MJ1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Internal Cable Rattling

Love my new XTC Advanced SL but the internal cable rattle is driving me a bit nuts. The frame does not have a cable "guide" where it enters the frame so I pressed in some rubber tubing in the hole and it seems to silence it a bit. Any permanent fix out there or am I stuck with the noise? First time with internal cables!!

mtbr member
    The guy at my bike shop said, with road bikes, he's tried a trick of taking a long zip tie, zipping it around the cable or brake housing, but leaving it just loose enough that it will still slide up and down the housing. He leaves the "tail" of the zip tie long (doesn't cut it) and then tucks the whole thing into the frame. The tail of the tie curls inside the frame and tensions the cable so that it doesn't jiggle as much. I haven't tried it, but it seems like a plausible fix for a road bike. I'm just not sure it would be enough tension to hold the cable still on a mtn bike and if it didn't work, getting that zip tie out of your frame would suck!

mtbr member
    I picked up mine a few weeks ago. Exact same issue. I wondered if electrical tape might do the trick after thinking through a bunch of other ideas. I emailed my LBS, they forwarded it to their Giant rep and he agreed that was the best solution.

Here is what I did: For the cable on right, I wrapped a few wraps around until it was a decent press fit and pressed the tape about half way through the hole - continues to work great. You will need to experiment with where to tape along the cable to stop the rattle.

For the left side (larger hole), I picked the length that stopped the rattle (pushed some more of the cable in), I wrapped a few more wraps of tape until I just got it through the hole and then let the preload from the cable push the edge of the tape against the edge of the hole (all of the tape is inside the frame). Again, so far so good.

Hope this helps.

What do you think of your bike? I absolutely LOVE mine - coming from a 2009 26" Anthem, racing Cat 2. This bike just flies!

Unpredictable
    This can't be an issue for Giant bikes only can it?

MJ1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    BTLS, I have only done a few rides and one race on the it but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Coming off a great FS 26er (Yeti ASR SL) I had high standards and this bike has been great. I changed up the SL1 spec a little bit and went with a 1x10 drivetrain (WolfTooth 34T direct mount front ring, XO type 2 rear derailleur, and XO gripshift), also changed the front tire out for a Schwalbe 2.25 Rocket Ron. Put on ESI grips too and of course went tubeless. Not sure if its going back to my roots of a hardtail or the bike itself but I have re-found my love for singletrack. Only complaints would be the cable rattle (which I think can be "fixed") and I'm not in love with the 5 degree, 620mm flat bar. Might put on a Niner RDO bar in the future. It seems pretty stiff to me but it could just be me getting used to the bike, we'll see. Almost forgot, also upgraded the rear hub to the 36 tooth drive to give me 10 degrees of engagement (versus 20), not a big deal but coming of King I needed something similar.