Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

My 2013 trance has elixir 3's. Front brakes sound like a marching band trumpet solo! I have tried cleaning with everything recommended, sanding with 220, and over $100 of new brake pads. Everytime I do any of the previous alterations to them it gets me about 4-6 miles of quiet riding and then the horn goes to blowing in the woods! It's very frustrating. I'm asking for any other fixes or recommend the quietest and lowest maintenance brake set available. I'm not even close to rich but to this point spending some $ to be happy again with this bike again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ribble has Deore m615 with the TDF10 coupon code 10% more off. Put in country then currency. $86/set fr&rear
    SLX $110/set fr&rear. Jenson will price match to get US left/front, call them. Ribble has moto style right/front. Free shipping over $99.
    These will not need a bleed for 4 years.
    I use Avid HS1 rotors. No noise with XT or SLX brakes. I wouldn't use the G rotors.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-13-2014 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Get some aluminum backing tape and put it on the backs of the pads. That's widely rumored to work. Costs next to nothing.

What's worked well for me is simply good setup. My brakes will make a bit of noise every once in a while, mostly after they've just been wet. That said, I also don't use avid rotors. But I also wouldn't put the rotors I have on my Anthem on your Trance.

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

I'll try the tape trick. If that don't work I'm putting full set of XT's and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: I want QUIET BRAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Get some aluminum backing tape and put it on the backs of the pads. That's widely rumored to work. Costs next to nothing.
    Good to know.

mtbr member
    Put these on... end of subject avid rotors $uck!!!

Alligator Serration Disc Brake Rotor | Alligator
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

It's about showing up.
    Make sure your rotors are uniformly tight.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    buy xt. I have had three sets and they are bet thing since sliced bread...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Xt...

thecentralscrutinizer
    I've had two bikes set-up with Avid XO brakes and one makes noise the other doesn't. I'm switching the XO for XT this week because the lever, second this summer, crapped out during a bleed.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    buy xt. I have had three sets and they are bet thing since sliced bread...
    That's actually what I'm leaning towards. What is the average length of front and rear brake lines for a 5 inch travel large frame? I know I can go home and measure but if 1 of you guys know off hand I could get them ordered now and maybe receive them this week.

Thanks for all the help/replies

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My Avid brakes made lots of noise until I switched the pads out. I ended up going with Safras pads and they have been quiet and actually I have better lever feel know. May want to try that before you drop money on new brakes. The pads are cheap from Jenson USA.
    Last edited by Hotwhls; 07-15-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    2011 Giant Reign

mtbr member
    Get rid of those Avids and do yourself a favor and get some Shimano SLX or better.

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Maybe you were just messing with me but this worked as of now! About 12 miles today of fast singletrack hard braking and not a peep out of the brakes. I'll try again tomorrow but I guess the tape just takes up some room and engages the pads harder to keep them from squealing. I was so happy when I got done. I will eventually upgrade to XT's but I have four sets of pads and 50 feet of tape to go through 1st.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    He wasn't messing with you. Here's the thread where Vader1 arrived at the aluminum tape as a possible remedy for the noise.

My fidings on the Turkey Warble Noise.

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

I just got back from riding my dirt road cause I'm really happy it quit. I just had to hear or not hear it again. That Vader guy is one smart SOB!

mtbr member
    Usually I only mess with people when it's obvious I'm messing with them, or I know them. No, you asked for advice, I told you what I'd heard. I'm glad to hear it worked for you. My Avid's (XO's) are mostly pretty quiet, but I don't use Avid pads in them, and I don't use Avid rotors. I also use a torque wrench on every part of my brakes when I tighten them, and make certain they're to spec, and even. Basically, my brakes make noise after I cross a creek or river, then quit when they dry out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TrancekayakerX1 View Post
    I'll try the tape trick. If that don't work I'm putting full set of XT's and be done with it.
    This is what I did, sans trying the tape trick. Had Avid Elixir 1 that came on the bike. Horrible howling constantly. Swapped them out for a new, complete Shimano XT set, including XT Ice Tech rotors, and couldn't be more happy. Shimano XT set is AWESOME! Complete quietness now, too...

thecentralscrutinizer
    Aluminum tape? I'd think it would be too thick.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

Just an update on this. After 6 sets of different pads and new rotors I just ordered new SLX brakes and ice tech rotors. I tried all the tricks you've heard of. They'd work and then back to squealing. With the $ I spent trying to fix these things I could've had so new XTRs but oh well lesson learned.

mtbr member
    You tried different brand rotors & pads?? That should have done it.

mtbr member

I want QUIET BRAKES!

6 different pad sets. And 2 sets of rotors. Every change would get about 15-30 miles and then back to squealing. Never a lose of power. Just the most god awful squealing noise. Kind of embarrassing when pulling up to a group of low end bikes and your $3k rig is the only 1 sounding like a distressed rabbit! Anyways I hope these new SLX's fix the problem.

I can make someone a good package deal on some avid elixir 3's with 6 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors! I'd ship to the lower 48.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TrancekayakerX1 View Post
    6 different pad sets. And 2 sets of rotors. Every change would get about 15-30 miles and then back to squealing. Never a lose of power. Just the most god awful squealing noise. Kind of embarrassing when pulling up to a group of low end bikes and your $3k rig is the only 1 sounding like a distressed rabbit! Anyways I hope these new SLX's fix the problem.

I can make someone a good package deal on some avid elixir 3's with 6 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors! I'd ship to the lower 48.
    I tried different rotors and pads, too, when I was dealing with my Elixir 1's. Nothing I did was a permanent solution, just as you found with yours. The permanent solution for me ended up being entirely new set of Shimano (XT) brakes. I hope your new SLX's are a permanent solution for you, also.

With my Elixir 1's, it was the rear brake that was the culprit. The front brake was never a problem though. It was something about the harmonics generated with the Elixir 1's on the rear end of my bike (Talon) that was causing the issue. I could ride the bike, get up some good speed, then coast, and use the back end of the heel portion of my running shoes to press against the left seat stay at the same time, using a fair amount of pressure. When doing that, and applying the rear brake, no more squealing/howling. In other words, the rubber heel of my running shoe, and pressure being applied from it, was enough to dampen the "vibrations" being generated to eliminate the issue. I even thought about sticking some of that name-brand (forgot name now) dampening tape on the frame to see if it would be a permanent solution. The tape is used to dampen vibrations in stereo systems. But, rather than continuing to apply more "band-aids," having a new set of Shimanos sounded like much more fun to me! :-) So, I don't know if the dampening tape would've worked? Doesn't matter now anyway...

mtbr member
    Dynamat is used for car audio. There are alternatives you can find at Home Depot & Lowes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I want QUIET BRAKES!

The shimano brakes should solve the problem. Even still, I've had pads contaminated that have become quite noisy.

One way I've solved contaminated pads is with a torch. Remove the pads, and torch them. Don't go too crazy, but enough to burn off the contaminant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast