Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Don't you think those very same words were said about a 29er too? I bet so, and look where we are now. I would guess that the big boys may come to the table a little later, but they'll all be there eventually. It may not be 2014, but it will be shortly after I would guess. My $.02 anyways.
    Giant have already shown by ditching nearly all the 26ers that they will only produce bikes that will sell, do you think they will sell more 650bs than 26ers ?
    650BS have a small range of tyres that can be bought for them and i would suggest a have a small market to sell them to.
    For the record i think 650bs are an ideal wheel size, im all for them, but i lack faith that giant will produce them until they become more main stream, i hope im wrong.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Giant seems pretty resistant to jump on trends unless they can justify it with a performance benefit- example is their lack of 12mm thru axle rears. If they have determined that 650b doesn't offer enough of an advantage over 29er, or they can't figure out the geometry (I don't know if they have a history designing bikes with 650b) then maybe they won't.

But I really hope they fix their deteriorating graphic design choices... the bikes for 2013 are baaaaad. I gave up my beautiful '11 XTC for a new 13 model but it was bittersweet ; )

mtbr member
    Giant won't do 650B until a full year after everyone else does it.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    DING DING DING, we have a winner....
    Spot on Limba...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Only a small thing, but I'd like to see a direct mount rear derailleur hanger. All newer models of Shimano RDs are capable of being mounted in this way, it just needs Giant to come out with the swept back hanger. And as it's separate to the frame anyway, it can be retro-fitted to existing bikes.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Spot on Limba...
    Who is "everybody"? I ask, because it is obvious that while not everybody is jumping in, a whole bunch of them are! Look at the whips out already from KHS, Norco, Jamis, and so many more! I know, that short list doesn't include some of the big boys, and maybe that is your point with saying everyone.......Specialized, Giant and Trek aren't in the mix yet. I just keep seeing the beginnings of something big with the 650b, and within a couple of years, absoutely everyone will be doing it. Look at the list of 650b tires that are scheduled to come out this year! Support of aftermarket products is almost there already, and that alone can drive the primary market.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Who is "everybody"? I ask, because it is obvious that while not everybody is jumping in, a whole bunch of them are! Look at the whips out already from KHS, Norco, Jamis, and so many more! I know, that short list doesn't include some of the big boys, and maybe that is your point with saying everyone.......Specialized, Giant and Trek aren't in the mix yet. I just keep seeing the beginnings of something big with the 650b, and within a couple of years, absoutely everyone will be doing it. Look at the list of 650b tires that are scheduled to come out this year! Support of aftermarket products is almost there already, and that alone can drive the primary market.
    Scott has a 650b as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    This is what I'm thinking, but I'm just an old soldier.
    Giant needs to get off their 4th point of contact and be the 1st of the "Big 3" to do 650B.
    I can't see how they could lose, they should already be near completion on this.
    Eah, I'm not Giant sponsored, so I may be riding someone else's 27.5 / 650B.
    The Norco is very sweet, Intense looks well done, and Foes might appreciate my business as well.
    Ok venting is finished.
    Seriously though, be a hero and step up Giant.

Owner Epic Biking
    I may be reading way to much into this, but when I go to Giant's B2B website to order stuff, they have 650b mountain bike tires, 650b mountain bike tubes, and 650b mountain bike wheels that you can order from Giant. Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but it seems to me that it at least means that Giant is aware of the 650b market.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I may be reading way to much into this, but when I go to Giant's B2B website to order stuff, they have 650b mountain bike tires, 650b mountain bike tubes, and 650b mountain bike wheels that you can order from Giant. Maybe that doesn't mean anything, but it seems to me that it at least means that Giant is aware of the 650b market.
    Really? Hmmmm, very interesting, and seemingly telling about the future from Giant. Thanks for the tip! Now double check that this isn't proprietary info, and please, keep going! I'm all ears....or eyes anyways!

mtbr member
    Yes, when I say everybody I mean the big boys, brands comparable to Giant, GIANT corporations. Trek, Spec, Cannondale... those type of manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Talking with my local bike shop, it sounds as if they are pretty sure that the next GIant Reign will be done in 650b. I was told could be announced and in production by summer. This bike shop was correct in the last thing they told me early about a Giant bike, so I have pretty good confidence that they are in the loop on this topic. That would be an exiting bike!

Owner Epic Biking
    Now double check that this isn't proprietary info, and please, keep going! I'm all ears....or eyes anyways!
    It isn't proprietary info and like I said it may not mean anything. Giant is a distributor for a lot of parts and accessories. I really don't have any inside information, I am just guessing that since they carry 650b stuff they are aware of the market.

When Giant came out with their first 29ers the story I got was that Giant didn't come out with a 29er earlier because of problems that needed to be solved. With tapered steer tubes, and 15mm thru-axles, and then Giant's own stiffer wheels they were then able to produce a good 29er. With 650b those technologies are already there so they should not hold them back.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Talking with my local bike shop, it sounds as if they are pretty sure that the next GIant Reign will be done in 650b. I was told could be announced and in production by summer. This bike shop was correct in the last thing they told me early about a Giant bike, so I have pretty good confidence that they are in the loop on this topic. That would be an exiting bike!
    This sounds great!
    It also make good since. To me anyway.
    :^P

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Spot on Limba...
    Yes, this supersedes my listed wishes. It's true. Giant are smart in that they await to see what others do first and then market what others seem to sell. So although I'd like to see 650bs in some models, it probably won't be anytime soon

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    I bet your shop is right.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised if Giant does nothing for their MTB 2014 range, but has some changes in the Road range. They seem to alternate between Road and MTB each year.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Giant does nothing for their MTB 2014 range, but has some changes in the Road range. They seem to alternate between Road and MTB each year.
    Nice! By this theory, I would say 2014 will be an MTB year, considering they just released the 2013 TCR Advanced SL! Sweet looking ride for sure! Just thinking positively VERT1!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    But they also just released a trance x 29r.

I hope for 2014 they go to 142x12. Well, maybe I don't... Because then that means that my trance x that I just ordered will be worth less...

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Iqbal624 View Post
    But they also just released a trance x 29r.

I hope for 2014 they go to 142x12. Well, maybe I don't... Because then that means that my trance x that I just ordered will be worth less...
    And...3 new carbon Anthems and a completely redesigned XTC Advanced SL 29er. Also several new MTB wheelsets to include a carbon set. Very big year for Giant in 2013.

142x12 may be necessary for lesser suspension designs but it's a wasted on a dual short link like the Maestro. Negligible stiffness increase, added weight and you'll need more expensive hubs in your wheels. Glad they didn't bend to the marketing hype.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Owner Epic Biking
    I think that alternating between road and mountain is a thing of the past. Giant has a new road bike, the Propel and women's Envie that they officially released this weekend. This was a major effort for the road, and like silentfoe said there were a lot of new mountain items this year. Also you had the 29er Anthem new the year before.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ooh boy it's like Christmas! How about a carbon Tance 29er, I would like to drop a few more pounds even though it is pretty light already.

Tactical Nightmare
    Just thought this was an intersting tie-in to the conversation here. Some of you may have seen this already, but in case you missed it......

pinkbike.com interviewed the Giant Factory Off-Road team manager and they specifically asked him about Giant and the 27.5 trend. I know this guy isn't a R&D guy or product designer, but he works with the factory off-road team, which certainly would be the proving ground of just about anything new they are working on, as they did with Adam Craig and the Trance X 29er. Check it out, and let me know your interpretation of what he says:

Interview: Joe Staub - Giant Factory Off-Road Team Manager - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I also hope Giant has a different wheel size for the Anthem besides 29" by 2015. I stand 5'5.25, and feel I would look foolish on a small size frame with 29" wheels. I've come to realize my 2009 Anthem X1 is slowly becoming obsolete, since I am already having difficulty finding a 110mm to 120mm, 26" Fox fork with a lockout option. I would like a new bike after I leave Alaska and move back to Florida, and an Anthem X Advanced 650b 0 composite would very much suit my needs/wants.
    Last edited by mevadus; 02-02-2013 at 12:54 AM.

cowbell
    Mevadus, I think you may be worrying too much about what things might look like. Why not try to find one and ride it? My wife rides a small sized Talon 29er, and it doesn't look silly at all.

That said, looking at the interview, I'd say Giant isn't going to show up with any 650b bikes for 2014.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast