Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm also (really) hoping for a 650B Reign. Love the Maestro design. Not sure without looking what the current HA is but I would say make it 67.5 and then with an angle set or different fork lengths you can get almost anything reasonable. BB height 13.5+. I'd rather see 13.75" for where I live (New England). 12x142 would be nice also. I'm REALLY tempted by the new 140mm Banshee Spitfire but I know as soon as I buy one Giant will announce a 150mm 650B Reign. The Banshee is a killer bike though and if you look at the linkage graphs for the new KS Link, the Giant and the Mojo HD all are very similar and outstanding.

Scroll down to the Banshee Rune and the graphs include the Giant and HD also Google Translate

Since Fox has announced a lightweight 140mm 650B fork rest assured there are 140mm bikes in the pipeline and most likely from a few of the big boys. Pretty sure Santa Cruz is doing a 650B bike also.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post

That said, looking at the interview, I'd say Giant isn't going to show up with any 650b bikes for 2014.
    Well, seeing as there are a number of proto 650's right now in the US, you can read between the lines here:

"I'd suspect at most of the European events you'll see a lot of the guys on a longer travel bike that's not a 29er."
    Last edited by rideit; 02-02-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    12x142 would be nice also.
    Can you articulate why? I agree that it would be essential on some bikes with different rear suspension designs but not on a dual short link like the Maestro. Any company that uses a DSL design and puts a 12x142 rear axle on it (short travel application), is bending to marketing hype. Look at the rear triangle on a Maestro equipped bike. It is a tiny, solid, aluminum triangle. It won't be any stiffer by putting a through axle on it. Just heavier and more expensive.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Mevadus, I think you may be worrying too much about what things might look like.
    There is definitely some truth to this. I generally try to gain my own opinions and perceptions on things before I listen to what others have to say, but I am currently in a location that is fairly isolated and with one local bike store that doesn't have much to offer. Thanks for the recommendation though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    From what I understand Giant and Shimano are teaming up to make Giants, Shimano only since Giant is so pro Shimano. This would be a horrible idea since not everyone is a fan of Shimano(me being one). I would not buy a Giant if this happened.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    From what I understand Giant and Shimano are teaming up to make Giants, Shimano only since Giant is so pro Shimano. This would be a horrible idea since not everyone is a fan of Shimano(me being one). I would not buy a Giant if this happened.
    Hah, seeing as Team Giant is 100% Sram, that is pretty hilarious!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I know they are SRAM now but traditionally Giant has been using Shimano on team bikes forever. This is what a Giant rep told me when I was in the shop.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I know they are SRAM now but traditionally Giant has been using Shimano on team bikes forever. This is what a Giant rep told me when I was in the shop.
    To be fair, Previously SRAM products weren't quite 'there', not only in performance, but in capability of providing product and support throughout the global race season (the team is global, after all...try getting a a new short cage XT derailleur in South Africa in, say, 2008).
    It has as much to do with sponsorship and product support/logistics as with product choice.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

I'm hoping for a Giant Anthem 29'er with revised geometry: shorter chainstays and lower stand over height.

Tactical Nightmare
    Hmmmm, that doesn’t sound quite right there buddy. Here is some info for you:

All Factory Team bikes will be “Powered by SRAM” featuring the latest cutting edge components including SRAM drivetrains, Truvativ componentry, Avid brakes and RockShox suspension. Other sponsors include DT Swiss wheelsets and Schwalbe tires. Fox Head will supply apparel for gravity and enduro events, and DNA Cycling will supply XC race kits.
    That quote is from an article on Giant’s website, found here:

Giant Factory Team Expands for 2013! - News | Giant Bicycles / Fahrräder | Deutschland

That article, as you can see, is for the 2013 season. So, unless the rep you spoke too is just messing with you, I would have to say he is wrong. Sorry bro.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

Tactical Nightmare
    Alright, anyone want to play the wild speculation game? What is Adam Craig riding?

I haven't given it a close review yet, but will soon. Odd color frame, but could just be a special Trance for him. Any thoughts?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Alright, anyone want to play the wild speculation game? What is Adam Craig riding?

I haven't given it a close review yet, but will soon. Odd color frame, but could just be a special Trance for im. Any thoughts?
    That's last year's Reign. His 13' 29Trance X is carbon black.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I am 5'3 and change and have ridden over 900 miles on my Giant trance x29er 1 that got in August. Bike has been AMAZING. Its eadly the most fun bike I have ridden. Don't let the fact that it a 29 dissuede you from trying one. You just may be surprised.

I AM I AM
    I'm hoping Giant brings back the 26" XTC in Aus, and more choice in 26" HT's in general.

Currently if I wanted to buy a 26" HT, which I might have considered doing this year, my only choice is a relatively low end Giant Boulder. Doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and want to buy a new bike which would be heavier with lesser components than my old single speed with rim brakes that I'm riding now!

Just bring more 26"ers back, that's all.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape View Post
    I'm hoping Giant brings back the 26" XTC in Aus, and more choice in 26" HT's in general.

Currently if I wanted to buy a 26" HT, which I might have considered doing this year, my only choice is a relatively low end Giant Boulder. Doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and want to buy a new bike which would be heavier with lesser components than my old single speed with rim brakes that I'm riding now!

Just bring more 26"ers back, that's all.
    Sorry Ducktape, not gonna happen, the reign is the only decent 26er that giant sell in oz, and even that will be gone soon, i agree is disappointing but its the way its going..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member

I haven't given it a close review yet, but will soon. Odd color frame, but could just be a special Trance for him. Any thoughts?
    Im calling "650b REIGN X" with what looks like a CCBB shock and RS Rev fork. Front on shot at 1:52 and side on shot at 2:23 both look very suspiciously like bigger wheels.

Undoubtedly it is a stock frame, minus the XO decals and a changed rear rocker arm/triangle. After the hype from last year and the TX29 protos that AC was riding, this wouldnt be "out of the norm" for Giant to allow such close ups of a bike in a inconspicuous random video. Mark my words, this is the beginning of the Giant 650b hype.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hope they make a 36er. 29 just ain't big enough.

cowbell
    I actually have to side with ducktape right now. I'm in the middle of buying my son an upgrade (upsize) from his 24" bike. He can ride my wife's small size talon, but the 29" wheel is just too much for him. So he's getting a small sized Revel 1. I'd get him something that has a little nicer components on it, and weighed less than 30lbs, but no one makes it. You basically stop at the level of the Revel 1, and move to x9 stuff that's $1500+ - and I'm not going that far for a 10 year old. Anyhow, yes, more options in the 26" range would be nice.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Why does everybody seem to think a 650b is coming? i doubt it very much....
    Tell us why you doubt that. I'd be very curious to know.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Carbon Reign, it's about time,

Doesnt ride Banshees

Nothing new to see. He used his teammates Reign X With 26" wheels for that promo video shoot.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post
    Nothing new to see. He used his teammates Reign X With 26" wheels for that promo video shoot.

Ummm...yeah, I covered that for you! ;--)

And then we eat them."

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Hopefully an entry level bike that doesn't come in at 34.9 lbs like my Talon 2.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Hopefully an entry level bike that doesn't come in at 34.9 lbs like my Talon 2.
    The Talon 0 is much ligher, and I'd still consider that entry level. It's all about the fork and components. The frame is pretty nice.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    Im calling "650b REIGN X" with what looks like a CCBB shock and RS Rev fork. Front on shot at 1:52 and side on shot at 2:23 both look very suspiciously like bigger wheels.

Undoubtedly it is a stock frame, minus the XO decals and a changed rear rocker arm/triangle. After the hype from last year and the TX29 protos that AC was riding, this wouldnt be "out of the norm" for Giant to allow such close ups of a bike in a inconspicuous random video. Mark my words, this is the beginning of the Giant 650b hype.
    I like your way of thinking! I saw it like you did, referencing back to the TX29 videos with the glimpse of a new ride here and there. A teaser of sorts. Great marketing in my opinion.....create the buzz quietly, and then drop the hammer when no one is looking.

With Enduro coming on so strong and so quickly, Giant has to have something up their sleeve. I don't think they will wait around like they did with the 29er. Especially fielding an enduro team, but no real trail/enduro bike to fit the bill. Don't get me wrong, they have a number of capable bikes to run the enduro series, but why not use this new marketing and bring out a new hot seller?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast