Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There's no way in Australia that 29 ers will be discontinued. They sell too well and as a rider of one are great bikes. Go to any race/ event and look at what most people are riding: 29 ers!! What will change is that there will be no small sized 29 ers and 27.5 versions will sell alongside the trance and anthem 29. Just like 26 and 29 co existed in 2011 and 2012. In Australia for 2013 the reign was the only 26 performance bike

What I want to know is will giant release a carbon trance 29 er or will we have to wait another year?
    Last edited by CharlieDontSurf; 06-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Just to keep the info coming and updated, Adam Craig did it again, this time on what looked to be the 5" travel 27.5 prototype (Trance variant?) rather than the 6" travel 27.5 ride (Reign variant?). Actually, it was a pretty good weekend overall for Giant placing 1st, 3rd and 4th!
    Oregon Enduro 2 - Bend Race Report - Pinkbike
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

banned
    Jan 2013

Good, green, Oregon.
    First off musikron, what is that?

Secondly, has anyone seen any updates on the 27.5 bikes of late? Not the ones already released, but the Trance and Reign variants seen under Adam Craig and Josh Carlson. Seems quiet of late, and I am curious!

EDIT: I just saw your other thread and write up on the Tempt, musikron. Going to read it now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mee too! I want to know the details of these Giant 27.5 trance/reigns. These will be the ones to beat for the buck!

Primative Screwhead
    Giant Australia (distribution) have sold out of 2013 Anthem X 29er 0. None orderable, no more being made. I sure hope they aren't replacing all Anthem 29ers with 650 next year. I'm just not interested in the 650b format. At all.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    wow, that's amazing.

can't believe they'd replace them, but adding a 650b Trance and Anthem would be awesome. also, hope carbon variants arrive at some point if they do!

Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux View Post
    Giant Australia (distribution) have sold out of 2013 Anthem X 29er 0. None orderable, no more being made. I sure hope they aren't replacing all Anthem 29ers with 650 next year. I'm just not interested in the 650b format. At all.

cowbell
    I've been being quiet about this, but EVERY indication I have is that the 29er is leaving Giant's lineup. I hope it isn't true, but we have a Giant product manager saying three wheel sizes isn't a sustainable situation for them, and I don't see them running a 27.5 wheeled Glory, which means 26 isn't going away. I'm as excited about the possibilities that a 27.5 inch wheel has as anyone, but I still like my 29ers.

Prediction: No more 29ers from Giant in 2014. Maybe the correct a little in 2015 and we get some 29er XC stuff back, but I think all Trail and AM stuff will be 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seems strange given they only just released the trance 29er. Gonna be interesting that's for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I've been being quiet about this, but EVERY indication I have is that the 29er is leaving Giant's lineup. I hope it isn't true, but we have a Giant product manager saying three wheel sizes isn't a sustainable situation for them, and I don't see them running a 27.5 wheeled Glory, which means 26 isn't going away. I'm as excited about the possibilities that a 27.5 inch wheel has as anyone, but I still like my 29ers.

Prediction: No more 29ers from Giant in 2014. Maybe the correct a little in 2015 and we get some 29er XC stuff back, but I think all Trail and AM stuff will be 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have been hearing from more dealers in Australia that the amount of 29ers will be at least reduced compared to this year. If Giant is turning its back on 29ers that would crazy.

My take is that Giant thinks 27.5 is for the masses and probably rightly so. If the Glory is the only 26 then how hard woud it be to just stock downhill tubes tires and parts.

I think Giant will consign 29ers to only high end product and larger sizes. Ie carbon xtc, anthem and possibly the trance. As there is no carbon trance 29er yet it will be interesting to see where they go. Why would they spend the cash to develop a model for a 1 year run only to be replaced by a different wheel size the following year which they would have known was coming anyway??

Any thoughts anyone

Space Ghost
    I would really doubt that after all the r&d on the trance x 29ers that they would simply halt production. Trying to be optimistic; maybe the lack of Anthem 29ers is an indicator of a model change. Shorter chain stays, and lower TT more in line with the Trance 29. Industry wide, it is going to be very interesting to see where the different manufacturers draw the line for wheel sizes. Do they go Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz and produce all three? Or go Specialized and do 29er/26er? Compelling times for sure.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I would really doubt that after all the r&d on the trance x 29ers that they would simply halt production.
    I agree with this. My lbs said they sold a whole mess of Trance x29's and that they barely sold any Anthems. I think the Anthem 29's might go away, but not the Trance 29.

And like CharlieDon'tSurf said, maybe they keep the 29" wheels to the higher end bikes. For instance, the Revel 29er and Talon 29er could be replaced with the 27.5" versions. But then they wouldn't have a 29er hardtail below about $1400 (XTC 2)
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

banned
    Jan 2013
    Thats a new Tempt 5.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Great posts guys and good discussions for sure.

The way I see it is this…….

29ers are great for XC and XC racing. XC guys know this, and the speed the ease of rolling over trail obstacles is undeniable, and that fits right into what a 29er was designed for. In addition, I also agree that with the R&D they put into the Trance X 29er that I don’t see that being a one year run at all. Remember the “Developing the ultimate trail bike” video with Adam Craig? Sounds like they put a lot of thought into that bike, and it is a great bike for sure. I can see a redesigned Anthem coming out, as that bike is truly top-notch in the XC world. But an odd twist here that I am not sure everyone would agree with, is with the Anthem, I could see them offering it in multiple wheel sizes in the Anthem line-up. Either a women’s specific Anthem with only 27.5 wheels, or by frame size even within the men’s and women’s Anthems. Something about a size small Anthem with 29er wheels might not work as well. Proportions, you know?

27.5 – I see this becoming the true dominating wheel size in the trail/all-mountain/enduro marketplace. It makes sense if you go with the theories (and they are more than theories, really) that they roll over obstacles like a 29er, but still have that “flickablity” factor like a 26”. And yes, I just made up a word, flickablity…..you can use it if you want. I can see the Reign and a Trance X being set up with 27.5 wheels, and I think that is what we are seeing with the prototypes that Adam and Josh are racing right now.

26” – Giant has stated openly that they can’t see supporting three wheel sizes. That we know, and it makes sense when you think about it on a scale of the local bike shop owner and the inventory. Sure, 26’ is the dominate wheel size in downhill (Glory), but the 27.5 aspect is beginning to creep into that world too, with a few guys riding (maybe testing) these on WC circuit. It may take a while for that market to get influenced, but there may be something there.

What I am not sure of, is I don’t see all this happening in one model years’ time. That would be a sudden and massive shift, and for a company the size of Giant, that may be a hard thing to do. That said, Santa Cruz has done it, and done it fast, with dropping bikes, adding many new 27.5 models and just charging ahead. But they are a smaller company and probably quicker on their feet, so to speak, at changing their lineup. But with Giant and the way they have their models laid out with the X versions, and regular versions, they could do some mixing in of wheel sizing within the same bikes, based on what their end use is.

Just some random thoughts and ideas for sure, and nothing that I have any insider info on. Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Keep them coming!

Primative Screwhead
    Check out Jolanda Neff's Facebook page (purely for research, of course... )

She has a photo of the new carbon XTC 27.5 hardtail that she has been testing.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    when a new bike comes out, to what extent is it the finished product? by that i mean, if a 650b comes out in a Trance in 2014, is there a possibility the geometry may not be quite optimal in 1st year of release and might be improved in following year ie 2015?

cowbell
    They've been revising 29er geometry for years, making advances on how they configure chain stays and all maner of other stuff to alter handling. I'm certain they'll continue to revise 27.5 geometry, although how often the release revisions is anyone's guess.

As far as no 29ers this year, it looks like they already have me wrong in one place - the Revel still has a 29er - in fact, the new one was apparently just released. I'm watching to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

If we stick to the school of thought that 3 wheel sizes aren't sustainable or viable, it's 26 I see going away not 29. However I see that statement by Giant as more of a long term projection than necessarily reflecting the 2014 lineup. I think next year we'll see all 3.

But think about it, the phasing out of 26 has already occurred on much of the lineup - XTC and Anthem completely, and even Trance 26ers were hard to come by this year. Also, logically, if one were to replace 26 or 29 with 27, which one would 27 really be a better substitute for? It's much closer to 26 with some added diameter for rolling obstacles. It's further from 29. So there is more clear differentiation in the lineup by keeping 27 and 29 offerings. In longer travel applications I can see 26 staying for sometime however.

So my prediction: all bikes that have gone 29er over the years (XTC, Anthem, Trance) will keep 29 and add 27 option. In the case of the Trance, 27 will replace 26. I could see Reign going 27 only but I think they'll still offer a 26, and I think Glory will stay 26. But long term it's 26 that I see being pushed aside.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Update of sorts, I would say:

Note the "See it this August at giant-bicycles.com" at the bottom of the ad. I guess we can safely assume that this will be one of the new prototype bikes that Josh Carlson has been riding in the Enduro World Series......a 5" - 6" travel, 27.5, trail slaying machine. Sounds like the perfect bike for me! Now, to come up with the winning lottery numbers......Hmmmmm.

mtbr member
    @Giant Chachi, great post! Can't wait to see what kind of line up Giant will have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe it's already been said, but ... Anybody see the 2014 Talon 27.5 listed on the Giant website. Hmmmmm. Makes you wonder, huh?
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX264 View Post
    Maybe it's already been said, but ... Anybody see the 2014 Talon 27.5 listed on the Giant website. Hmmmmm. Makes you wonder, huh?
    It is interesting, because they are already in stores. Giant has jumped on the 27.5 movement already, with bikes in stores. That said, they obviously are doing their homework on the higher end "performance" oriented bikes, with releases later on in August. But for the Talon and Tempt, my Giant dealer has them in stock already for the 2014 model year. I would guess that these other new 27.5 models are going to be in stores by fall, shortly after their announcement on the website as mentioned in the ad above.

cowbell
    Yep. Not only are the Talon and Temp 27.5 bikes already in stores, my LBS has sold a boat load of them. At this point, the question is not "will there be high end 27.5 bikes from Giant in 2014" but rather "Will we have other choices for wheel size on high end bikes from Giant in 2014?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Yep. Not only are the Talon and Temp 27.5 bikes already in stores, my LBS has sold a boat load of them. At this point, the question is not "will there be high end 27.5 bikes from Giant in 2014" but rather "Will we have other choices for wheel size on high end bikes from Giant in 2014?"
    I think the question is not 'Will we have high end bikes with 27.5 in 2014?' but rather "When will the high end bikes be in stores?" It is almost a definite that full suspension 27.5 bikes are coming from Giant, the real question is will there be a mid travel and long travel?

mtbr member
    You think price wise will be cheaper than 29er?

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    You think price wise will be cheaper than 29er?
    My thought would be no. They know that these are the hot item right now (27.5), and I don't see them being cheaper at this point. But I can see the thought process.....smaller (less) wheel and tire, therefore they should be, right? The good thing about Giant is that they are already such a good value compared to most competitors out there, and are typically spec'd pretty well compared to similar quality bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My guess based off my local giant dealer who is in the know is that there will be a 110-130 travel trail bike, and a 140-150mm travel all mountain bike in 650b. They sound pretty sure about that. I hope they can keep the chain stays around 17" or less, with a rockshox revelation or pike fork and 2x10 drivetrain, maybe even 1x11. I think that fox CTD is stupid. Too many choices while on the trail........."Should I be in trail or descend on this section?" Plus my brother's fox forks always seem to be leaking, while my Rebas I've had are bombproof, and I'm rougher on my fork than he is.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Thanks for the post ptkevin, and great info for sure. Not that this matters, much, but did they say if they were Trance and Reign variants? Like, using those names, or are the new from the ground up? Just curious on that aspect of it all. But great info, and right along the lines of what I was thinking they would be. Time to start saving.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Giant XTC / Advanced (Emil Lindgren one of the Pro-riders are using one at the moment)
    Giant Trance (Adam Craig)
    Giant Reign (Anyone?)

And maybee the Anthem will also have 650B option, but no more prototype Anthem bikes has been seen or?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't know what they will call them.....I would guess the trance and reign still since the entry hardtail talon kept it's name with the change in wheel size. The trance and reign have great reputations, so I think they would be best off to keep the name's in place. I hope they spec a good one in the 2,200-2,500 dollar range. No one would be able to compete with it dollar wise for the performance! I'm patiently waiting like many people!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I get the sense the only "new" offerings will be the Liv/Giant stuff. I talked to a shop employee the other day that is confident the Glory will have a 27.5 option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's not too early! Giant in 2014?-img_20130706_173635.jpg

One 650B XC Race HT

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does any one here have any idea when Giant is planning to launch the new models?

I assume that they are holding a release event for dealerships some time soon.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Here is the answer to your question, good sir. August, on the Giant website. I think it is safe to say based on the ad shown below.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclismo View Post
    Does any one here have any idea when Giant is planning to launch the new models?

I assume that they are holding a release event for dealerships some time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Update of sorts, I would say:

Note the "See it this August at giant-bicycles.com" at the bottom of the ad. I guess we can safely assume that this will be one of the new prototype bikes that Josh Carlson has been riding in the Enduro World Series......a 5" - 6" travel, 27.5, trail slaying machine. Sounds like the perfect bike for me! Now, to come up with the winning lottery numbers......Hmmmmm.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh. I'm an idiot, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dealer Presscamp is in late July (25-27th if they're doing it the same time as everyone else), so I assume we'll start hearing stuff about the full line then if it's not leaked earlier.

mtbr member
    OK this won't likely happen but would be cool if a new swingarm was offered for 650b to fit the Trance X, doesn't seem like it would throw things off very much on the rest of the bike..but they likely want to sell a whole new bike!

mtbr member

Found this XTC Composite 1 on the web. I've got one bought and paid for. Now just the wait....

mtbr member

Re: It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Talked to the manager at my LBS today. He is leaving Sunday for the Giant dealer days... Good things to come.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Talked to the manager at my LBS today. He is leaving Sunday for the Giant dealer days... Good things to come.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.
    Sweet. I will check in with my shop's manager this week and see if he is going to, as I would think he is. Looking forward to seeing these bad-boys! As I keep saying, I just need the cash flow to get one. It may be next spring for me, and I'll get through this season with my Anthem, which I do love. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Look at what someone posted over the 650b/27.5 forum - Giant 650b Trance Production Models? (Pics)

Good, green, Oregon.
    Wow nice find!!!! It sure looks like it! Even with bike boxes sitting behind them like they were just shipped in! Nice.....I'm certainly looking forward to finding out more about them, and if anyone is in that area at Park City.....more pictures please!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Wow nice find!!!! It sure looks like it! Even with bike boxes sitting behind them like they were just shipped in! Nice.....I'm certainly looking forward to finding out more about them, and if anyone is in that area at Park City.....more pictures please!
    Like you I am excited as well! There are a lot of new bike offerings from everyone and I cannot wait to see what Giant has to offer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hm, I just saw where someone posted a shot on FB out of the 2014 catalog of the Anthem X 27.5 (I think it was the carbon version), but then they quickly removed it. :\

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Hm, I just saw where someone posted a shot on FB out of the 2014 catalog of the Anthem X 27.5 (I think it was the carbon version), but then they quickly removed it. :\
    Really? Hmmmm, too bad no screen shots of it! Oh well, this info is going to be out in full force really soon. August on their website as per Giant, or even earlier at these press days they are gearing up for. Thanks for the info, and if you see it again, screen shot it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I thought this was a 27.5 Ax here?

SOC13: Giant Prototype Anthem, Trance 650B MTB?s & Adam Craig?s Disc Brake Cyclocross Bike

mtbr member
    This thing looks fast just sitting there...

Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130706_173635.jpg 
Views:	7000 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	813884

One 650B XC Race HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

27.5 is coming soon

There is absolutely no pics or spec info

But the models (27.5)

Anthem X advanced 1 and 2
    anthem x 3

Trance x 1
    Trance x 3

intrigue 1
    intrigue 2

I'm sure more will be coming (the carbon versions)

I wonder if the intrigue is that longer travel bike adam craig has been riding?
    Last edited by indigo22; 07-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is absolutely no pics or spec info.

But the models (27.5)

Anthem X advanced 1 and 2
    anthem x 3

Trance x 1
    Trance x 3

intrigue 1
    intrigue 2

I'm sure more will be coming (the carbon versions)

I wonder if the intrigue is that longer travel bike adam craig has been riding?
    Last edited by indigo22; 07-16-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast