mtbr member

I own a Giant Warp DS2, good upgrades?

Hello, first time posting on this board. I am only a year into mountain biking, but I'm loving it. I own a 2003 model Giant Warp DS2 . I am a bit of an adrenaline junky and have really gotten into biking. But i know that I'm still a total NEWBIE to this. I love the bike I have and I'm glad I went with full suspension right off the bat. Some friend's have more sophisticated and more hard-core bikes and I have had fun trying them out. I can certainly tell that they are upgrades from my own bike. My bike is not holding me back, but I like the idea of improveming my equipment.

So my question is what direction do people suggest in the way of upgrades? I have heard that front fork is a good place to start. Also, what does it take to make the switch to disc brakes? what kind of costs would I be looking at? Thanks for any input.

Oh yeah, the bike is still stock right now. I have added some front and rear fenders, and a new chain and rear brake pads. Both the chain and brake pads were upgrades from stock equipment, but I can't remember the brands.

XC rider/racer
    It really depends on what type of riding youre into as to what upgrades would be the best.
    Do you free-ride? downhill? cross-country?...
    A good bang-for-buck upgrade is clipless pedals, you`ll find this helps a lot with climbing.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    It really depends on what type of riding youre into as to what upgrades would be the best.
    Do you free-ride? downhill? cross-country?...
    A good bang-for-buck upgrade is clipless pedals, you`ll find this helps a lot with climbing.
    Cheers
    I have heard that one before. I have so far no considered it because I ride this bike to work, too. I use the toe clips that attache to regular pedals, and I just ride in my tennis shoes. As far as riding, I'm sure I'm not a true downhiller but I do like that part of the trail! I guess cross-country? I enjoy your typical single-track climbs and decents. Thanks for the input.

"El Whatever"
    Sensible upgrades for a DS2 are clipless pedals (use your riding shoes for conmuting and keep your office shoes at the office or locker), disc brakes (Avid Mechanical are the best option), good grips, a saddle you feel comfortable with and maybe a pair of tires for city use but you should change them to go to the trails.

The DS2 is very well equipped from factory. To go for further upgrades makes no sense as you should spend a lot (maybe the half of the bike). But grips are cheap. The saddle and pedals you can use them on any other bike you should get and the disc brakes will give you plenty of power, all-weather performance and less headaches than Vee's and they won't hurt your rims too.

Just a question... do you already have disc hubs??? If not, ride your brakes and hubs 'till they die and go for the discs later. Brakes+Hubs are close to 200 bucks which is 1/3 of your bike's price.

***Edit*** Maybe changing to 9sp should be good also. If you already have the Deore Shifters is just a matter of changin the cassete and the chain... really cheap too!! If you have to buy the shifter pod, again ride until it breaks and get the 9sp later.
    Last edited by Warp; 06-09-2004 at 09:44 AM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Sensible upgrades for a DS2 are clipless pedals (use your riding shoes for conmuting and keep your office shoes at the office or locker), disc brakes (Avid Mechanical are the best option), good grips, a saddle you feel comfortable with and maybe a pair of tires for city use but you should change them to go to the trails.

The DS2 is very well equipped from factory. To go for further upgrades makes no sense as you should spend a lot (maybe the half of the bike). But grips are cheap. The saddle and pedals you can use them on any other bike you should get and the disc brakes will give you plenty of power, all-weather performance and less headaches than Vee's and they won't hurt your rims too.

Just a question... do you already have disc hubs??? If not, ride your brakes and hubs 'till they die and go for the discs later. Brakes+Hubs are close to 200 bucks which is 1/3 of your bike's price.
    Thanks. I like the disc brake idea. Like you said, I'll keep on trucking with what I have and upgrade if things go out. what are the hubs exactly? the rims? I know that my rims are not setup for disc brakes.

"El Whatever"
    Your bike is pretty much prepared for discs. Swap the hubs (only the hub and maybe the spokes if the lacing and flange diameter of the new hub is not equal check at the LBS) for some Shimano Deore. Good and cheap. Get the Avid Mechanicals. For all of this the count goes up to 85+85 for the brakes and like 60 for the set of new hubs. That's like 230 bucks. It might not be cheap though. So waiting until your hubs are done is sensible.

One you get the new Deore hub, you can get in the 9sp cassete and the shifter pod if you want to.

My best advise... get the pedals and the saddle, the rest ride until it breaks and then swap to discs and 9sp.
    Check my Site

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

... and if we just ... I own a Warp DS2 as well...

I also ride the Warp DS2. I ride some pretty rough downhill runs, but unlike most others, I ride up them first. Always. (lifts are for skiers)

The first thing I did was to get a new set of wheels with disc compatible hubs. I did this cuz I ended up trueing my wheels after every ride and I knew the toy stock brakes had to go. I got a set of handbuilt Sun Rhynolites with XT disc hubs for about 160.00. The next thing I did was to get a set of Avid Mechanical disc brakes. I could feel the stock v-brakes bending when I pulled the levers, and they had about 1/2 the power they should so out with the V's in with the Discs.

I got a handlebar and stem that felt better for me too, but that's an individual thing. I wanna get a new fork, but I'm gonna ride Judy (xc air assist, 100mm) until she gives out. I would switch to 9spd but I have had fewer probs with the 8sp setup. Much more durable with the wider chain. All my buds have busted 9spd chains while riding with me (after joking about my 8spd). Funny how I'm the only one with a chain tool, and I've never used it on MY bike! lol

I hate clipless pedals and have been riding MTN since before they existed. A good set of shoes and any old set of straps works for me. I feel $$ is better spent on things that will definitely fail after about 100 miles of riding. The stock pedals should outlast most other parts, I think. Definitely get a new seat too. Mine just bent a rail the other day, and I don't know how. Now I lean to the left on flat ground.

Feel free to Message me with any questions. I've done all the work myself so far, and think this bike has more potential than most people will admit. Oh yeah, my cranks are ticking repeatedly despite many various fix attempts, and the XT cranks are waiting in a box next to my pillow for the bottom bracket to arrive!

Good luck, and let those fancy-pants, $2000 bikes eat our dust - What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, especially heavy bikes. (OK guys, open season on me for that comment.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    I also ride the Warp DS2. I ride some pretty rough downhill runs, but unlike most others, I ride up them first. Always. (lifts are for skiers)

The first thing I did was to get a new set of wheels with disc compatible hubs. I did this cuz I ended up trueing my wheels after every ride and I knew the toy stock brakes had to go. I got a set of handbuilt Sun Rhynolites with XT disc hubs for about 160.00. The next thing I did was to get a set of Avid Mechanical disc brakes. I could feel the stock v-brakes bending when I pulled the levers, and they had about 1/2 the power they should so out with the V's in with the Discs.

I got a handlebar and stem that felt better for me too, but that's an individual thing. I wanna get a new fork, but I'm gonna ride Judy (xc air assist, 100mm) until she gives out. I would switch to 9spd but I have had fewer probs with the 8sp setup. Much more durable with the wider chain. All my buds have busted 9spd chains while riding with me (after joking about my 8spd). Funny how I'm the only one with a chain tool, and I've never used it on MY bike! lol

I hate clipless pedals and have been riding MTN since before they existed. A good set of shoes and any old set of straps works for me. I feel $$ is better spent on things that will definitely fail after about 100 miles of riding. The stock pedals should outlast most other parts, I think. Definitely get a new seat too. Mine just bent a rail the other day, and I don't know how. Now I lean to the left on flat ground.

Feel free to Message me with any questions. I've done all the work myself so far, and think this bike has more potential than most people will admit. Oh yeah, my cranks are ticking repeatedly despite many various fix attempts, and the XT cranks are waiting in a box next to my pillow for the bottom bracket to arrive!

Good luck, and let those fancy-pants, $2000 bikes eat our dust - What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, especially heavy bikes. (OK guys, open season on me for that comment.)
    hey, great post. I ride up my downhills, too! I was looking at my rear rim yesterday, there there is a large space on the hub on the left side. Does this have anything to do with being disc compatible already? There is about a 1" space between where the spokes connect to the center and where the QC connects to the frame. I have not had the problems that it sounds like you have with the V's, but I have gone through a set of pads. I have never busted a chain either, and I love my tennis shoe/toe clip strap setup. Sounds like you've gone the route that I will in the future, since a $2000 bike is still out of the question.

Oh yeah, my bike came stock with a RockShox Pilot XC front fork, 100 mm travel. It said on the RS website that this is an upgrade from the Judy line. Do you think that is the case? Thanks for the great post.
    Ed

Ed,

I've never ridden a RS Pilot fork before and I'm no expert on their forks. From what I've found, the Judy XC Air 100mm is a half-decent entry-level fork. It doesn't have the smoothest travel and the air preload is a bit touchy. I can feel my fork twisting (steering me to the side) when I hit the odd-angled bump too - just a little unsettling. My guess is that the Pilot is a little easier to set up for individual riders, but probably not any smoother or stiffer.

My DS2 came with standard hubs, not disc compatible. I think the DS1 comes with disc brakes, while the DS2 only has the mounting tabs on the frame and fork. Your hub sounds like it is a standard hub. If it were disc compatible, where you are seeing the 1" gap, you would see a fixture with six holes onto which you would mount your rotor.

You can get a good set of disc ready wheels with super solid rims for under $200. Make sure the wheels you buy are handbuilt instead of machine manufactured. The mass produced ones will lose spoke tension and go out of true fast and often which, in my case, has led to severe fits of anger and destruction. There are sets of Sun Rhynolite rims with Deore Disc hubs on Ebay for around $80 per set. You can get a handbuilt set with XT hubs which are lighter for around $160. The Rhynolite rims are on the heavier side but they are virtually indestructible. Mine have probably 200 miles (still babies) on them and I haven't had to touch any spokes. My friend has a pair that probably has about 2500 miles on them and he said he's had the spokes trued once, just to check the tension- they weren't bent but the job was free! I've never ridden a set of Mavics, but people seem to like them. They are lighter which would make me kind of wary about bending them, since I ride over whatever is in front of me and I tend to go fast. If you ride hard, and don't care about weight, go with the Rhynolites with whatever disc hub you can afford. If you've never bent a wheel before, and don't see yourself plowing mindlessly into random obstacles, go for a lighterweight set of rims.

Just for a laugh, I'll tell you what happened to my stock Weinmann/ZAC 19 wheels after about 100 miles. Aside from the almost every ride wheel trueing session, the back wheel began flopping back and forth on the axle. I took it apart and found that the cone nut and bearings had all but disintigrated. There were metal filings everywhere and there was a groove the thickness of a fingernail in my cone nut. The stupid bike shop I got my bike from had overtightened the hub when they put it together. When I brought it to them, they tightened it even more, and told me it was fine! I laughed in their face and walked out shaking my head. I decided they were no longer a valid bike shop in my mind and the next nearest Giant dealer was 60miles away, so I ordered my Rhynolites with the XT disc hubs. Solved that problem, and got myself started on the disc brake upgrade which, btw, is my first set. The Avid Mechs I got are beyond belief. I can't understand how I used linear brakes (or the old cantis for that matter) for so long! If you have any other ?'s feel free to email me or post again!

~J

... and if we just ... oh yeah, and shoes 2...

Oh yeah. Somehow in my previous post, as wordy as it was, I failed to mention shoes. I've been using a pair of standard metal cage pedals with the plastic clips and straps for over 15 years. I started using a pair of basketball shoes, cuz that's what I had. A few years later, I decided to buy a cheap pair of MTN specific shoes. They were SPD clipless-compatible, but I never got the pedals. I found that the MTN specific shoe is a lot stiffer which saves you energy and has a much better tread pattern designed to mesh with bike pedals for better grip. I have gone through 3 or 4 pairs of the Specialized Ground Control shoes. I like the fact that they are stiff, get awesome grip and are very durable, and most important, I'm not attached to my bike with hard metal clamps. I've seen my buddies fall over backwards, sideways, forwards all with their feet still clamped to the pedals. I like to be able to put my foot into a 10" deep puddle as opposed to using my head/shoulders to break the fall! I hit my head often enough as it is. lol

~J

mtbr member
    I hear that. I've jumped out of my pedals a few times lately. I'm sure once you get the trick down to getting out of clipless pedals it's not a big deal. but my setup works for me. thanks for the posts. I'll be looking into the disc brakes as time and money permits.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Is it possible to replace just the hubs for switching to discs? I see some things on ebay such as a "Up for bids is a used 32H Black Shimano XT Disc Hubset. 6-Bolt Disc pattern. Both Skewers are included. " How do I check if my rims are compatible with these hubs?

"El Whatever"
    Any rim brake can work along with disc brakes. The only difference is that the rims ones have this machined surfaces on the sides for the brakes to be applied.

Count the holes on your rim. Measure the spoke hole circle diameter on the flange (take two opposite -180 separated - holes on the flange and measure the distance between the center of both holes). It should be the same that the one on you actual hub. If it's not. You will probably have to change spokes too. Be aware that replacing a hub obviously implies to rebuild the wheel.

That is why I was talking about waiting until the hubs are fried to swap to discs.

And just a comment favoring the Warp line of bikes (I have a '03 DS1)... they rule. You can buy a cheap frame like this and upgrade gradually to a much better ride without having to sell a kidney. I agree that there are buch of people out there with fancy bikes and cheap lungs... We can make'em eat dust with about the half of money.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    get some egg beaters and don't worry about a thing. They are so easy to get in/out of it's crazy! Yet, they hold you in stug and give you confidence on hairy stuff! Nothing worse that trying to get into some traps in a pinch or bombing a drop of roots thinking you may pop out! I was a trap-boy for most of my riding career. I switched to some Wellgo spd's and crashed more in the first few months that I have in the 7 years of riding before then. I finally took a chance on those egg beaters and love em! I took them to Lutsen mtn. for my first use! Crazy! they worked great. Popped out when needed and popped in when covered in mud! sorry, a little off subject.