Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

info on Giant P-TRX 1C 27.5 wheels?

hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the above noted wheelsystem from Giant. They come on the Trance Advanced 1 but I cant find much info online about them. Just curious who makes them, their weight, general stuff or experience with them.
    Last edited by goobernaculum; 10-26-2014 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member

I have them on my trance advance 1. So far so good, the bike accelerates really well. They seem to be holding up so far, 5 rides, and I'm 210 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I was told by a gent who owns a set that they are made by DT Swiss for Giant. If this is the case, does anyone know what the comparable DT Swiss branded wheel is?
    Last edited by goobernaculum; 10-26-2014 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member

I doubt this hub is a DT Swiss, engagement is really slow.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Giant says "Swiss made hub internals", which may mean, some lower level DT parts.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I doubt this hub is a DT Swiss, engagement is really slow.
    Slow?

It is DT-hubs, to have more POE upgrade star ratchet.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Giant says that its top notch wheelsets have fot hub with 36t/10* star ratchet something, which makes fast/fester POE, which lower models have got 18t/20* star or pawl ratchet(?) thing...
    However, I am not hub expert, so you shall ask Giant for details.
    Last edited by frango; 02-01-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member

This wheelset says nothing about having DT Swiss internals.

"Giant P-TRX1 Composite WheelSystem; lightweight composite 27mm wide rims, Sapim Race double-butted stainless spokes, sealed-bearing hubs, 1610 grams"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I believe the hubs on some of the 2014 wheels had DT internals, it said so in the spec. I think the 2015 carbon wheels might have formula hubs...but don't quote me.

mtbr member
    They have Formula internals.

BTW, here's great bit of info on Giant bikes in generals:
    Seems like the Germans are pretty thorough on their web, so Giant Deutschland should be taken as a reference when looking at bike specs. Not only they list weights, but they also provide much more detailed listings on all the parts too.

For example:

Giant US
    info on Giant P-TRX 1C 27.5 wheels?-tr1advus.png

Giant Germany
    info on Giant P-TRX 1C 27.5 wheels?-tr1advde.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    They have Formula internals.

BTW, here's great bit of info on Giant bikes in generals:
    Seems like the Germans are pretty thorough on their web, so Giant Deutschland should be taken as a reference when looking at bike specs. Not only they list weights, but they also provide much more detailed listings on all the parts too.

For example:

Giant

Giant Germ
    The link say DT RWS for the rear, do you want me to take a foto of the hub?

mtbr member

The DT RWS is the thru axle. Which you should check before every ride. I notice my comes loose from time to time.

2010 Glory custom FR
    After pretty much of thinking, I've decided to get TRX-1 Composite wheelset for my wife's Reign 2
    The wheelset is ready to ride, coz it comes with 15mm front hub and 12x142 rear hub (at least the set we've got in the warehouse )
    I've talked to Giant wheels guy. He told me, rear hub internals are not DT, but they are pretty descent. He says rims can take some abuse, too. He doubts my wife can push too hard.
    I may keep original wheelset just in case, but I think 2200g wheels are overkill for enduro bike.
    I've got 1710g wheels in my Glory (Hope/CX-Ray/WTB i23) and they work very well
    I wonder when she notices "something" different on her bike?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That kinda sucks, I have the 2013 P-TRX 29ers, and the internals are 240s front and rear.

Edit: I did just find this. It shows that the MY2014- P-TRX 27.5 wheelset uses 240s internals for the rear and 350 for the front.

http://www.sykkel.com/teknisk/GIANT%...20Info_V01.pdf

2010 Glory custom FR
    Nice find!
    You can get carbon rims or DT hub internals...
    I hope my wife will enjoy carbon more then star ratchet system
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think with the P-TRX0 you get both. I would rather have aluminum rims with DT Swiss internals.

2010 Glory custom FR
    But not at that price point ;>
    I'd probably get TRX 1 (alu) but we don't have them on stock, anymore.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well at the giants price point I wouldn't buy their wheel set anyways. At retail price you can get yourself a similar pair of Stan's for less. P-TRX1 27.5 Trails 900$ US. Stans Arch Ex 595$ US, Custom Stans with 240s 965$

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The P-TRX-1 wheels that came stock on my 2014 Trance SX seem to be quite good (knocks on wood). Good engagement, light, and decently strong.

I did break one spoke on the back wheel (actually broken nipple), but aside from the inconvenience of having to redo the tubeless setup it was an easy fix. Not certain if the break happened from a rock hit or just a bad nipple. Either way I am happy with them.

Yes, given the current trend of really wide rims, they could be a little wider but running Minion DHF on front and Hans Dampf on the back don't seem to suffer from it. Might swap out the DHF for Muddy Mary for the winter.

Can't comment on the newer ones with the Formula hubs, but the 2014 version with the DT Swiss is a nice touch. Wouldn't pay $900 for them but definitely wouldn't take them off the bike to replace them either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    The P-TRX-1 wheels that came stock on my 2014 Trance SX seem to be quite good (knocks on wood). Good engagement, light, and decently strong.
    I had them come stock my SX as well, and can agree with the light and strong part. They are a pretty good home brand wheelset.

However the engagement angle was too big and noisy as well. When the suspension compressed and chain grew the freehub was clunking away. The wheels were also quite flexy and tyres would rub on the frame during hard cornering. I'm only 145Lbs so that's not a problem.

Have since replaced them with wide carbon rims on Hope 40T evo hubs. Much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Spokes on Giant P-TRX1 wheels

Well finished off more of a XC type ride yesterday only to notice I had a loose spoke. Actually the nipple was broken. This is the 2nd one that has snapped on the rear wheel.

The first one that broke also caused the spoke to get twisted up in the rotor. This broken nipple left the spoke in place, so it will be an easier fix. I will still need to take the tire off, clean out all the Stans, pull the rime strip and pull out the remains of the nipple.

Have others running this wheel, or similar, has issues with nipples breaking. Over the years of riding I have broken a couple of spokes, but don't ever recall breaking nipples. I believe they are aluminum, wondering if I should be replacing all of them with brass nipples while I have the wheel opened up.

mtbr member
    Brass nipples are definitely better than aluminium. Much less prone to corrosion and a lot tougher.

I'd change all the nipples and not just few when you're at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have over 2500 miles on my SX and the stock wheel set have been just great (probably break now that I have said it).
    I am 220lbs and tend to shred outter knobs off of my tires. There is some lateral flex but no frame contact (2.25 rear/2.4 front). No breaks. Rims are true. Run them on the truing stand once a month and use a torque wrench. Some stretch detected but not much. Key here is the torque wrench. It's really a cheap investment compared to wheels. Or even an aborted ride (I really hate hiking).
    I dont know if I would shell out the bucks for a new set but they came on my rig stock. One thing I like a bunch more than my wife's Stan's, i actually broke a Stans hoop trying to shoehorn on a GEAX GOMA. My fault, too aggressive with a lever and those beads are tight. Point is the wheels are a pain in the a$$ to mount up. My Giant set is actually serviceable trailside with the same tires. I could always tube it if it burps or gets cut. She'd be hiking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 2015 Trance Adv. 1 with these wheels. Really want more POE is there any way I can tell if they have DT Swiss internals? I am hoping they do, I know this is wishful thinking. The 2015 demo I rode had a much different sound, the free hub was loud and you could tell it had more POE. Maybe they had the older wheel or they had upgraded to the 36t? I need to ask my LBS but wanted to save the money of replacing the hubs on a new bike if I can just upgrade to the 36t.
    2015 Trance Advanced 1
    2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 2+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast