Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Has anyone seen if they've updated the AL Anthem's frame? (Specifically, in the top tube to seat tube junction)?
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man i am glad i didn't buy the trance 29er , I can not wait !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any upgrades or so on the trance 29 for 2014?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So was there a carbon Trance 29 (someone mentioned earlier)? I was at a shop and we were looking through the dealer website yesterday, but didn't see that one in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CRogge View Post
    Has anyone seen if they've updated the AL Anthem's frame? (Specifically, in the top tube to seat tube junction)?
    Why did yours break there?

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    So was there a carbon Trance 29 (someone mentioned earlier)? I was at a shop and we were looking through the dealer website yesterday, but didn't see that one in there.
    Yes there is. AFAIK, the full lineup of 2014 bikes is not on the website yet, only some Talon models.

Owner Epic Biking
    Just got back from Deer Valley where Giant showed all the 2014 bikes to the dealers. Like others have said there are a LOT of 27.5 bikes. I'd give you a rundown but Giant asked that we not give out names of bikes and specs until August after they have given the media a chance to report on the bikes. I got to ride several of the bikes and the public has a chance to ride the bikes today (July 21,2013) in Deer Valley. The new 27.5 bikes are amazing. I loved the light weight bike, it is my kind of bike. The SX bike was a great downhill machine, and in climb mode was extremely good at climbing. Giant is going big with 27.5. If you are in Utah and you can get out to Deer Valley today, go demo the new bikes.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Guess who just had his grubby little paws all up in a 2014 Giant Dealer Catalog. Yep. Stopped by the bike shop on the way home from doing some trail building (I told you my paws were all grubby!) and they were just putting it together and putting the price stickers in it. So, a few notes:

The Intrigue is a womens 27.5 Trance.

There are a LOT of 27.5 models.
    There are a LOT of bikes featuring Shimano group sets.
    The Trance SX (there's an Advance SX too) is really freaking expensive. But it has trail brakes and a 160mm fork, but it looks like it's still the same frame. Only available in 27.5.
    Most Trance 27.5 models feature adjustable 120-140 travel forks. HT angles are 70 degrees. CS is 17.3.
    There is no Reign.
    The Reign X1 is actually more appealing to me from a price/warranty/performance stand point than any of the Trances.

If you've got questions, I'll try to answer them from memory. Which means don't ask me for prices. I remember the SX bikes were $6K, the Reign X1 was $3.8K.
    is the reign x a new frame this year? 650b?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the trance sx looks like a reign to me, ie all mountain given the rear travel. just not called a reign. But who knows, with any luck there will be a reign as well.

Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    is the reign x a new frame this year? 650b?
    Last edited by lucifuge; 07-22-2013 at 01:40 AM.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    the trance sx looks like a reign to me, ie all mountain given the rear travel. just not called a reign. But who knows, with any luck there will be a reign as well.
    Sorry, no Reign this year, just a Reign X. The Reign X unfortunately is still 26" so, no. Probably still the same frame. If price were no object at all, I'd buy a Trance SX Advance and be done with it. But I'm not made of money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I went by the LBS this morning and the owner just got back from Giant's demo days. The Trance 29er didn't get any changes except for color schemes. Lots of 27.5 bikes in different models. The Trance SX is the bike that everyone seemed to be raving about. The owner has an Anthem X Carbon 29er and he said the best bike that he rode in his opinion was the Trance X0 29er and the SX. There's some differences and he said each will have their niche but for cross country riding/all around bike those were his choices. I still prefer the 29er for the types of terrain we ride here but I'm really interested to see how these 27.5's work here. By the way, the Trance X1 is a grey color with orange graphics and it looks really good. Same components as last year. The X0 is the same paint scheme as the x2 from last year but has neon blue instead of yellow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawja7 View Post
    I went by the LBS this morning and the owner just got back from Giant's demo days. The Trance 29er didn't get any changes except for color schemes. Lots of 27.5 bikes in different models. The Trance SX is the bike that everyone seemed to be raving about. The owner has an Anthem X Carbon 29er and he said the best bike that he rode in his opinion was the Trance X0 29er and the SX. There's some differences and he said each will have their niche but for cross country riding/all around bike those were his choices. I still prefer the 29er for the types of terrain we ride here but I'm really interested to see how these 27.5's work here. By the way, the Trance X1 is a grey color with orange graphics and it looks really good. Same components as last year. The X0 is the same paint scheme as the x2 from last year but has neon blue instead of yellow.
    Is there a trance x 29er 2?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Is there a trance x 29er 2?
    Yes there is. It's the baby blue and black colors of the lower end Anthem from last year. I think the components are the same on it as well. The X1 is still the bes value if you can afford it as its only $800 or so more than the X2 and I've spent that already in upgrades.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawja7 View Post
    Yes there is. It's the baby blue and black colors of the lower end Anthem from last year. I think the components are the same on it as well. The X1 is still the bes value if you can afford it as its only $800 or so more than the X2 and I've spent that already in upgrades.
    honestly, i didnt like the x1 color for 2013.. but if they have new colors for 2014.. i'll certainly consider it. like you though, i seem to "upgrade" and not keep the bike stock.

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Anthem X29...no changes

I saw the catalog today. No changes to the Anthem X29er frame except for colors.......too bad. I was hoping for at least shorter chainstays, but nothing has been changed, not even the seat tube/top tube junction that someone asked about. The AnthemX 27.5 looks pretty sweet though, just not sure I want to go 27.5, but with 17 inch chain stays, 24.2 TT, steepish 69 head angle, and 44.1 wheelbase in a large, that seems perfect for the xc racing and "agressive cross country" riding I typically do. I miss the tight turning, snappy feel of my 26 inch full susp. Any suggestions? I could also go with a Tallboy 2, as it seems to have great geo. on paper. Not sure about their VPP suspension.....ugh! Still looks like Giant will be the brand with the greatest variety with all the new models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    I saw the catalog today. No changes to the Anthem X29er frame except for colors.......too bad. I was hoping for at least shorter chainstays, but nothing has been changed, not even the seat tube/top tube junction that someone asked about. The AnthemX 27.5 looks pretty sweet though, just not sure I want to go 27.5, but with 17 inch chain stays, 24.2 TT, steepish 69 head angle, and 44.1 wheelbase in a large, that seems perfect for the xc racing and "agressive cross country" riding I typically do. I miss the tight turning, snappy feel of my 26 inch full susp. Any suggestions? I could also go with a Tallboy 2, as it seems to have great geo. on paper. Not sure about their VPP suspension.....ugh! Still looks like Giant will be the brand with the greatest variety with all the new models.
    I chose the Trance 29er last year for that aggressive CC riding also. This year the choice is gonna be harder because they have several different options of bikes and packages. The first thing I would look at is the main area you're gonna be riding and your style of riding. Since you said aggressive CC I would look at the Trance with more travel. Especially if you're a Clyde like me. The next thing would be wheel size, and there lies the problem. I can tell you about the ride quality of the 29er but not having thrown a leg over the 27.5 it's a mystery. The LBS owner likes it but he stated that there are other bikes he likes better and that he still prefers the 29ers. He said he liked the 27.5 but there is a specific rider for those. He did say it has some advantages and was quick with ease of pedaling. It's a toss up that I'm happy I don't have to make.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    Changes to the frame from '13 to '14? Yeah, I would say so. Now, I haven't looked at geometry numbers but just from the look of it, I would say changes, yes. Top tube meeting the seat tube is reinforced, and the little chainstay guard is built in, it looks like. Again, I haven't looked at the numbers yet, so overall the geometry could be the same, but there are changes in both aluminum and carbon. Here......

2013 Anthem X 29er 1:

2014 Anthem, of some kind:

See the changes?
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Changes to the frame from '13 to '14? Yeah, I would say so. Now, I haven't looked at geometry numbers but just from the look of it, I would say changes, yes. Top tube meeting the seat tube is reinforced, and the little chainstay guard is built in, it looks like. Again, I haven't looked at the numbers yet, so overall the geometry could be the same, but there are changes in both aluminum and carbon. Here......

2013 Anthem X 29er 1:

See the changes?
    Look at the front dérailleur cable routing. I think this year just have internal cable routes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2013 Anthem X 29er 1:

See the changes?
    The new one on the the bottom looks to be a carbon frame as it has no welds. It also looks to be the 27.5 model, which is new and would certainly look different than even this year's carbon 29er model. I'd still wait to see if the Anthem 29er changes at all, as these are two different models.

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    GT5050 beat me to it! The top photo is a AX29, and I am 99% sure the bottom photo is the carbon A27.5. The bottom photo got me excited last week, as I was sure they tweaked the 29er, but when I looked at the 2014 catalog today at the shop, the AX29er geo. is exactly the same as it was. The 27.5 Anthem's geo. is spot on though! Just not sure if I will miss the 29er roll, etc. Not that I need a new bike anyway, just got my AX 29 last Aug., and have loved MOST of its characteristics, and I have it built to 23.5 pounds race ready, and that is the alloy version. It is rather fun trying to decode the mystery.......

Tactical Nightmare
    So what about this one? A 2013 Anthem X 29er Advanced....Carbon, right?

I know, not the 27.5 and not a 2014, but the frame design and shape is the same as the aluminum one. Maybe I'm wrong, but would they really only make those needed changes to the 27.5 (frame reinforcement at the top tube/seat tube junction)? So if I am getting what you guys are saying, the aluminum 27.5 Anthems will have the same frame design as last years? Now I am confused. Someone straighten me out here......
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So what about this one? A 2013 Anthem X 29er Advanced....Carbon, right?

I know, not the 27.5 and not a 2014, but the frame design and shape is the same as the aluminum one. Maybe I'm wrong, but would they really only make those needed changes to the 27.5 (frame reinforcement at the top tube/seat tube junction)? So if I am getting what you guys are saying, the aluminum 27.5 Anthems will have the same frame design as last years? Now I am confused. Someone straighten me out here......
    I hear what you're saying, and it might well be that they changed some things on the Anthem 29er even with reportedly no geometry changes. However, the 27.5 model has to be an all new frame anyway, so of course it's going to look different and I don't think any real parallels can be drawn back to the 2014 29er just by looking at the new 27.5.

I for one though do think it's possible that some tweaks were made, perhaps a through axle rear end, but I don't think anything major as far as tubing would be changed until the bike gets a significant overhaul. Remember for the 27.5 it wouldn't be a shared frame - different tubing for Alu and different molds for Carbon, so having different shapes is a given.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I think this is the aluminum version, and it looks like it has a sturdier weld between the seat and top tube. And also possibly shorter chainstays, and definitely a larger bend on the seat tube at the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post

I think this is the aluminum version, and it looks like it has a sturdier weld between the seat and top tube. And also possibly shorter chainstays, and definitely a larger bend on the seat tube at the swingarm.
    That actually looks like the carbon 27.5 bike to me. No welds. But I would bet that the 27.5 aluminum version will also have a bigger top tube junction, and I reckon the 29er will stay as it currently is.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast