is today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    isn't the new 160mm travel 34mm fork, 66 degree head angle Trance SX enough? What would Giant need a Reign for if you had this new 27.5 Trance SX?...Would the extra 10mm rear travel make that much difference? This new Trance SX sounds more capable than a Reign, no?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i'm sure the trance is plenty capable. It seems whack to me that they would spec a bike with 140 in the rear and 160 upfront. Shall I put a 170 lyrics or fox 180 on my reign? me thinks not. That bike sold so well. i guess they should have at least kept it as a 26". But i do understand times are a changing, and giant is usually the last to react to market trends. (my 2010 reign has a 6.3 inch non tapered headtube, most other trail bikes had tapered head tubes (giant had the first tapered headtube on 2006 glory), my 2011 glory has 65.5 head angle, all other companies dh offerings were 64 and slacker by then. . .) Seems like they really jumped the gun. . .

I'll keep running what i got though! great bikes. I agree with some previous posters though, at these price points why wouldn't you get into a smaller more dedicated brand (transition, ibis, intense, pivot to name a few?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If my Reign 0 didn't have a giant (no pun intended) dent in the top tube, I would move on to the Trance SX Advanced this year.

trance sx 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ride report for anthem 27.5 2.
    Just for some back ground info. My last 2 bikes 2012 anthem 29er, 2013 xtc composite 29er.
    Positive. New geometry is great. Obviously going t be smoother than my last bike but this thing is smooth. I do think the lack of chain chatter helps in this instance. I found it easy to wheely and manual, much lighter in the front end than the 29er. Looks awesome.

Negative. My only real problem is with the spec and therefore the weight. Overall bike weight is low but wheel weight and cassette mean it doesn't quite leap out of the corners like the xtc. Easy fixed with tubeless and xt cassette and maybe some wheels later on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks Ben, do you have a weight?
    Which version did you ride?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's the alloy 2. Weight without pedals 12.4kg out of the box.

mtbr member
    The new SX advanced looks sweet and is on my list as a new rig, but giant really need to fire the person responsible for the awful color and graphic choices! They just always remind me of cheap Walmart bikes. I mean does anyone really want a bronze bike?

mtbr member
    I know it doesn't seem like much but I'am so happy that the Anthem X29er comes with Shimano SLX brake/levers instead of Elixirs..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looking forward to this Sunday's demo day. Maybe 27.5 is for me.
    Yes, it's for me. Will I give up my 29er? Absolutely not, but I could definitely see myself adding a 27.5 Anthem to the stable.

I had the opportunity to demo this bike: Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States though it was spec'd with a trigger shift vice the grip shift. If you haven't had a chance to ride XX1 yet, I found it flawless and adequate for my local loop which is more XC with short climbs.

The only things I would change out would be the Avids and the stem which I found was a bit long. I'm 6'0" about 185 and demo'd the large and I did feel a little cramped, I think I could fit an XL frame with comfort.

Roller didn't seem to be an issue for me though on one little descent the front got a little squirrely which was odd considering the slacker HTA than the 29er, which is too say that I personally did't notice the slackness. I attribute that to my needing to adjust to the smaller wheel and not be so lazy with my line. TBH, I didn't feel like I gave up a lot of the stability and confidence that my 29er gives me in change for a little more maneuverability.

Although I can't justify spending the equivalent of car down payment on a bicycle, I pulled 16 PRs (a lot having to do with the full suspension versus my HT). Th ability to get up to speed quicker was definitely welcome, though I did have to work a little harder maintain.

It was a fun bike to ride and for me, that's all that really matters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bikes up now on the Aus website. prices cheaper as expected.

Bike Finder - Giant Bicycles | Australia

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    The new SX advanced looks sweet and is on my list as a new rig, but giant really need to fire the person responsible for the awful color and graphic choices! They just always remind me of cheap Walmart bikes. I mean does anyone really want a bronze bike?
    x2

I was lined up to buy a Trance X 29-1. Now, I'm shopping other options. The paint scheme and color is horrible!

mtbr member
    Damn the Trance SX advanced is $1000 cheaper in AUS than the US when converted to USD!!! WTF?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Damn the Trance SX advanced is $1000 cheaper in AUS than the US when converted to USD!!! WTF?

Looks like the Anthem X Advanced 27.5 is about 2200 cheaper. 6799AUS = 6k USD. Priced at 8250 on the US page.

mtbr member
    I wonder how much shipping cost would be?

mtbr member
    What are Giant thinking?????? That is such a huge disparity in price! Seems like the US customers are getting a little screwed!

what a joke
    What are Giant thinking?????? That is such a huge disparity in price! Seems like the US customers are getting a little screwed!
    We have been getting screwed for years down here. Bikes, electronics, cars, boats you name we have been gouged!
    blah blah blah

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    I wonder how much shipping cost would be?
    For that difference, just take a nice lil' vacation down under, and bring it home!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't forget that we have the most expensive real estate in the world

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If anyone is interested I have just converted the standard wheels to tubeless. While I had them stripped I weighed them. P-XC2 27.5
    Front 845g
    Rear 1135g
    Total 1980g

So Im saving up for some new wheels. Any ideas?
    Im thinking Stans Crest. reasons, had them before in 29er and have been great, standard spokes are easy to get, price to weight ratio good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If anyone is interested I have just converted the standard wheels to tubeless. While I had them stripped I weighed them. P-XC2 27.5
    Front 845g
    Rear 1135g
    Total 1980g

So Im saving up for some new wheels. Any ideas?
    Im thinking Stans Crest. reasons, had them before in 29er and have been great, standard spokes are easy to get, price to weight ratio good.
    I hear Mavic is prototyping Crossmax SLR 27.5.

Your Best Friend
    Front 845g
    Rear 1135g
    Total 1980g
    Ouch! That is heavy even for a 29er wheelset. Really glad they are moving to 27.5 to lose some weight (<sarcasm).
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Ouch! That is heavy even for a 29er wheelset. Really glad they are moving to 27.5 to lose some weight (<sarcasm).
    The 29 er version weighs 2.2 kg for the wheelset!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any known weight of the carbon version of the wheelset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's on their website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Any known weight of the carbon version of the wheelset?
    1430g for the 29er...didn't see 27.5/650b listed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For that difference, just take a nice lil' vacation down under, and bring it home!
    thats a damn good idea!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Prices are finally available here in Norway.

The cheapest Trance 27.5 has a SR Suntour Epicon TR RL-L fork and giant rear shock.

Any info about the fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can someone confirm that the Trance SX and the regular Trance 27.5 uses the same frame? If its the same, then there should be no problem to use a 150-160mm fork on the Trance 27.5?

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Can someone confirm that the Trance SX and the regular Trance 27.5 uses the same frame? If its the same, then there should be no problem to use a 150-160mm fork on the Trance 27.5?
    Consider it confirmed. Only one Alloy Trance 27.5 frame and only one carbon Trance 27.5 frame
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Still at least a month before the 2014's are released for sale here

My ideal would be the Anthem advanced 1

though is it really worth it for the carbon over the Alu 1 ?

With the difference in price i could spec out a superlight set of wheels and some carbon parts etc..

or put some more cash into the pot and go for the Alu Trance 2

what do you guys reckon?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is the Anthem Advanced 0 Team coming with Xloc or not? Specs contains Xloc but pictures always without.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Is the Anthem Advanced 0 Team coming with Xloc or not? Specs contains Xloc but pictures always without.
    FWIW, the ones at a recent demo had them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1