Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

If not a crack and just paint should I try and get warranty'd

Really cant tell if it's a crack so I will take to dealer. The bike is brand new so kind of pisses me off on the paint. If it's not cracked should I press the paint issue? If it was 1 year old it would Be different but one ride.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-11-2006 at 04:37 PM.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From your pic it just looks like paint. If you could get a single edged razor blade in there then it would be a crack. As far as the paints concerned I don't think there going to do much for ya as theres too many variables in volved.
    Trying to enjoy the Ride!!!

MBAA!
    Does Giant even warranty MINOR paint defects like that?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=schnauzer]It looks like this on both sides of bike. The bike is brand new. Even if it is not cracked I would think that Giant should cover it under a paint defect. Whats your take on it?[QUOTE]

From the comment you made in your other thread, then yes, I would get it checked out by the dealer. It sounds strange, but it could just be the paint too. Either way, I would try and put the pressure on them and see what happens.

I wouldn't be a happy owner if the paint on my frame did that after a single ride or two.

Good luck, Dave.

Scuffed
    This is an extract from Giant's warranty:

2) A. Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Dealer.

So there you have it. I would definately take it back to the dealer and they can sort it out with Giant. My paint work was damaged from where the LBS packed the front wheel with the disc rotor inwards during shipping so they gave me a huge discount and free stuff. I was a bit gutted and could have gone instead for a 2006 Reign 2 which was cheaper but I had searched the country high and low for a 2005 because I prefered the colour Thai Green. But I got a $400 discount, free helmet, lizard skin chain stay guard and wireless computer thrown in. I love my Reign 2 and I've knocked a bit more paint off since then. The paint work on the Reigns is very good now and has a quality 3 layer clearcoat which is apparently used on BMW's etc so I think you have either cracks (which I very much doubt) or a dud paintwork as if the welds havent been cleaned properly before painting. Take it back mate or it will forever annoy you every time you look at it.

Scuffed
    By the way, I think for the photo, you have taken it too close for the camera to focus properly as the wall in the background is in focus from what I can tell. You could try taking the photo further away, then cropping and re-sizing but I doubt we could spot a crack anyway as somethings have to be looked at real close.

good luck
    Amber

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    By the way, I think for the photo, you have taken it too close for the camera to focus properly as the wall in the background is in focus from what I can tell. You could try taking the photo further away, then cropping and re-sizing but I doubt we could spot a crack anyway as somethings have to be looked at real close.

good luck
    Amber
    I have tried and cant find any cracks. The thing I am not happy is with the paint. The paint does that all around the cage. So thats not the only spot. I will take to the dealer and see what they say. I am real crazy when it come to keeping my bike looking good. It helps when it come to re-sale. Anyway, Thanks for everyone's in put and I will let you know Giant does.
    Thanks
    David
    Fly Rider

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

Dave.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

took frame to dealer today on cracked or paint problem

I took my bike to a dealer today for them to look at. They were real nice about it and said that Giant's Rep will need to look at it. Only problem the rep will not be in shop til mid Feb. So looks like it will be a month before I know something. Seems like there should be a better or faster way to do this!
    Fly Rider

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    I took my bike to a dealer today for them to look at. They were real nice about it and said that Giant's Rep will need to look at it. Only problem the rep will not be in shop til mid Feb. So looks like it will be a month before I know something. Seems like there should be a better or faster way to do this!
    If you could take a better photo of the problem area and send it to the rep I'm sure they could have a better clue and give some opinion on it. As is I really can't see anything from the photo you attached - it's so blury you can't tell if it's dirt or what.

Once they tell you to ride it till the rep looks at it you should be fine, just hope it isn't a crack that fails and you get hurt 'cause I don't think they'd help you w/ medical bills.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-11-2006 at 04:40 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics