Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ideal fork for NRS?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BikeSATORI 
#1 ·
Hi Giant fans, looking for some guidance here regarding the ideal fork for an NRS Composite (Air)? I am considering a deal on an Air. I am aware that the 05' C1 & C2 run Fox the FRL80 but the 04' Air had a Skareb Super SPV 80, can any of you comment on the Skareb? have any of you swapped to an alternative? if yes, what?

Also, can anyone comment on the FRL80 on the C1 or C2? Would love to swap to this fork but cash will be the barrier, may have to try something less costly.

Nick

#2 ·
i have an '02 NRS (Al, not carbon) with a 100mm Skareb platinum fork. It's a solid fork, I haven't had any problems so far. All my other forks were around 80mm travel. In at least one race I was glad I had the 100mm, it really helped when fatigue started to set in towards the finish. I'm around 200 lbs, but rarely seem to bottom out this fork. I like the rear-mounted brace. Weight is not the lightest, but not too bad at 3.4 lbs. Colcyclist has them for $350. I'm not too picky about forks, so that's all.

#4 ·
I've run both a Rock Shox SID WorldCup Carbon (80mm, feels like a wet noodly 70 though), and currently a FoxF100rlc on my NRS, and I love it. The SID was super light, but it just doesn't have the performance, ride quality, damping, or stiffness to back it up, too much compromise of performance for weight savings. The Fox on the other hand is excellent. The NRS rides super nice w/ the 100mm fork, esp. if your riding technical or steep terrain- it's so stiff and fairly plush for an air fork, not to mention very adjustable. I was skeptical at first that it would compromise geometry, but not at all, still climbs like a bat out of hell, and the weight gain was not noticeable, and I only weigh approx. 155lbs w/ gear. I thought I would be switching back to the SID for race day, but I've kept Float on. Can't comment on the Skareb though.

#5 ·
A word on the Skareb

ibod1000 said:
Hi Giant fans, looking for some guidance here regarding the ideal fork for an NRS Composite (Air)? I am considering a deal on an Air. I am aware that the 05' C1 & C2 run Fox the FRL80 but the 04' Air had a Skareb Super SPV 80, can any of you comment on the Skareb? have any of you swapped to an alternative? if yes, what?

Also, can anyone comment on the FRL80 on the C1 or C2? Would love to swap to this fork but cash will be the barrier, may have to try something less costly.

Nick
The SPV Skareb that came on the NRS is an adequate fork at best. Im not sure if it was the weather or what but after a half season of riding these babies needed a rebuild.

I just scored a parted out '03 TALAS RLC for under a grand (in canadian loonies).
Of course with there being 75 feet of snow here now there is no way for me to let you know how it rides, just that it looks sweet. The way I see it for a few more ounces you get lots more fork. Stiffer, more adjustable etc.

I would reccomend however, taking a look at your LBS or giving a good LBS a call to see what they are trying to part out from last years bikes. Stuff that was installed but not ridden is a great way to get a deal.

#6 ·
me too loking for a good fork

I'm in the same boat. My NRS was equipped with a Judy C (yeah, remember those?) and it bites big time. I'm looking for the same travel but less weight so Air is the order of the day. Here are my suspects:

Marz. Marathon SL
Rock Shox Duke Race
Manitou Super Air (SPV would be nice)
Fox Float 100 RLC

Has anyone had any experience with any (or all) of these forks. My LBS only wants to sell me what they have and aren't very objective in their opinions. One guy told me that the Duke had the best build quality (he must have been on crack) and that Fox had a lot of returns. See what I'm dealing with.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

#7 ·
Has anyone had any experience with any (or all) of these forks. My LBS only wants to sell me what they have and aren't very objective in their opinions. One guy told me that the Duke had the best build quality (he must have been on crack) and that Fox had a lot of returns. See what I'm dealing with.
hey Daniel, sounds like you better checkity check your bike shop before you wreckity wreck your bike!! No, maybe not, but I would not place the Duke over all other forks and say it is the "best in build quality." - I wouldn't say that for any RS product, well, don't want to post misleading info, I have no experience w/ their new line of forks. Dukes arent' bad, and there is no denying that Fox's too have had their probs, but why do you think so many people are picking up Fox's (not to mention that Giant went w/ them for 05)? They are excellent forks. by manitou super air, are you talking about the Black?? It would be in a similar category as the Duke, both have 30mm stanchions, and the marz is fairly heavy. I'm assuming your set on picking up a fork w/ 100mm of travel?? I too was a bit skeptical when I was switching over from a SID WC to my Float100rlc about adding some weight and slackening the geo. of my NRS, but man, you really don't notice it too much, and when you get used to it, the bike ride's like a dream and you can take on much more terrain. The fox is waaay stiffer, more stable, plush (for an air fork), and damps excellent, not to mention reliable (although I have heard horror stories, but those must've been earlier forks?) If your going 100mm up front, I would also recommend checking out the SGF rocker plates, it evens out the geo a bit, and give a smoother ride, still retaining the no bob efficiency. I'm sure you can pick up the vibe I'm layin down (Fox), but if your not sure, go out and try to test ride as many bikes as you can that may have these forks your interested in on them so you can see first hand.
If I pick up a Trance frame this year, I will swap over all the parts from my NRS (mostly aftermarket custom rather than oem), but I might put a Talas on there over the 100rlc on my NRS, even though the 100rlc would work fine on the Trance, but the talas would offer much more versatility and adjustability in that case, overkill for an NRS though. ;)

#9 ·
Have 2 NRS frame builds. ATM one has an 05 Fox RLT100(3.5lb). The other has a Noleen(3lb) 100mm(32mm sanctions).

The RLT100 is a nice fork. Dunno if its $554 worth of nice tho. Ramps up fast at the end and 90mm is all you get. This the norm for all. Love the lockout, damping, steering, etc.
The Noleen is as light as a Sid, but works almost as well as the Fox(better regarding true travel and a full 1/2lb lighter), and all for $99 closeout last year(bought 2 hehe). It wins by default. Its reliability can be hit and miss tho, at least from what I've seen. Also impossible to find now.

Also used on one or both:

02 Duke SL100 3lb 12oz-ok fork, but ramps up fast, stiction, and not very adjustable
02 Zoke Marathon SL(called S that year tho) airfork 100mm 3lb 5oz. Great fork. Gets a full 105mm travel. Sorta flexy. Decent damping. Not a fan of the lockdown lockout, but its serviceable.
01 Sid XC 3lb 4oz-Flexy, sorta light, flexy, full 80mm travel, flexy.
04 Sid Team 2lb 15oz-Flexy, lighter, flexy, 70mm travel, flexy, damping sucks.
02 Fox Vanilla R 4lb 4oz. Its wonderfully plush...and heavy.

#10 · (Edited)
Did I screw up?

BikeSATORI said:
...but the talas would offer much more versatility and adjustability in that case, overkill for an NRS though. ;)
I have a Large '04 NRS1 & Im pretty stoked about my TALAS.
My rationale at the counter for this purchase was, for an extra $100 this was lots more fork (adjustability and travel) than the F100RLT. It only weighs a few ounces more and if you can only own one bike i figure it better be versatile. The ride height is the same (at the same travel setting) as the F100 so the geometry is less of an issue in comparison. I was riding a Marzocchi Z1 Dropoff before on this bike and was happy with the ride, just not the weight.

**(shameless plug) Z1 Dropoff QR 20 for sale (soo bad, sorry) with Rhynolite Rim**

Also the way I see it, as I get older and fatter the next thing to upgrade on my bike is the frame. When that happens, like you, I'll probably go with the Trance. This fork is a great investment (i hope) in future bike options.

Given this, did I really muck up my bike?

#11 ·
Given this, did I really muck up my bike?
no not at all, I don't see why you would think that is would mess up your bike?? The NRS headtube might not be designed to have a 5" (125-130mm) travel fork, but if your not unecessarily abusing it, and only using it on the steeps, it should be no prob. I just said it was overkill because genarally most people build the NRS (and it was designed for) lightweight xc racing and efficiency.
Along w/ your Talas I would highly recommend the SGF rockers if you don't already have them. 4.5" out back and 3.5-5" in front ain't bad for an all around trail bike. ;)

#12 ·
SGF Rockers eh?

BikeSATORI said:
Along w/ your Talas I would highly recommend the SGF rockers if you don't already have them. 4.5" out back and 3.5-5" in front ain't bad for an all around trail bike. ;)
Thanks!
I really do appreciate your opinion.
I am interested in the SGF rockers. Will they work with the stock rear shock?
I found them on the net, and will give them a shout before the snow melts!

Thanks again.
Jeff

#14 ·
NRS1 - yes the SGF rockers are designed to work w/ the stock SID. That is how I run mine, but if your a heavy clydesdale rider, your SID might die quickly from the extra psi required. I only weigh around 155lbs w/ gear so I am set. A lot of people are recommending the Cane Creek Cloud9 or AD12 for the NRS, I almost picked one up, but might go the way of the Trance... SGF also makes a thicker version of the rockers for heavier riders so there is less flex, not that there is much w/ the normal ones though? I say go for it, fairly cheap upgrade, and it complements you Talas. ;)
Cleedus, smooth ride, get rid of the Avid CPS though. I'm not a big fan of carbon/composites for mtb, but there is no denying that it looks beautiful!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.