mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Internal routing possible on 2013 Trance X 29er?

Looking at the 2014 Trance and a few other dropper posts, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to route the cable completely internal on the 2013 Trance X 29er? As in up and through the seat post, not out the top tub and up the outside of the seat post (like the oem dropper cable on the 2013 0 and 1).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I don't think so. I have had my dropper post apart twice to clean and grease and I don't think you will have space to get the cable and guide in between the strut and the body of the post. Obviously, the cable would also buckle when you drop the post. Not to mention that the cable could not feed into the bottom of the seat post from within the crossbar.

mtbr member
    I have a '13 TX29 1 and the Rock Sox Reverb S(tealth?) post and it is run internally. My only concern is that the hydraulic line could chaffe against the sharp corner where the downtube/seattube junction is. The BB shell pushes the line toward that corner. In hindsight I should have padded the line right there. I haven't taken it all back apart to see if there's any damage since installation in late Oct, but everything is still functioning.

Internal routing possible on 2013 Trance X 29er?-photo-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sweet, thanks for the confirmation! Be sure to update this thread if you do ever take it apart to check it out.

mtbr member
    If you decide to go that route, be ready to have your patience tested when routing the cable. I will tell you that the best way I found was to take the cranks and BB off/out. Start with a shifter cable (no housing) and feed it toward the BB from the seat tube opening, turning the corner at the BB and continuing to feed it up the downtube and out the internal cable insert hole near head tube. Feeding the cable through that hole is the most tedious part of the whole process. I also took the forks and headset off so I could fit my fingers in the hole between the head tube and down tube to help guide the cable. Use the "J" end of an old spoke through the internal cable hole to try to grab the cable. Once you have that routed, slip a housing around the cable starting at the headtube end and feed it all the way through the frame and out the seat tube. This took a little work to feed the housing around he rocker arm pivot and that bend in the seat tube, but you should be able to do it between using the cable as a guide and being able to bend the housing with your fingers via the BB. Once you have the gear housing routed, that becomes your guide for the hydraulic line. RS includes a little connector that will connect their hydraulic line with a cable housing, so I used that and a lot of electrical tape to make sure they didn't separate while feeding the hydraulic line through the frame. Reconnect the line with the lever, bleed per RS's youtube instructional videos, and that should be it.

I plan on checking on that hydraulic line before a trip on Labor Day weekend, so I'll post an update on whether it has chaffed.

Your Best Friend
    ^ This is what/how the 2014 Trances do it with the new Contact Switch dropper which has the cable coming out of the bottom.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Yeah definitely! I just routed my dropper post cable internally without any problems.. Good luck!
    "Don't take life so serious. No one gets out alive anyway!"

Giant Trace X 29er 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

^ just to confirm, you are not talking about the 2013 contact switch dropper post but some other post?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    "Bikensand" have you checked on the cable yet?
    How was it?

mtbr member
    Yup. I've checked it twice since posting here; the last time being just this past weekend. Everything looked perfect; no chaffing whatsoever

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's great, thanks.
    Building up a frame and planning on doing this my self.
    What tools do you use for removing and installing the bb?
    Can you reuse the bb after removing it? Or does it get damaged in removal?
    Also could you route the reverb house around the other side of the bb sleeve, so it bends around the sleeve rather than the frame corner? Or is that not s good?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Park tools makes a press fit BB remover tool, but if you're very careful you can use a blunt end punch where the two parts of the shell come together and work the BB back and forth till it pops out. If you don't have the tools but have a cool LBS, I'd take it to them for the removal and installation of the BB. You can reuse the BB if you don't break it, which I've done once before on another bike. It's worth throwing your lbs $10 to do it and save yourself the possibility of having to purchase a $40 BB. Completely pressing the BB back in without a proper press can be tricky too and could damage the frame or BB.

It might be possible to route the cable around the BB as long as the bend isn't so sharp it kinks the line. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the info.
    My frame came with the bottom bracket fitted, so I might just build it up with a standard post for now. Give me a chance to see what size reverb I need also.