Coors, the american beer.

im a big fan of the cables on the faith

so anyways, today after a muddier than hell ride in northern california at annadel state park on my santa cruz, im out in my backyard washin that bike and cleaning my 06 faith 3 which i rode out at auburn the day before and only had time to briefly hose off before going to work that night. So on most bikes ive owned, after riding in muddy / wet conditions, you gotta clean the shifter cables (and brake if you dont got disc) and put a little bit of oil on there so they move good and freely.

So im about to do this on my giant and low and behold, the cables are SHIELDED ALL THE WAY TO THE DERAILEURS

why havent any other bike manufactures thought of this? Makes me that much happier with my purchase (i bought the faith in november)
    Last edited by Melt; 01-16-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    so anyways, today after a muddier than hell ride in northern california at annadel state park on my santa cruz, im out in my backyard washin that bike and cleaning my 06 faith 3 which i rode out at auburn the day before and only had time to briefly hose off before going to work that night. So on most bikes ive owned, after riding in muddy / wet conditions, you gotta clean the shifter cables (and brake if you dont got disc) and put a little bit of oil on there so they move good and freely.

So im about to do this on my giant and low and behold, the cables are SHIELDED ALL THE WAY TO THE DERAILEURS

why havent any other bike manufactures thought of this? Makes me that much happier with my purchase (i bought the faith in november)
    Full length housing. Some manufacturers do choose to do this, but often times it just adds unneccesary weight, or allows for more friction or compression within the lines, ultimately leading to degraded performance.

how would it lead to more friction or compression ... im talking about derailuer cables not hydraulic brakes

mtbr member
    the longer housing the higher friction between cable and housing, because of larger friction surface especially when the housing has to bend significantly. But all in all I prefer full length housing...
    Passion beyond reason!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt

It's basically so on the Trance/Reign's as well 'cept for a small exposed peice along the rear triangle. This however is easily solved by using the AVID Flak Jacket cable housing/setup or any similar method. The roange plastic peice goes inbetween and over the cable stops to stop crap getting in and doeasn't contact the cble and therfor doesn't add any friction - so if you used this housing style on a bike with lots of exposed cable you could shield it from exposure and not add cable friction
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Leaving this very part without a housing is IMO stupid as it;s the one most exposed to mud from rear wheel... They should have used full housing and use proper guides for it in the frame...
    Passion beyond reason!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    Leaving this very part without a housing is IMO stupid as it;s the one most exposed to mud from rear wheel... They should have used full housing and use proper guides for it in the frame...
    Yeh,never made much snese to me to run the almost complete cable housing and then leave that part exposed but I'm no engineer right LMAO
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Cycle Solutions
    I am against housing...........too much friction. The less the better, I'm glad the Anthem solved the problems of the NRS, now I wont have to replace my cables and housings every couple of months cause I am a smooth shifting nazi.

i didnt know about those avid jackets .... im definitley gonna get some of those when i build up my 05 blur

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    ful length cables arn't always necesary. another factor is where you live, if it's a wet area you might opt for full housing but it may cause more friction and more weight. usually you find the dh'ers using full housing because their bikes get muddy on the course. but when mud and dirt does get in there... it's very hard to clean them and often times your better off replacing them