Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Your Best Friend
    Nice way to loosely tie your spam into our thread. I appreciate what you are doing and think it is a great thing, but advertise it correctly.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    So, does that mean you are coming? ;-)

Seriously, though, more speculation will be squashed by actually RIDING all of these bikes, and this is (i believe) the first consumer opportunity to do so. We have very, very DEEP roots with Giant here locally, if you didn't know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think he advertised it pretty darn well. Ease up a little bit there Silentfoe. Looks like fun and a great price for all that you get and the $ goes to trails. So what is the problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    Judging from that picture the frame of the Anthem was revised...I don't remember that small dip on top tupe just before meeting with the seat tube.
    My guess is that it's not a revised Anthem but instead the 275 version

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Anthem 27.5

Anthem 27.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's not too early! Giant in 2014?-screen-shot-2013-07-25-10.06.29-pm.png  

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?-screen-shot-2013-07-25-10.06.11-pm.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I think he advertised it pretty darn well. Ease up a little bit there Silentfoe. Looks like fun and a great price for all that you get and the $ goes to trails. So what is the problem?
    Bingo, he advertised it = Spam. This is a thread about 2014 Giants. Not about a (really cool) festival. The problem is, it is in the wrong place. How would you feel if Motobecane hopped on this thread and said something along the lines of how much better their bikes were and only cost $? I like what he is doing, but he should have just provided a link. I am sorry for further derailling this thread.

I agree with GT505 that that bike is not an Anthem. As I said previously, besides components (for the worse) and the colors (for the better), the Anthems are unchanged for 2014.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    To be fair, this entire forum is spam to sell bikes!
    But I digress.
    Yes, just a link would have been sufficient, but I already had the text copied, so I simply pasted it.
    So now it's gonna stay.

Hi, Chan!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the all info and pics, guys/gals...keep'um comming!

For those that have seen the catalog, is the AnyRoad on the menu for 2014?

AnyRoad pics: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...JoObjAKog4HoDg

Thanks, again!
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - MIA
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow, silent one you are awfully rigid. Do you ever have fun? Or do you just pass time being grumpy?

Looks like dude was trying to share an opportunity to ride the bikes you and others were merely talking about.

So I must repeat myself; ease up a bit.

Pinch it off and breathe.

You say he was spamming "our" thread. I get value out of what he posted so who are you to say it does not belong here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I agree with GT505 that that bike is not an Anthem. As I said previously, besides components (for the worse) and the colors (for the better), the Anthems are unchanged for 2014.
    Silent in your opinion(I value it, from the little I've seen you know what you are talking about) would you buy a 2013 or wait for a 2014 (Anthem X29er 1) ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    Silent in your opinion(I value it, from the little I've seen you know what you are talking about) would you buy a 2013 or wait for a 2014 (Anthem X29er 1) ?
    You already quoted his answer to your own question. 2013

Good, green, Oregon.
    Good pictures above and thanks for them. I just am having a hard time understanding why they would have the new frame for the Anthem 27.5 that addresses some of the issues of the aluminum Anthem 29er, but leave the 29er frame the same. That one I just don't get.

By the way, I have to agree with Silentfoe. The thread was derailed because of the advert of the event, and it was an advert, period. Sure, new Giants are there to ride, but I didn't see this thread as the place for the solicitation. But let's move on, shall we. There are some killer Giant rides coming out this year for sure, and we are all stoked to see them. Back to the topic at hand......Giant in 2014.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Just got some killer deets on the 2014 Trance lineup. This is not all of the models but a few I got info for over the phone. Please excuse the lack of consistency in the descriptions as I was jotting this all down by hand:

Trance advanced 275 1
    XT kit
    CTD Shock
    CTD Fork 32 Talas 140
    $5300

142 rear ends

all come with new Internal cable routed dropper
    Wow, I hope your prices are wrong! Are you USA based?

I bought a 2012 Trance Advanced 1 and the RRP at the time was $3999 AUD. It had Carbon front, alloy rear triangle, Fox Performance FIT forks, Fox RP23 rear shock and full XT group set including XT UST Wheels.

Now, the 2014 equivalent bike is $5300! What am I getting for the extra $1300? The only up spec I can see is the dropper post which my 2012 bike did not come with and the 2014 model has TALAS up front which mine doesn't. Everything else on the 2014 bike is on par with the 2012 bike except I prefer the XT UST wheels that mine (2012) had. I have mates with 2013 Giants and the Giant wheelsets really are nothing to write home about. Lots of freehub issues. Not having to worry about running silly rim strips on the XT wheels saves a lot of hassles too.

While I LOVE my 2012 Trance Advanced there is no way I would be inclined to upgrade at the 2014 prices.
    I know a lot of this is speculation(?) at this point and that different markets (AUS/USA) have different pricing but a $1300 increase is way off the pricing mark for what the bike is if Giant wants to maintain its great value reputation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anno88 View Post
    Wow, I hope your prices are wrong! Are you USA based?

I bought a 2012 Trance Advanced 1 and the RRP at the time was $3999 AUD. It had Carbon front, alloy rear triangle, Fox Performance FIT forks, Fox RP23 rear shock and full XT group set including XT UST Wheels.

Now, the 2014 equivalent bike is $5300! What am I getting for the extra $1300? The only up spec I can see is the dropper post which my 2012 bike did not come with and the 2014 model has TALAS up front which mine doesn't. Everything else on the 2014 bike is on par with the 2012 bike except I prefer the XT UST wheels that mine (2012) had. I have mates with 2013 Giants and the Giant wheelsets really are nothing to write home about. Lots of freehub issues. Not having to worry about running silly rim strips on the XT wheels saves a lot of hassles too.

While I LOVE my 2012 Trance Advanced there is no way I would be inclined to upgrade at the 2014 prices.
    I know a lot of this is speculation(?) at this point and that different markets (AUS/USA) have different pricing but a $1300 increase is way off the pricing mark for what the bike is if Giant wants to maintain its great value reputation.
    I would be guessing the price will be lower in Aust as all Giant prices have been lower in Aust for similar specced models over the last few years. One of the only things Aust seems to get cheaper than the US

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeh Australasian Giant prices have always been pretty sharp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Good pictures above and thanks for them. I just am having a hard time understanding why they would have the new frame for the Anthem 27.5 that addresses some of the issues of the aluminum Anthem 29er, but leave the 29er frame the same. That one I just don't get.

Because there's nothing wrong with it.It just works[ long cs and all] and keeps on winning accolades.Besides that Giant are notorious for long product cycles.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Because there's nothing wrong with it.It just works[ long cs and all] and keeps on winning accolades.Besides that Giant are notorious for long product cycles.
    You've seen this thread, right?

Anthem X cracked frames.

By all means, that is probably a small sampling of the overall ownership of Anthems, but it seems like a slight change would be warranted for sure, and looks to be something that they addressed on the 27.5 and carbon versions with the more stout top tube/seat tube junction. Now, I own one myself (see signature), and I haven't had any issues at all and love my AX29, so they certainly aren't all cracking. I just thought that they may tweak it a bit. No issue though, it is a great bike as you mentioned, and I would agree.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Looks like Carl Decker just one a "pre-season" cyclocross race on the new Anthem 27.5. He started off on the new/prototype TCX Advanced Disc bike, then switched to the Anthem 27.5 and took the win.

(the Downieville Classic All-Mountain race is coming up next weekend, that Decker has won two years in a row on a Anthem 29er, so will be interesting to see if he races the 27.5 and how he does there)

Carl Decker Climbs and Descends to Win Raleigh?s Midsummer Night?s Cyclocross Race ? Brief Report, Photos, Results | Cyclocross Magazine ? Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You've seen this thread, right?

Anthem X cracked frames.

By all means, that is probably a small sampling of the overall ownership of Anthems, but it seems like a slight change would be warranted for sure, and looks to be something that they addressed on the 27.5 and carbon versions with the more stout top tube/seat tube junction. Now, I own one myself (see signature), and I haven't had any issues at all and love my AX29, so they certainly aren't all cracking. I just thought that they may tweak it a bit. No issue though, it is a great bike as you mentioned, and I would agree.
    A few people who want a bit of limelight posting pics of frames covered by full replacement warranty no questions asked. Says more of them than the frame. Most of the thread is probably from when they had a production problem on the first models . Since then it may not be problem or they would have addressed it. They must consider it the normal market average failures on some new frames with mfg stress raisers. They may have already increased d the tube butt again or diameter slightly ? May be subtle changes that you can't see in a interweb spy shot.

I'm no expert but why can I beat the hell out of my 2011 Ax 29er with a 120mm fork and it's still going fine yet a few have just walked out the door and their frame has cracked.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando47 View Post
    I didn't even know MBA was still around, let alone had a website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What about those other wheel sizes?

Giant feels so strongly about the benefits of the 27.5-inch wheel that they forsee it eventually being the only wheelsize they offer. In fact, Giant already has a plan to slowly phase-out other wheel sizes, though the timetable for when this will happen is certainly not set in stone. This is already being realized to some extent with scaling back their 29-inch offering in their 2014 model line. Does this mean that we will see Giant develop longer-travel, 27.5-options all the way up to a new Glory 27.5 downhill bike? It sure looks that way.
    This seems like a huge thing to say.

I don't understand the head angle of the 275 Anthem. The 26" and 29" have a 71 deg head angle, so why is the 275 using a 69.5 deg ha? I love steep head angles personally as a singletrack xc rider. Isn't that the purpose for the Anthem? Interested to see how it handles. I will definitely be looking out for demo's of the 275 Anthem that's for sure.

Ok, two big links showcasing the 275 Giant's...now can we see the 29" bikes? Curiously are there any 26" bikes? Let's see all the bikes now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Based on how Giant are extolling the virtues of 27.5 so hard out and are even suggesting 29 is gone in the next few years too because 27.5 apparently does it all!
    I'd love to see a HT only test of the XTC composite 27.5s with the alloy wheels against the XTC composite 29 inch with the carbon wheels?? Personally I think wheel weight is a major difference in a 29 being nimble vs feeling like a tank so lets put the middle level carbon Giant 27.5 against the top level carbon 29 and see if the ride experience is still good enough on the 27.5 to beat the 29?
    Just seems to me, all the preliminary tests done on Giant 27.5's dual suspension bikes are saying they are better overall but on an aggressive HT is that still going to happen??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    where did they suggest 29er is on the way out? I missed that

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    From MBA:
    "Giant feels so strongly about the benefits of the 27.5-inch wheel that they forsee it eventually being the only wheelsize they offer. In fact, Giant already has a plan to slowly phase-out other wheel sizes, though the timetable for when this will happen is certainly not set in stone. This is already being realized to some extent with scaling back their 29-inch offering in their 2014 model line"
    from bikemag.com:
    "While Juskaitis notes that Giant will continue to offer 29ers in 2014, he maintains that 27.5 is the future for the company. “We have not killed 29 in 2014, but it is minimized,” explains Juskaitis. “We are not going to turn off the tap entirely this year, but we do have plans to phase it out over time.”

I reckon most shops wouldn't be able to carry the full range of each type in 2 sizes anyway so would have to choose based on customer demographic. Will see that very soon over here in NZ as we go into our 2014 bike models summer launches next month.
    So ouch, be really interesting to see what Specialized does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    wow, that is a shock

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Giant México - El lanzamiento a nivel mundial será el 10 de agosto en Whistler, Canadá. Aquí en México lo hacemos oficial justo después de esa fecha. Estén pendientes porque como bien saben, GIANT trae bastantes novedades...Saludos !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Madiba View Post
    Giant México - El lanzamiento a nivel mundial será el 10 de agosto en Whistler, Canadá. Aquí en México lo hacemos oficial justo después de esa fecha. Estén pendientes porque como bien saben, GIANT trae bastantes novedades...Saludos !!
    I no peeki pani.

Very interesting how many eggs they are putting in the 27.5 basket. Sounds to me like their current 29ers will run out the clock on the existing models and instead of getting a redesign they might be axed. Last year at this time they were heavily extolling the virtues of 29 with the Trance 29 being the 'ultimate trail bike'.

Love my Anthem 29 but curious to try one of these things out myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

The only 2014 Giant Reign will be the Reign SX

The only 2014 Giant Reign will be the Reign SX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's not too early! Giant in 2014?-999071_10151551165587828_567095792_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd love to see a HT only test of the XTC composite 27.5s with the alloy wheels against the XTC composite 29 inch with the carbon wheels?? Personally I think wheel weight is a major difference in a 29 being nimble vs feeling like a tank so lets put the middle level carbon Giant 27.5 against the top level carbon 29 and see if the ride experience is still good enough on the 27.5 to beat the 29?
    Just seems to me, all the preliminary tests done on Giant 27.5's dual suspension bikes are saying they are better overall but on an aggressive HT is that still going to happen??
    Logic doesn't make sense. It's an apple to oranges comparison so to speak. Honest comparison is bikes speced the exact same way...that means all components including rim type. Why would you handicap the 27.5 bike with a heavier wheel set just to make the 29'er look better? Think about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I hope the Trance 29er lives on. Such a great bike would be a shame if it only got a few years then was canned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Given that a 29er HT is an incredibly popular bike, is the suggestion that the XTC (all variants considered) wasn't/isn't a good seller??

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I wouldn't read too much into such comments. Giant is motivated to push 650B because they can sell some new bikes especially to 26" riders, it's easier for them to make bikes that fit smaller riders (especially Asia), it would cut down their manufacturing lines, it's easier to design longer travel bikes (especially considering Maestro).

They have a bunch of reasons to try push one size fits all and not to bother with niche (to them) wheel sizes... until they want to sell different wheel size, or something else.

Company like this sells only what makes monetarily sense on big scale, not what every unique mountain biker actually needs or wants.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Definitely going to look for a demo of these 275 bikes. I do respect Giant's admission that they have been testing the 27.5" wheel for two years. That is fair, but I don't like the idea of doing away with 29'ers and replacing them with slack angle 27.5 bikes. I just jumped into 29'er and love it. A friend of mine spoke about how some time around the early to mid 2000's (iirc)...he rode his 26" bike back to back with his friends 29'er and time and time again he was getting faster lap times on the 29'er. If you replace his 26" bike with a 27.5, something tells me the 29'er will still be faster. It's not only faster, it's more fun for many people.

So is Giant saying that their 27.5 bikes are faster than both the 26" and 29'ers? That is interesting.

Eliminating BOTH 26" and 29'er seems like simplifying things for the manufacturer to save cost. There will be a whole lot of 29'er riders who won't want to go back down to a smaller wheel, even if they test ride and compare. Likewise, 26" riders are already un-interested in the 27.5 bc of how minimal the change is. Perhaps Giant has really tweaked their 27.5 bikes so that they really perform above and beyond just the wheel size difference.

Don't get me wrong, I like change and progression, but doesn't it seem weird that the bike industry was doing well with 26" and 29'ers and now some manufacturers are saying the new wheel size is potentially going to eliminate both of those? That seems strange. I actually liked the idea of 3 wheel sizes because it gives people so many options. Going back to one wheel size seems wrong. Well, I will definitely demo one of these bikes for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    also depends why you ride bikes, i ride for recreational with occasional racing. as such, im still in love with my two 26ers. no need as such to change wheelsize.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    In the article ZeroSkillet linked above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Anyone have info on the aluminum Anthem 27.5s? Components, pics, prices?

Owner Epic Biking
    I think the only way to really know if the 27.5 is as awesome as Giant says it is, is to go and ride it. I got a chance to ride the Trance 27.5 SX and two Anthem 27.5 bikes. In the short time I had with the bikes (two days of riding) I couldn't tell that I had lost anything that the 29er gave me, but the Anthem Adv 27.5 felt a LOT lighter than my Anthem Adv 29er. I have an couple demo Anthem Adv 27.5 bike on order. Can't wait to ride them on the trails I know and love so that I will be able to make a better judgement between the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bike Mag
    News: Giant Goes Big with 27.5

Giant Debuts Trance 27.5 Models

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmouse View Post
    I hope the Trance 29er lives on. Such a great bike would be a shame if it only got a few years then was canned.

+1. I love mine too.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post

Eliminating BOTH 26" and 29'er seems like simplifying things for the manufacturer to save cost. There will be a whole lot of 29'er riders who won't want to go back down to a smaller wheel, even if they test ride and compare. Likewise, 26" riders are already un-interested in the 27.5 bc of how minimal the change is. Perhaps Giant has really tweaked their 27.5 bikes so that they really perform above and beyond just the wheel size difference.

I have a sneeky suspicion Giant can't develop 29er in any greater travel than 120mm because of the limitations of the Maestro and chain stay length. 29er geometry is still in a state of flux and shorter chain stays allowed by single ring drive trains means cs length is also trending down, especially with single pivot suspension designs.They won't want to have to redesign the system like Marin had to for 29ers.Hence putting all their eggs in the 27.5 basket and lots of spin . I doubt they will drop what they have developed so far in 29er. It works and sells so well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Interesting snip of info here on thumbnail 4. they are using a shimmed Reign shock so potential to reduce the shim to may be squeeze in more travel. Definitely makes it easier to up grade shocks than the odd ball Tx 26 and 29er shock size.

Giant 2014 Mountain Bikes ? First Look - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Logic doesn't make sense. It's an apple to oranges comparison so to speak. Honest comparison is bikes speced the exact same way...that means all components including rim type. Why would you handicap the 27.5 bike with a heavier wheel set just to make the 29'er look better? Think about it.
    Because the 27.5 won't really have the heavier wheelset as its a smaller wheel and what I'm suggesting is taking the wheel weight part out of the comparison and then see which bike has the better chassis/dynamics? I'm not convinced that 27 inch is better overall although all indications (quick bike tests in all the mags) so far suggest that it is and think a lot of it is the wheel weight. I.e would a mid level 27.5 XTC still be better in their eyes than an upscale version of a 29XTC which is just wheels and componentry variables, still similar geometries hopefully?
    Looking at the Anthem this year the new one has a longer wheelbase than the 29 inch one apparently as the head angle is slacker, so if the wheel weights were the same which should take out the acceleration disadvantage of the 29 would the 29 then handle quicker having the shorter wheelbase, roll over better having the bigger wheels and hit corners better having the BB below the axle height?
    So do you have to spend more money on a 29 to match a 27.5's feel/performance? As MTbeagle said above he thought the two sizes felt the same, just lighter in 27.5, is it just the wheel weights for similarly specd bikes really making the difference??
    That's what I'm trying to ascertain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    And/or look at it this way possibly. You mate goes and buys the latest 27.5 whatever HT with a similar wheelbase and componentry to your 29 and it looks pretty good, it's fast wherever and does a few things your 29 doesn't do possibly acceleration/agility wise.
    Do you go out and buy one too, or put a carbon wheelset with thruaxles instead on your 29 and then outperform him now?
    Until he does that too........ ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post

Sounds to me like their current 29ers will run out the clock on the existing models and instead of getting a redesign they might be axed. Last year at this time they were heavily extolling the virtues of 29 with the Trance 29 being the 'ultimate trail bike'.
    Yeah, now they promote 275 using the same marketing BS as they have with 29 before. Having said that I was set to buy 29er FS in medium term (read: when I save up) as I'm getting older and just want smoother and more comfortable ride. If they axe 29ers before I manage to buy one, I'll probably just stick to my old 26er HT. I'm just not interested in some half-way benefits of "best of both worlds". Best of both worlds means also worst of both worlds, at the same time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snala View Post
    Because the 27.5 won't really have the heavier wheelset as its a smaller wheel and what I'm suggesting is taking the wheel weight part out of the comparison and then see which bike has the better chassis/dynamics? I'm not convinced that 27 inch is better overall although all indications (quick bike tests in all the mags) so far suggest that it is and think a lot of it is the wheel weight. I.e would a mid level 27.5 XTC still be better in their eyes than an upscale version of a 29XTC which is just wheels and componentry variables, still similar geometries hopefully?
    Looking at the Anthem this year the new one has a longer wheelbase than the 29 inch one apparently as the head angle is slacker, so if the wheel weights were the same which should take out the acceleration disadvantage of the 29 would the 29 then handle quicker having the shorter wheelbase, roll over better having the bigger wheels and hit corners better having the BB below the axle height?
    So do you have to spend more money on a 29 to match a 27.5's feel/performance? As MTbeagle said above he thought the two sizes felt the same, just lighter in 27.5, is it just the wheel weights for similarly specd bikes really making the difference??
    That's what I'm trying to ascertain?
    Very hard to determine unless you spend a bit of time on both.
    I've run Ra Ra on crest/ hope wheels in both 650B and 29er on my steel Soma B side.
    If your after rollover for descending speed and a bit of rear end cush and better cornering traction on skimpy tires then go for the 29er. If your a good bike handler and want point and shoot acceleration which is important on many lower cat xc race courses with many little sharp climbs and flat turns then go for the 650B.
    I'm getting low on leg power these days and have always been a cardio spin climber racer rather than a power athlete and so always struggle with the poor acceleration of 29ers. It is noticeable even with a light wheelset. As long as the 650b is long enough in the wheelbase and slack enough the handling difference and stability is negated a lot. I welcome the choice of a longer slacker 650b race bike with good acceleration. I'd definately run a longer fork on the 650b though. faster acceleration also means your getting less rollover. There's no free lunch.
    As far as geometry and wheelbase goes my Ax 29er with 120 fork and a 90mm stem is about 69.3 head angle and 1145 wheelbase it feels pretty similar handling to 650B with 66.5 head angle, 80mm stem and similar wheelbase. My Satori 29er at 68 degrees and 70mm stem and 1175 m wheelbase is much more a carving machine but is not to dissimilar to 650B at 65.7 deg and 1160 mm WB. With a 80mm stem it feels like a truck. So there's plenty of variables. In all cases the 29ers have more cornering traction carrying less rubber, smooth out fast descents as well or better with less travel but suffer with poor cush on seated g outs and dropouts with less travel. So long low slack 650B with more travel is the way to equal or better a 29er on the trail. I welcome 66 deg 650B bike with 1" longer wheelbase than I'm currently running.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cheers for that gvs_nz, some good numbers there. I haven't had the chance to ride both comparably so awesome reply.
    So in summary reading between the lines apart from the given acceleration disadvantage saying "So long low slack 650B with more travel is the way to equal or better a 29er on the trail." means you agree that the similar built bikes are much of a muchness and its up to rider preference more than 27.5 in the same bike being a magic silver bullet?

Good, green, Oregon.
    Pinkbike's take and announcement:
    650B For Giant's 2014 Elite-Level Mountain Bikes - Pinkbike

Just watch the sometimes annoying and biased opinions of what I refer to as "pinkbike kids" in replies below the article.
    Last edited by Giant Chachi; 07-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow. Pinkbike sure has a lot of info, theirs and Giant's. Again, it looks skewed towards making 650B seem the best. Where there are negatives for 29'ers, they make it seem like they are more than the difference in wheel size, where there are benefits to a larger wheel size, they make it seem like 650B is so close to 29'er as to be practically the same, or "close enough". It's a lot of marketing and sales, but they must have done some testing. Unless Giant's goal was to eliminate 3 wheel sizes and end up with one, then why would they champion a wheel size so ferociously after only "testing" and not after they have been selling the bikes? Perhaps part of their strategy has been somehow watching sales numbers for other manufacturers.

Interestingly, Giant has had Schwalbe put 27.5 on their tires. Haven't Schwalbe tires had 650B up til now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Those interested in a 27.5 Anthem have these choices:

2014 Anthem Pricing
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team: $8,000
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 1: $4,600
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 2: $3,400
    Anthem 27.5 3: $2,100

Doesn't look like they want to compete much with their own 29'er when there is only one 27.5 Anthem model available below $3400. Why call the $2100 model a 3 when its not Advanced and there are no Aluminum 1 or 2's?

Looks like this was Giant's 27.5 release party. People were not able to ride any other wheel size models to, say, compare. Well, since Giant is still making other models in other wheel sizes, I guess it'll be interesting to compare the models with different wheel sizes.

Hey MTBR, Pinkbike, Flow, MBA, Bike and others....How about a comparison of the Anthem X and Trance X 27.5 and 29'ers? Throw in any previous year 26" models for greater perspective? These test comparisons would be interesting and worth while.

One thing is for sure, I suspect a lot of the pluses and minuses of each wheel size compared to the other is dependent on the terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here are some pics of the 2014 Anthem 27.5 (Decker's bike)

Pro Bike Gallery: Carl Decker's Giant Anthem - VeloNews.com

Good enough for a CX win...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Those interested in a 27.5 Anthem have these choices:

2014 Anthem Pricing
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team: $8,000
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 1: $4,600
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 2: $3,400
    Anthem 27.5 3: $2,100

Doesn't look like they want to compete much with their own 29'er when there is only one 27.5 Anthem model available below $3400. Why call the $2100 model a 3 when its not Advanced and there are no Aluminum 1 or 2's?
    Details of the Anthem 27.5 1 and 2 here actually:

Fresh Product: Giant Launches 27.5 XtC, Anthem, and Trance | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snala View Post
    Cheers for that gvs_nz, some good numbers there. I haven't had the chance to ride both comparably so awesome reply.
    So in summary reading between the lines apart from the given acceleration disadvantage saying "So long low slack 650B with more travel is the way to equal or better a 29er on the trail." means you agree that the similar built bikes are much of a muchness and its up to rider preference more than 27.5 in the same bike being a magic silver bullet?
    Just depends what your after. 29er better cornering traction and the best downhill performance with the least travel. 650b can feel similar stabilty depending on how slack you go and with enouigh suspension travel similar on the down hills. 650B allways feels like you can sanp the front whhel round quicker,a bit snappier in handling and acceleration.

mtbr member
    Better cornering? According to whom? My nickel set up as 27.5 slayed the anthem 29er I rode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by pixelmix View Post
    Curious if the 1 and 2 Aluxx versions of the Anthem will be available stateside...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    maybe its been said already, but did people notice the grip shifter on the
    Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

so i saw a pic of a trance 2 standard aluminum? i thought they were doing a 1 and 3

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Does anybody have pics of the new Trance X 29er color schemes? I briefly saw the catalog at my LBS but would like to see some bigger pictures.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here's a screen shot of the Trance X1 from a vid I took this morning:

Brief review and comparison to my '12 Anthem X1 29er is here:
    Giant 650b Trance Production Models? (Pics)

The silver is growing on me but I'm waiting on the matte black. Not going to even bother looking at that ass ugly brown of the ALU SX

There are a couple vids of it in action, if you're bored and like watching me eat it in a sandy corner and yell to not get run over :P

And here's a phone picture from the shop after the ride in case it's a better quality:
    Last edited by probiscus; 07-29-2013 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, did you snap any of the 29er bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I didn't, sorry

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree, the gold, copper or whatever is not too good looking, maybe better in person

Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Here's a screen shot of the Trance X1 from a vid I took this morning:

Brief review is here:
    Giant 650b Trance Production Models? (Pics)

The silver is growing on me but I'm waiting on the matte black. Not going to even bother looking at that ass ugly brown of the ALU SX

There are a couple vids of it in action, if you're bored and like watching me eat it in a sandy corner and yell to not get run over :P

And here's a phone picture from the shop after the ride in case it's a better quality:

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like the XTC composite model isn't coming in 27.5 2014? So have to either buy the cheapest aluminium model, or the most expensive Advanced Composite carbon frame models. Nothing in the middle?
    Guessing the 29 will still come out as a Composite 1 and 2 and Advanced Composite 1 and 2 then to fill the price gap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Atleast you guys in the USA or Australia get Giant Demo days. Just found out that Giant Japan will do the product launch in early Sept but only for dealers/shop staff to attend. No event for the normal everyday person to try out planned at all!
    So much for trying out a new Trance in 27.5 and comparing against my Anthem X29.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Will it be possible to buy framesets?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    In the USA they have frame sets in the dealer catalog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Interesting. I wonder how much a Trance 27.5 frameset would cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From what I saw in the catalog at the LBS

Trance 27.5 aluminum - $1600
    Trance 27.5 sx carbon - $3200

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looking at the PinkBike article again and I was thinking about these charts and diagrams, they seem like part of an arguement or a way to explain what is happening. If 27.5 is really the obvious best wheel choice, would it really be necessary to be doing all of this convincing and explaining? Bottom line will come down to the riding and comparitive testing by online magazines etc and people.

Also, I really don't like the idea that one of the big affects of the acceptance of the newer mtb wheel size of 27.5 could be the eventual elimination of the other wheel sizes like 26 and 29. This almost seems like a disruptive invasion, a bullying of sorts. No matter what the charts and diagrams say, many people will always prefer 26 or 29 over 27.5 for specific reasons. Will the marketplace of MTB be ruled by the "average" desire of the MTB customers? Will 26" and 29'er lovers be left in the dark? That would be disappointing. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on the 27.5 wheel size, I was interested in it before I got my 29'er and I still want to try one, I just don't like the idea of eliminating other wheel sizes. I love the idea of more choice, not less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    From what I saw in the catalog at the LBS

Trance 27.5 aluminum - $1600
    Trance 27.5 sx carbon - $3200
    Not bad. Its cheaper than the SC Solo. I guess ill be getting one of these instead. Any word on when they will be available?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From what I was told, they have a week by week delivery of the different models.

So 1 week it will be all aluminum trance 3, next week aluminum trance 1, etc etc...
    I was told the best way was to keep checking back as they don't know which models are coming on which week.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Looking at the PinkBike article again and I was thinking about these charts and diagrams, they seem like part of an arguement or a way to explain what is happening. If 27.5 is really the obvious best wheel choice, would it really be necessary to be doing all of this convincing and explaining? Bottom line will come down to the riding and comparitive testing by online magazines etc and people.

Also, I really don't like the idea that one of the big affects of the acceptance of the newer mtb wheel size of 27.5 could be the eventual elimination of the other wheel sizes like 26 and 29. This almost seems like a disruptive invasion, a bullying of sorts. No matter what the charts and diagrams say, many people will always prefer 26 or 29 over 27.5 for specific reasons. Will the marketplace of MTB be ruled by the "average" desire of the MTB customers? Will 26" and 29'er lovers be left in the dark? That would be disappointing. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on the 27.5 wheel size, I was interested in it before I got my 29'er and I still want to try one, I just don't like the idea of eliminating other wheel sizes. I love the idea of more choice, not less.
    In my opinion, the charts and explanation is for the haters. They have to explain their methodology with this change, and pinkbike is the perfect example of why. Look at the brutal comments below the article. The pinkbike kids will only ever like 26", period. Most don't even know why, they just do it because the next guy does it. They are fan-boys, in a sense. What will really be interesting is if/when this 27.5/650b gets into the DH world, and it will eventually. Imagine the average pinkbike fan-child's reaction to a DH star like Gee Atherton or Aaron Gwin or Danny Hart, or any of the other mega-stars begin riding a 27.5 after all their hate. It will be an epic rip in the space-time continuum and they won't know how to handle it. For example, they hate 29ers with a passion, and their minds were blown when Gwin won an early DH on a 29er. It will happen too, a stud DHer will ride a 27.5 at some point, and may do well on one too.

As for the charts and graphs, I get it that it is trying to sell a product. But I also like that they (Giant) have stated that they have been working and researching the 27.5 wheel since 2011. Giant is certainly big enough to put a lot of R&D dollars into this. Plus, being that they manufacture a number of frames for other bike companies, they know where the market is going before just about anyone else. I appreciated the charts and graphs as I am a science guy. I like that stuff, marketing or not.

As far as people stating that they will not buy a Giant now because they have alienated the 26" and 29", that is your choice completely. Sure, I bet Giant would love to have you as a customer, but at the same time, again it is your choice. Go buy someting else, no one cares but you in the end. As long as you like what you are riding, that is all that matters. There will still be plenty of people that like the Giant brand and the 27.5 wheel size. I think the 27.5 is around to stay for the long haul, not just a trend or fad as some say it is.

mtbr member
    Does this mean my 2011 Giant Anthem X29 is obsolete and not so cool anymore?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    29'ers were never cool.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes.

Am I right in thinking that Giant is updating their website with the new bikes on August 1?

mtbr member
    Not this year. Marketing has moved on and so should you. Buy a 27.5, in fact, buy 2 of them to make up for not buying the 2012 Anthem.

mtbr member
    Just saw this YouTube video on Giant's channel..

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not at all. I would be concerned about parts support and availability, however.

From all I've read I've been wondering why they are even bothering to produce any 29ers for 2014 if only to use sales data to support their decision to go all in with 27.5.

I've had the Anthem 29 on my shortlist of full suspension bikes, but if they really don't see a future for the platform in their lineup my concern is on parts and warranty issues.

Looking forward to this Sunday's demo day. Maybe 27.5 is for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    Not at all. I would be concerned about parts support and availability, however.

From all I've read I've been wondering why they are even bothering to produce any 29ers for 2014 if only to use sales data to support their decision to go all in with 27.5.

I've had the Anthem 29 on my shortlist of full suspension bikes, but if they really don't see a future for the platform in their lineup my concern is on parts and warranty issues.

Looking forward to this Sunday's demo day. Maybe 27.5 is for me.
    Thinking the same thing.

If I manage to crack my Anthem 29, does that mean I'll get the 650B instead which means I'll have to buy new fork and wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    Definitely a valid question to ask. I'm wondering the same thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Definitely a valid question to ask. I'm wondering the same thing.
    Me 3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by standa11 View Post
    Me 3.
    I'm pretty sure they are going to keep enough frames for warranty replacement and most of the parts up for riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Showcase: XTC Advanced 27.5 - Giant Bicycles / Bikes

"The larger the diameter of a wheel, the greater the contact patch of the tire. A larger contact patch results in better traction, which leads to improved acceleration...."

um, really?? traction yes, but acceleration?

mtbr member
    Just got some Aussie pricing for some of the 27.5 bikes. Now, I'm only publishing this to help the Australian buyers...nothing to do with rubbing it into US buyers that our prices are cheaper given that everything over here normally costs 20-30% more (bikes, camping gear, motorbike parts, stereos - does the chip on my shoulder show?) than what you pay in the states. Anyway.

27.5 Anthem Advanced 0 - $6799
    27.5 Anthem Advanced 1 - $4299

No carbon 2 in Oz apparently

27.5 Trance Advanced 0 - $6799
    27.5 Trance Advanced 1 - $4799
    27.5 Trance Advanced 2 - $3599
    Love isn't blind... its retarded.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Better cornering? According to whom? My nickel set up as 27.5 slayed the anthem 29er I rode.
    You must mean slow speed agility and flick-ability? You'd be the only one who thought the 650B with smaller tire contact patch could out corner a 29er.If so, take a look at your tire choice first. I can just about out corner any of my 650b bikes using HD 2.35's with my 29er bikes using Ro Ro 2.25's.

I find my AX 29er, set up with a 120 fork, spot on or on the side of being to agile for most of my trails. The Ax with 100mm fork is far to agile for my liking. So we obviously ride different trails.All of my 650B bikes are set up at 66 deg to compete with the stability and ability to carve loose corners of my 29er bikes..

As far as low speed agility and flick-ability, the 29er is at a disadvantage any time you have to wag the bars side to side. this can be minimized or totally eliminated by shortening up your stem an inch and increasing your bar width a couple of inches.

My experience so far is, unlike 26", a 650b can be made to handle through a corner like a 29er and vice versa with geometry and bar stem choices.

You can't however nullify the differences in rollover and cornering traction of the 29er , acceleration of the 650B and the slight hesitation when flicking the bars of the 29er.

Choose which is important to you.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 07-30-2013 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anyone published weights on the Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"? I read somewhere that the Advanced 0 weighs 9.7 kg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Tach View Post
    Just got some Aussie pricing for some of the 27.5 bikes. Now, I'm only publishing this to help the Australian buyers...nothing to do with rubbing it into US buyers that our prices are cheaper given that everything over here normally costs 20-30% more (bikes, camping gear, motorbike parts, stereos - does the chip on my shoulder show?) than what you pay in the states. Anyway.

27.5 Anthem Advanced 0 - $6799
    27.5 Anthem Advanced 1 - $4299

No carbon 2 in Oz apparently

27.5 Trance Advanced 0 - $6799
    27.5 Trance Advanced 1 - $4799
    27.5 Trance Advanced 2 - $3599
    Any chance of prices on non-advanced models?

Ta

mtbr member
    First off im sure the the new 650b bikes are awesome. Part of me thinks that the 650b movement is an industry wide way to reduce production costs and simplify marketing of products. At the same time they can sell it as the next big thing and charge a premium. In the mountain bike world there is a plethora of choices to make and from a business standpoint this seems like a way to simplify things. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A nice sentiment that I can't see really happening. Can't see Niner shooting themselves by canning their namesake.

However, maybe Giant are making a smart move in that they can produce these bikes cheaper per unit with only one wheel size to worry about and out-do other companies; I mean more so than normal!

Quote Originally Posted by gnatiAZ View Post
    First off im sure the the new 650b bikes are awesome. Part of me thinks that the 650b movement is an industry wide way to reduce production costs and simplify marketing of products. At the same time they can sell it as the next big thing and charge a premium. In the mountain bike world there is a plethora of choices to make and from a business standpoint this seems like a way to simplify things. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thinking the same thing.

If I manage to crack my Anthem 29, does that mean I'll get the 650B instead which means I'll have to buy new fork and wheels?
    I can tell you from a bike dealer I spoke to with a customer with a cracked XS trance x 29 frame under warranty. He said giant had no XS frames in the world and won't be making any more in 2014. His client is getting a 2014 27.5 frame wheels fork with everything else swapped over. I'm in Australia

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In my opinion, the charts and explanation is for the haters. They have to explain their methodology with this change, and pinkbike is the perfect example of why. Look at the brutal comments below the article. The pinkbike kids will only ever like 26", period. Most don't even know why, they just do it because the next guy does it. They are fan-boys, in a sense. What will really be interesting is if/when this 27.5/650b gets into the DH world, and it will eventually. Imagine the average pinkbike fan-child's reaction to a DH star like Gee Atherton or Aaron Gwin or Danny Hart, or any of the other mega-stars begin riding a 27.5 after all their hate. It will be an epic rip in the space-time continuum and they won't know how to handle it. For example, they hate 29ers with a passion, and their minds were blown when Gwin won an early DH on a 29er. It will happen too, a stud DHer will ride a 27.5 at some point, and may do well on one too.

As for the charts and graphs, I get it that it is trying to sell a product. But I also like that they (Giant) have stated that they have been working and researching the 27.5 wheel since 2011. Giant is certainly big enough to put a lot of R&D dollars into this. Plus, being that they manufacture a number of frames for other bike companies, they know where the market is going before just about anyone else. I appreciated the charts and graphs as I am a science guy. I like that stuff, marketing or not.

As far as people stating that they will not buy a Giant now because they have alienated the 26" and 29", that is your choice completely. Sure, I bet Giant would love to have you as a customer, but at the same time, again it is your choice. Go buy someting else, no one cares but you in the end. As long as you like what you are riding, that is all that matters. There will still be plenty of people that like the Giant brand and the 27.5 wheel size. I think the 27.5 is around to stay for the long haul, not just a trend or fad as some say it is.
    The fanboy 26" stuff is just psychology. Did you ever hear about the Cure concert where all the wanna be fans at the show, waiting for the band to come out, flicking their Robert Smith hair, were dumbfounded when the lead singer came on stage and he had cut his hair? They must have thought, now what? I am not a fan of any wheel size yet, but I admit I am biased to 29'er for the time being. I'll try my 26.5'er again, and will jump on a 27.5'er at the first demo I can.

The charts and diagrams. I am just saying its not un-biased, so alone, I don't trust it. Sure, they want to explain why 27.5 is ideal, why they chose it etc, and to convince those who don't believe. I get that, but what I am saying is, it seems funny that the "science" they present is so favourable towards 27.5. That is interesting. Either it will be proven as biased, or, just as interesting, it will be proven as true.

This is what I mean:

27.5 is closer to 26", Giant says:

1) 27.5 wheels are only 5% heavier vs 12% heavier for 29'er. I wonder if you are competing and using lighter race wheels, will this difference be reduced?

2) Angle of attack. Giant says 27.5 have 66% of the increase in angle of attack that 29'er wheels have, even though 27.5 are less than half way larger than 26.5" wheels.

3) 27.5 wheels are only 1.5% slower to accelerate vs the 3.6% slower 29'er wheel, when both are compared to the 26.5" wheel. This is tied to wheel weight, so no surprise.

4) Again, for contact patch, Giant is saying that even though the 27.5 is less than half way between, it has 66% of the 29'er contact patch increase.

1 and 3 make sense, and are so similar as to be almost the same, both dealing with the mass of the wheel (although the larger wheel also has added affect on acceleration).

2 and 4 though, are not intuitive, and so I wonder if they are actually true. And they talk about frame stiffness. I am just saying I never trust marketing. I don't care how much testing they have done. I am not saying I don't believe it's possible, I am just saying I don't believe it just based on their advertisements. Let's see what riders, testers and sales are like. I'm totally interested. I will try one and see for myself.

Who buys what I don't care, but...if 27.5 takes over wrongly, and eliminates the other wheel sizes, it will be less, not more. More choice is better. Let's see what the sales do AND what testers and honest reviewer say.

I will say this, their marketing is effective, because it is making me want to try a 27.5 bike more than I did before this came out.

There is a hint to the bias of the design though. The ad for the anthem says "This new 27.5 rocketship is the choice of Giant pro racers for technical XC terrain" ...so does this mean terrain more technical, more all mountain like?

Also, if the Anthem does have a comparatively slack head angle of 69.5 degrees vs the 26 and 29'er...that speaks of a lean towards more technical all mountain riding. How will this bike handle in lesser technical singletrack vs the other wheel sizes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

"This new 27.5 rocketship is the choice of Giant pro racers for technical XC terrain"
    I saw this tag line on the ad and immediately thought, "great, another sub genre". Isn't that what "trail bikes" are for? More than XC, less than AM. Lol.

Just ride, right.

Good, green, Oregon.
    FYI.....THE MTBR home page article on the Giant line up has all the pages of the dealer catalog posted with geomerty number and the like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Damn, the cheapest Trance is cheap! But im so unlucky that i live in Europe, and the price will be alot higher than the US prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interesting review of the new Trance: Flow?s First Bite: Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 0 | Flow Mountain Bike

Claimed weight is 11.10kg

mtbr member
    Damn now i think Im leaning towards a 27.5 Anthem over the 29er with news of them wanting to phase 29ers out...

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    Interesting review of the new Trance: Flow?s First Bite: Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 0 | Flow Mountain Bike

Claimed weight is 11.10kg
    Great write up, and just makes me want one so bad. Thanks for linking that here, and you might do the same in the Giant Trance 650b thread that PinchFlat started in the 27.5/650b sub-forum. Again, thanks paulcd!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1