Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Thru axle fork / hub assembly on a '11 Talon 1 stock fork

    To make a long story short I took off my front wheel for the first time to replace the tire. I wasn't paying that much attention and all of the parts and spring(s) fell apart from the axle and its housing.

    I *think* I have all the parts, and I think they are put together properly.

    Can someone tell me how I can tell if I got it put back together properly?

    Thanks in advance. I feel like such a noob!
    Last edited by p08757; 04-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,516
    You accidentally disassembled the axle, can't help because I no longer have that fork but have you emailed or visited the manufacturer website?

  3. #3
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    You accidentally disassembled the axle, can't help because I no longer have that fork but have you emailed or visited the manufacturer website?
    The da*n web site has no usable information on that fork. I may have to visit my LBS and talk to the mechanics there.

  4. #4
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    You accidentally disassembled the axle
    I am sitting here wondering how that is even possible? Do you mean the fork? That fork is a 15mm thru axle hub. Do you mean you disassembled the hub? Not sure how you could "accidentally" do that just to change a tire.

  5. #5
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I am sitting here wondering how that is even possible? Do you mean the fork? That fork is a 15mm thru axle hub. Do you mean you disassembled the hub? Not sure how you could "accidentally" do that just to change a tire.
    The fork does not have a drop out. So to remove the wheel from the fork I unscrewed the quick release all of the way and pulled it out along with a tube with various springs and parts. Thus my problem.

    I'm gone for the weekend so I will take a photo when I return.

  6. #6
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Here are a few pics





    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by p08757; 04-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cigarlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    239
    I have the same fork- so I would love some info on this also ???

  8. #8
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarlover View Post
    I have the same fork- so I would love some info on this also ???
    Can you take a close up photo of the non quick release side? I suspect I'm missing a little part. Thanks.

    The Photo above DOES show the correct way to assemble the parts.
    Last edited by p08757; 04-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.

  9. #9
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Bump!

    Can anyone tell me if I have my parts aligned the correct way from the picture in post #6 Also am I missing any parts?

    Thanks in advance!

  10. #10
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarlover View Post
    I have the same fork- so I would love some info on this also ???
    Why? Why would you want to intentionally dis-assemble the quick release axle? This is a "quick" release fork and hub. You just open the quick release lever and pull the axle straight out and then remove the wheel, easy as pie. No need to disassemble the axle to get the wheel off.

  11. #11
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Why? Why would you want to intentionally dis-assemble the quick release axle? This is a "quick" release fork and hub. You just open the quick release lever and pull the axle straight out and then remove the wheel, easy as pie. No need to disassemble the axle to get the wheel off.
    Please examine the photo of the actual fork in post #6. There is NO Drop Out!!!

    I've never seen this before, and it explains why I removed the axle.

    Do I have a one-off fork? Someone has had to run into this with their Talon in the past. I just want to make sure I have it put back together correctly.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  12. #12
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Please examine the photo of the actual fork in post #6. There is NO Drop Out!!!

    I've never seen this before, and it explains why I removed the axle.

    Do I have a one-off fork? Someone has had to run into this with their Talon in the past. I just want to make sure I have it put back together correctly.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have the same exact fork, the whole purpose of a thru axle fork / hub is that there is no drop out. I will post some pictures of how this works later today.

  13. #13
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I have the same exact fork, the whole purpose of a thru axle fork / hub is that there is no drop out. I will post some pictures of how this works later today.
    Many thanks! This will help me keep my mind!

    Reputation Points added to your account....

  14. #14
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Please examine the photo of the actual fork in post #6. There is NO Drop Out!!!

    I've never seen this before, and it explains why I removed the axle.

    Do I have a one-off fork? Someone has had to run into this with their Talon in the past. I just want to make sure I have it put back together correctly.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Here you go...

    First, open the quick release lever:

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00168.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00169.jpg

    Then with one hand hold the quick release lever in the open position with one hand, with the other hand on the other side of the wheel push the round part to the left of the red clamp toward the center of the wheel, then with the hand on the quick release side, pull the entire quick release bar out of the hub / fork.

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00170.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00171.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00172.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00174.jpg

    Remove the wheel and do your stuff, then replace the wheel, and with the quick release lever in the open position shove it back in there until you hear it click (I do not think it matters which side you put it in (I put mine in so that the QR part is on the opposite side of the disc brake.

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00175.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00176.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00177.jpg

    I need some help with my '11 Talon 1-deer-valley-20120410-00178.jpg

    Then close the quick release lever.

    There is no need to ever disassemble the quick release axle in order to remove the wheel (that would kind of take the "quick" out of quick release, LOL)

    I hope this helps you guys. They showed me all of this at the shop when I purchased the bike, otherwise I may have been wondering the same thing.

    Dennis

  15. #15
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Dennis! I've never seen this before, and I have it assembled wrong now. I will fool with it and get it assembled correctly in short order now.

    Question -- When things are assembled correctly and the quick release is locked, should I see any of the red piece showing?

  16. #16
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Thanks Dennis! I've never seen this before, and I have it assembled wrong now. I will fool with it and get it assembled correctly in short order now.

    Question -- When things are assembled correctly and the quick release is locked, should I see any of the red piece showing?
    Yes, it should look exactly like the last picture in my post, except the QR lever would be closed, but you would see some of the red part. Once you get the hang of it it really is a pretty nice setup. Pretty much all of the thru axle hubs are like this (or similar). This is actually a nice feature of this otherwise crappy fork.

  17. #17
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Yes, it should look exactly like the last picture in my post, except the QR lever would be closed, but you would see some of the red part. Once you get the hang of it it really is a pretty nice setup. Pretty much all of the thru axle hubs are like this (or similar). This is actually a nice feature of this otherwise crappy fork.
    Thanks!

    As soon as I figure out the correct way to assemble the axle I will post correct pictures. so if anyone else ends up in my shoes this thread will help.

    I will now edit post #8 to reflect that the picture shown is NOT the correct way to assemble the parts
    Last edited by p08757; 04-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.

  18. #18
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549


    This IS the correct way to put it back together. I didn't push it all of the way through so the red part was showing when I went back to install it.

  19. #19
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post


    This IS the correct way to put it back together. I didn't push it all of the way through so the red part was showing when I went back to install it.
    So, are you back up and running?

    For those people with this fork, please keep in mind that this is NOT the way to take off the wheel. This is a quick release QR15 hub. Just follow my instructions above. You do not and should not disassemble the axle to remove the rim/tire from the bike.

  20. #20
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    So, are you back up and running?

    For those people with this fork, please keep in mind that this is NOT the way to take off the wheel. This is a quick release QR15 hub. Just follow my instructions above. You do not and should not disassemble the axle to remove the rim/tire from the bike.
    Yes I'm back and running with it installed properly. Thank you very much for your help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •