Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBIRLMTB View Post
    Still at least a month before the 2014's are released for sale here

My ideal would be the Anthem advanced 1

though is it really worth it for the carbon over the Alu 1 ?

With the difference in price i could spec out a superlight set of wheels and some carbon parts etc..

or put some more cash into the pot and go for the Alu Trance 2

what do you guys reckon?
    If you value the weight savings, I would say yes. The carbon frame is lighter. If you're meh on frame weight, save the bread and go aluminum.
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - MIA
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    If you value the weight savings, I would say yes. The carbon frame is lighter. If you're meh on frame weight, save the bread and go aluminum.
    A carbon frame isn't necessarily just about weight savings. The biggest advantage of a carbon frame when applied to a full suspension platform is frame stiffness. Carbon accentuates a full suspension bikes ability to move effectively through its travel without flexing. If an FS design sucks, carbon will point it out in a heartbeat. In the case of Maestro, it just makes it that much better. Light weight is a bonus. As an aside, this is why titanium,IMO, is the worst material ever used in full suspension bikes. Flexy frame material plus linkages equals a big floppy fail.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

Your Best Friend
    If anyone remembers the snafu Giant had with the published numbers versus actual numbers for the 2013 Trances...we'll be measuring the 2014s on Thursday. Both 29er and 27.5. This may prove interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    Consider it confirmed. Only one Alloy Trance 27.5 frame and only one carbon Trance 27.5 frame
    Thanks. Thats good to know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBIRLMTB View Post
    Still at least a month before the 2014's are released for sale here

My ideal would be the Anthem advanced 1

though is it really worth it for the carbon over the Alu 1 ?

With the difference in price i could spec out a superlight set of wheels and some carbon parts etc..

or put some more cash into the pot and go for the Alu Trance 2

what do you guys reckon?
    Where are you seeing an Anthem Alum 1 on the Giant website? The only aluminum Anthem 27.5 I see is the Anthem 3 and the component package sucks? I have heard from my LBS that the Carbon frame is less than 1/2 lb lighter. I'd be interested in the Aluminum version of the Anthem 27.5 if they made one with the same component package as the Anthem Advance 1 27.5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Where are you seeing an Anthem Alum 1 on the Giant website? The only aluminum Anthem 27.5 I see is the Anthem 3 and the component package sucks? I have heard from my LBS that the Carbon frame is less than 1/2 lb lighter. I'd be interested in the Aluminum version of the Anthem 27.5 if they made one with the same component package as the Anthem Advance 1 27.5.
    They have them, but the USA market will not be getting them as of yet.

Anthem 27.5 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I will be picking up a trance 27.5 frameset supposedly next month.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    A carbon frame isn't necessarily just about weight savings. The biggest advantage of a carbon frame when applied to a full suspension platform is frame stiffness. Carbon accentuates a full suspension bikes ability to move effectively through its travel without flexing. If an FS design sucks, carbon will point it out in a heartbeat. In the case of Maestro, it just makes it that much better. Light weight is a bonus. As an aside, this is why titanium,IMO, is the worst material ever used in full suspension bikes. Flexy frame material plus linkages equals a big floppy fail.
    Frame stiffness is all about tube size, regardless of material. Plenty of flexy carbon frames around....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    I will be picking up a trance 27.5 frameset supposedly next month.
    From where? Im in Europe, and from ive been told they wont be available for many months. At least in our country its not. Its going to be a long wait.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Frame stiffness is all about tube size, regardless of material.
    That is a pretty inaccurate blanket statement.

In regards to my previous post concerning Trance geomentry numbers:

Giant sent out an email concerning the changes that are not reflected in the current catalog.

The Trance should have a 67 degree HA, the Trance SX has a 66.
    SA is 73.5 for the Trance and 72.5 for the SX.

mtbr member
    Somewhat disappointed with the 2014 range. (although I do like the improvements to the Trance) 1). No more reign or anything in the 150-160 mm department except for the other disappointment in the Reign X. No internal cable routing and no 27.5 option for Reign X. I understand with bigger wheels you need less suspension however that is not the case here in the alps where some "enduro" trails are more like a WC downhill track with gnarly rock gardens. I wonder if this will be the last year for Reign X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trance 27.5 SX is like a Reign of old, no? 140-160mm travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Somewhat disappointed with the 2014 range. (although I do like the improvements to the Trance) 1). No more reign or anything in the 150-160 mm department except for the other disappointment in the Reign X. No internal cable routing and no 27.5 option for Reign X. I understand with bigger wheels you need less suspension however that is not the case here in the alps where some "enduro" trails are more like a WC downhill track with gnarly rock gardens. I wonder if this will be the last year for Reign X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The price tags are a lot different between a Trance 27.5 SX and the Reigns. With Reign we have 3 setup choices.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post

mtbr member
    Trance SX is 140

Quote Originally Posted by Madiba View Post
    The price tags are a lot different between a Trance 27.5 SX and the Reigns. With Reign we have 3 setup choices.
    But there are no more Reigns, except for Reign X which looks like they just repainted some left over 2013 frames. I was really expecting to buy a Reign X with internal cable routing and 27.5 wheels this year. I will have to look elsewhere. The perfect bike for the Alps (and my riding) just isn't available yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm seeing 140-160mm, where are you seeing only 140mm?

Trance SX is 140

But there are no more Reigns, except for Reign X which looks like they just repainted some left over 2013 frames. I was really expecting to buy a Reign X with internal cable routing and 27.5 wheels this year. I will have to look elsewhere. The perfect bike for the Alps (and my riding) just isn't available yet.

2010 Glory custom FR
    I would cry for Reign so much. Take into consideration fact, that Trance 27,5 SX set in 160mm at the front has HA like 2008 Glory (FR), which is 66* + much lower BB.
    It's very capable bike in hands of an experienced/agressive rider.
    Reign 2013 has 1,5* steeper HA... that is noticeable difference.
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR
    140 rear, 140-160 front, I guess
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just wondering. If I end up buying the cheapest Trance 27.5 with Giants own rear shock, how hard would it be to get an upgrade. Could I for example get a Fox rear shock from them, or do I need to find it somewhere else?

Your Best Friend
    Giant won't sell you the shock. The only parts they supply separately are their own branded items.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, that sucks. But im guessing it wont be that hard to get a different shock, just find the right size, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Well, that sucks. But Im guessing it wont be that hard to get a different shock, just find the right size, right?
    If you want to replace a shock, in any case, you need to know the amount of travel and the build in length of the shock itself. Normally it is cheaper to just buy a higher level of the bike instead of upgrading the shock after a while.

Moving parts like the cranks, shifters and derailleurs aren't the expensive bits on a bike to replace. Things like the shock, fork, wheels and the frame itself are the most expensive parts to buy aftermarket. Perhaps you are lucky and find the right shox for upgrade but I think you will end up paying relative more money than buy the model with the proper/wanted shock.

At least that is how I buy bikes, I look at the geometry and how the bike ride. Then I compare the specs of the different models and compare mostly the forks (and shock) and wheels. I only look to the moving parts when the previous parts (fork and shock) are the same. After that I make the calculation of what I could get in return for the parts I want to replace. In 9 of the 10 cases it is cheaper than building your bike up from a frameset or go for that top level model.

Thats why I bought the XTC Advanced SL 29er 1 (2013 )and upgraded it myself with X.0/XX, Magura MT8 and carbon wheels. It is now comparable with the model and I saved myself a lot of money in comparison with the model.

2010 Glory custom FR
    No problem at all... even CCBD Air CS
    pozdro
    frango

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Just for fun..Does anyone want to speculate what we will see from Giant in 2014?

Of course for 2013 their big intro was the Trance X 29er which has seen some great reviews so far from the media, and is getting some really nice ride reports from actual owners as well. Great to see for sure if you are a fan of The Big G!

But what kind of noise do you think Giant will bring for the 2014 model year? Is 650b on the table at Giant yet? Or will they hold off and ride with the 29ers for a while?

2014 Giant Reign 27.5 anyone?
    You know, I had to go back and read what I had posted back in early January of this year, with my original prediction, and you know what? I wasn't that far off! Not that I am looking for credit or praise in any way, but that was a damn good prediciton. Certainly, some could see the 27.5 coming, but with the intro of the Trance 29er just months before, it was still a bold guess for sure. I stated a 2014 Giant Reign 27.5 as my big prediciton, and while we don't have that specifically, the Trance 27.5 sure filled that spot with it's geometry changes and all. I just had to quote my original post and comment that I had a pretty good guess. I am saving now for the 2014 Trance 27.5 1 as my future ride. Looking forward to it!
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    You know, I had to go back and read what I had posted back in early January of this year, with my original prediction, and you know what? I wasn't that far off! Not that I am looking for credit or praise in any way, but that was a damn good prediciton. Certainly, some could see the 27.5 coming, but with the intro of the Trance 29er just months before, it was still a bold guess for sure. I stated a 2014 Giant Reign 27.5 as my big prediciton, and while we don't have that specifically, the Trance 27.5 sure filled that spot with it's geometry changes and all. I just had to quote my original post and comment that I had a pretty good guess. I am saving now for the 2014 Trance 27.5 1 as my future ride. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
     Praise given

mtbr member
    140-160mm suspension FORK

The frame is still 140mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Anyone know what a Trance 27.5 1 Aluminum weight would be? Curious about this bike. I loved the Trance I had and my Anthem is serving me well, but I may explore going back to more suspension travel in the future. The new Trance is intriguing to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i posted in the other 650b forum a couple weeks back

a medium alum 1 model - no pedals but otherwise complete build - 29.4 lb's hanging off shop scale

Owner Epic Biking
    I'm guessing you mean 29lb 4oz. (.25 lbs) I just weighed the medium we have. It came in at 29lb 2oz. Full build no pedals.

Owner Epic Biking
    They often take pictures before all the specs are finalized. I would go with the specs not the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Is the Anthem Advanced 0 Team coming with Xloc or not? Specs contains Xloc but pictures always without.

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by stop619 View Post
    FWIW, the ones at a recent demo had them.
    Go by the published specs. The demo bikes had trigger shifters, but the actual production bikes have XX1 grip shift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I'm guessing you mean 29lb 4oz. (.25 lbs) I just weighed the medium we have. It came in at 29lb 2oz. Full build no pedals.
    Cool thanks guys. Not that weight is everything, but it does matter for a bike to be used as an all around rig. I don't know what to make of that, at first reaction it looked heavier than I would have thought, as my anthem X1 29er is 26.7 stock without pedals. This Trance has a slightly better spec component wise, and the same wheels only smaller. BUT my bike was weighed tubeless, so I imagine that's a good half a pound. That leaves the weight difference at about 2 pounds. Dropper post and chain guide, as well as bigger suspension and burlier frame add up to quite a bit I guess.

Still though curious as to how it would ride. Climbing is important to me and the Anthem is sublime in that regard, but I wanna take one of these for a spin.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    my anthem X1 29er is 26.7 stock without pedals.
    What size? XXXXXS?

Good, green, Oregon.
    GT5050, I'll be curious too. The '14 Trance 27.5 1 is what I am really looking closely at in a Large, and I currently ride an Anthem X 29er 2. Somthing about the spec of this top aluminum version is really nicely put together and just seems like the right one. Saving now. I figured the weight would be a bit more than my Anthem, but I don't think it would be enough to make it a deal-breaker. Climbing is super important to me as well, as a means to an end.......shredding the downs after the climbs! But I am willing to give up just a bit of the edge on climbing for the increased smile factor on the downs, and a bit of the roll over of my AX 29er for the "flickability" of the 27.5. I am a one bike quiver person, so some compromise is understood.
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?

What size? XXXXXS?
    Haha nope it's a medium 2013 model. 26.71 w/o pedals setup tubeless but otherwise stock. 27.51 with XT pedals. When I briefly set it up with a 1x it was 26.78 with pedals and MRP guide. I reckon this jives with others, doesn't seem off to me based on what I've read and seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've ridden several versions of the trance and anthem as well. As well as a few versions of the reign. My favorite version of the reign was the 140 mm pierced down tube (I believe 2007, the DW link knock off). I have been looking for years as a close replica of this bike from giant (I have a 2011 reign 150 mm and it's too much bike for my trails). I have loves the trance (120) in all it's versions but have wanted a bike that can do x c and I could take to plate kill and ride some lifts. I have about a month on the new trance 3 27.5 and I love it. Feels and climbs more like the trance then the reign. Doesn't feel heavy (taking out the knowledge that its a heavy spec which is getting upgraded). It feels more x c then all mountain (comparing it to the newer versions f the reign which is all mountain). I really recommend it if you've found the newer reigns too much for you. I'm a fan.

mtbr member
    What size? XXXXXS?
    My original (2011) Anthem X 29er (polished aluminium - only model brought in that year) was 12.2kg (XT pedals) on the shop Park scale. Medium.
    Love isn't blind... its retarded.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So I'm not sure if it's been asked in this thread yet because I don't feel like reading 22 pages but the new trance 27.5 1 says the rear axle is 135mmx5mm qr. It also says that its convertible 142mm/135mm thru axle. So is it basically 135mmx5mm thru axle stock but you can buy a 142/12mm thru axle to upgrade it?

2010 Glory custom FR
    Yes, you can upgrade it.
    Dropouts a replaceable. There is 1 piece on the left side w/o a thread.
    There a 2 pieces on the right side: the replaceable der. hanger with non-threaded hole which is 12mm diameter + external threaded part which you thread the axle in.
    I may sound complicated, but it's not. Plus, it's a neat design.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    Go by the published specs. The demo bikes had trigger shifters, but the actual production bikes have XX1 grip shift.
    True, good point.

Your Best Friend
    The drop out adapters come with your new 2014. You would just need a new hub.12x142 isn't needed on a Giant anyway. Overkill and you'll never know the difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i havnt seen eny weight of the Giant Trance advanced SX 27,5
    have you seen or even better weight one?

i have orderd one but will not get it until Marsch =/

i saw something about the trance advanced 27,5 that it will weigh 11,1kg
    sounds crazy if its true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah, the top of the line trance 27.5 is quoted as being 11.1kg (not sure of size though)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi, can anyone tell me the shock length for the Anthem 27.5?

From pivot to pivot...

reason being is i can only get the base line model so will be ordering in a new Fox rear shock for it....

2010 Glory custom FR
    It''s usually M, w/o pedals
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anyone know if the Fox 34 on the Trance SX will have the new 2014 compression tune? If reselling it with Overdrive2 wasn't such a hassle i'd just swap it instantly for a Pike.

Also, any ride impressions of the Trance SX would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hmmm, I just read on Bikeradar that Adam Craig is sporting a Trance Advanced 0 and in a medium it states:

Total bike weight: 12.7kg (28lb)

OK, it has a few accessories but it still seems on the plump size from another website which stated 11.1kg.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    With the Overdrive 2 you can change the top bearing to a 1 1/8. Have done this before and know it works. Just order the headset when ordering the bike or frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Also has a pike. A little on the heavier side. Did it say the stanchions? 34, or 36 vs a 32. That'll add some weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Also other wheels.
    Chainguide
    Tyres
    Handlebar

That adds too

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast