mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Is an Iguana a good frame to build on?

Hey folks,

I have a 2003 Iguana and was wondering if this is a platform worth upgrading. If so, what would you suggest as a place to start? I am at a point where I would like to get a little something better, but can't decide between upgrades or new bike. Upgrades are easier to budget and get out on the trail sooner. New bike save money in the long run. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Ryan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It's a decent frame, but depending on what you want to upgrade, you might be better off just buying a new bike. Figure it's time for new bars, stem, fork, and drivetrain, and you're looking at a significant amount of money. $700 will get you a nice bike that will be an upgrade to a 2003 Iguana, which isn't much more than you would spend on parts. If you've been hard on your bike, it might be time for a new frame anyway.

The Notorious S.L.O
    As stated, depends on what you planning on upgrading.
    I have an 03, the Giant Alumxx frame is decent, I upgraded the fork, replaced the cranks and rear wheel as they failed.
    keep an eye for previous year model's for the new bike, could save you tons.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For 2003, the Iguana is the same frame as the Ranier. Other years it may not be, but for 2003 it was. I know in 2004, it no longer shared the same frame as the Ranier. I redid my son's 2003 Iguana and it has been a fine race bike. I built a 1630g wheelset (XTR hubs on 28h Mavic 517 rims), a new fork (I had a Manitou Minute 1:00 laying around, not the best choice, but it works well enough - if I find a good deal on a Fox F100, I'll put one of those on there), installed a Race Face Evolve XC crankset, disc brakes, Thomson seatpost, Easton stem, flatbars w/barends, gripshift with XT rear derailleur among other things.

It's pretty light (around 25lbs) and climbs very fast. Personally, IMHO, I think, for the 2003 model, it's a very upgrade worthy frame.