Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    what a joke
    I have a 2011 Anthem X 29er with a 2012 frame under warranty. I have been thinking of upgrading to the Advanced 1 Carbon as I can get it for $3300 AUD. However my LBS suggested I wait till the new models come out as he is predicting some changes to the Anthem. He was not specific and said he had no insider info but just they have been making them for 3 years now and hew would expect a significant redesign.

Any thoughts?
    blah blah blah

Tactical Nightmare
    ozlongboarder, if it were me, I would probably wait. Well, I am waiting. I love my Anthem, but am thinking of something with a bit more slack and a bit more.....yes, the enduro/all-mountain/trail bike that everyone seems to be gravitating to. From the info that is out there, where actually in print or reading between the lines, I am thinking that something different is coming. Now, I certainly would think that after the Trance X29er this year, a new Anthem could be next, and would make sense too. But, so would some other variations too. Hard to say at this point, that is for sure!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I spoke with my local Giant dealer again last week about what they had told me a couple months ago, which was that there was a 650b Giant going to be announced this summer/fall. They are in the loop, and they have been spot on in previous things they have told me. Giant will be the first of the big 3 to announce a 650b. They even had a closeout 26" trance that I was considering buying, but they told me that the 650b was around the corner. They know I like the bigger wheels, as I have a racey 29er hardtail. That Adam Craig video could definitely be the first of the mystery marketing videos. I am waiting for this Giant bike to be put out before buying my "fun" trail bike.

Space Ghost
    I can't/won't buy an S-Works, so I need a Reign X29er. 150-160mm travel. Don't think it is out of the question. Maybe stock it with trickle down XX1.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Dear Mr Giant, please slacken the 26 trance x (carbon preferred) to 68deg with 140 forks (yes it is a trail bike not an xc bike), carbonize the Reign x to make it the enduro weapon (with float 34's and around 13kg would be fine thanks). For your good work we will leave our trusty Reign to rest in peace (you have served us well).
    Forget the stupid 650b stuff, you have your 29er clown bikes now, let's make the 26ers better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yarrahappinni View Post
    Dear Mr Giant, please slacken the 26 trance x (carbon preferred) to 68deg with 140 forks (yes it is a trail bike not an xc bike), carbonize the Reign x to make it the enduro weapon (with float 34's and around 13kg would be fine thanks). For your good work we will leave our trusty Reign to rest in peace (you have served us well).
    Forget the stupid 650b stuff, you have your 29er clown bikes now, let's make the 26ers better.
    Apologies, and 1x11 drivetrain

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I guess we are going to see one of the team riders on a 650B this year....

Tactical Nightmare
    I found this little gem from about a year ago:

Giant will not have any 650b bikes in 2013, but according to Andrew Juskaitis, Giant’s global product marketing manager, 2014 is another story.

“For Giant, 650b is, for the foreseeable future, an intermediate wheel size, filling in those gaps where we can improve the ride of a 26” wheel but can’t fit a 29er wheel,” says Juskaitis. “650b belongs in certain applications—most likely, longer-travel applications where 29er wheels can’t/won’t fit properly. One thing is sure, we still believe in the 29er wheel size where it can fit.”
    2014? A different story for Giant and 650b? Hmmmm, you add all this up and I think the sum is beginning to look like Giant will have a 650b in the 2014 lineup. The question is, what will it be? Reign? Or, something entirely new? Keep guessing!

Source for the story:
    Fox, RockShox, DT-Swiss, Schwalbe and Others Develop 650b gear | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

Tactical Nightmare
    So I'm sure you all saw the release of the Santa Cruz Bronson, their new 27.5 trail bike. Thoughts on whether this will further encourage the big G to make sure they enter the market with the right bike? This catagory is the hottest in MTB right now, and even companies that have denied getting into 27.5 in th past (Santa Cruz), are looking toward this catagory with pretty nice offerings. It's coming, whether you like it or not!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Giant will have 650B's in their 2014 lineup, so this summer you should see some.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Giant will have 650B's in their 2014 lineup, so this summer you should see some.
    Source? Details? I would love to know more, if you know it. Otherwise, I can say the same thing, and it doesn't mean it will happen. I just like the dirt/gossip/insider info! Thanks!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Reign 650b ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yarrahappinni View Post
    Trance X Advanced (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

Has the 140 fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Source? Details? I would love to know more, if you know it. Otherwise, I can say the same thing, and it doesn't mean it will happen. I just like the dirt/gossip/insider info! Thanks!
    It was in a article on bicycle retailer online, but you can google it and you can find articles on the 650b for 2014.

Tactical Nightmare

Yup, they're here!

Giant and 650b. Haters? Non-believers? Are you here? Good. Check this out:

Picture from this article as the source:

Giant Mountain And Cyclocross Prototypes Spotted - BikeRadar

With further info and details from here:

New Schedule, New Bikes, New Challenges for Adam Craig in 2013 | News | mountain-bike-action

So naysayers? Got anything to say now? Here is a quote from Andrew Juskaitis of Giant:

Giant’s senior product marketing manager Andrew Juskaitis was tight-lipped about the details of the prototypes on display. He would only disclose that the company has had them in the works for some time, and that Giant is wholeheartedly embracing 650B wheels.
    Bold by me, so you didn't miss it, just in case.

My only question is, where is the 650b Reign?
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

Tactical Nightmare
    Another interesting quote, in the MBA article, with the picture (I know, MBA......):

Will this end up being Adam Craig's go-to enduro bike for 2013? Giant was tight-lipped about the specifics of Craig's prototype 27-inch, 6-inch travel trailbike, but it's safe to say some version of this bike will make it to production sooner than later.
    And the picture:

Hmmm, 6" travel? Isn't the Trance a 5" bike? How the HA angle? Looks more slack than the TX, do you think?
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Looks like someone beat me to the punch, Giant's 650B bikes like I said.

First Look: Giant's 27.5" Prototype Bikes - Pinkbike

I"ll start taking apologies know, especially Giant Chachi. I know what I am talking about.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post

Looks like someone beat me to the punch, Giant's 650B bikes like I said.

First Look: Giant's 27.5" Prototype Bikes - Pinkbike

I"ll start taking apologies know, especially Giant Chachi. I know what I am talking about.
    You're saying that I should apologize to you? Really? In that case, please go back and re-read this thread that I started. I have been on your side the entire time.....I have believed that Giant would have a 650b out for 2014.....hence the reason for my OP and this thread. Sure, I called you out on your comment that you were certain of a Giant 650b, just because I like sources and simply stating that they will have one, typicallly isn't enought for me. I just wanted to know where you heard it, so I could put some credibility to it. But again danmtchl, I have been thinking just the same as you. Sorry, no apology will be given. Just a thanks for your posts!

PS - I have even + repped you too! Come on bro!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    You're saying that I should apologize to you? Really? In that case, please go back and re-read this thread that I started. I have been on your side the entire time.....I have believed that Giant would have a 650b out for 2014.....hence the reason for my OP and this thread. Sure, I called you out on your comment that you were certain of a Giant 650b, just because I like sources and simply stating that they will have one, typicallly isn't enought for me. I just wanted to know where you heard it, so I could put some credibility to it. But again danmtchl, I have been thinking just the same as you. Sorry, no apology will be given. Just a thanks for your posts!

PS - I have even + repped you too! Come on bro!
    I did not mean it in a seriously, more in a joking matter. You gave me a hard time but was I knew Giant was coming out with them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tactical Nightmare
    Hey, no worries man! It's the interwebs.....I don't take much seriously at all. Heck, in life I don't either! Anyways, its good to be right, and now we will have a Giant 650b out in the near future. I will say, I am interesting in this bike that Adam is riding, and his mention of how he'll ride his Reign for most of the enduro season.....is that a tell tale sign that while they have shown this bike, that there could be others still to be introduced? I guess we have a better idea.....today possibly, from Sea Otter! Anyways, thanks danmtchl!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What happens when you run out of ideas? I know lets take an existing idea and claim it as new again.... lets build 650b bikes. Sure they will work well, I've ridden a converted Reign, seen a Trance done also but its not really innovative is it?

Yes I will be buying one when its time to renew my Trance & Reign in the future (I won't have a choice) and will be happy. What I see is nice but Giant I want you to inspire me to buy a new bike and at this early stage I'm not feeling the love. Or maybe I should wait a bit longer to see the full story?

Tactical Nightmare
    yarrahappinni, I don't think we have seen the end of Giant's innovation with 650b......wait, excuse me, Giant is using 27.5, not 650b. So, I would guess that we will see other version of a 27.5 bike from Giant. At this point, they have shown what looks like an Anthem X, an Anthem Women's and a Trance with the 27.5 wheel size. But this thread is evident that there is a large desire for a 27.5 Reign, as the ultimate trail/enduro machine. I think these releases at this point are just the beginning. Giant has also commented that they don't see supporting three wheel sizes and that one will have to go. Which will it be? I certainly would guess a 26" elimination, but who knows.

I guess it just comes down to what is out there when you are ready to buy, or how long you can wait. The problem is, there is always something newer and better to get you excited and wanting to buy!
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't doubt you're right Giant Chachi, I'm not asking for much other than the 2014 Reign to pedal like a Anthem and bomb like a Glory.

I've held onto my 2011 Trance Advanced as I haven't seen a better XC/Trail bike come out of Giant land, but if the 2014 range offers a performance/ride improvement I will part with my money. As for my 2013 Reign I think some new 2014 bling is all it will need as out of the box it is a pretty good trail/AM bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Dont forget the picture of XC rider Emils 650B XTC, even if it not showing the hole bike in the pic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    speculating here, announced if US summer, available to public when?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast