Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I finally broke down and got a cloud nine....

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RedRocker 
#1 ·
Got an 2002 NRS2 with the SGF rockers. Just ordered the cloud nine from cane creek. Hope to have it next week. The old SID is leaking air and can't hold pressuere more then 200 lbs plus I never did care for the ride of it. Figured I might as well replace it now while I have the cash.

Anybody ever set up a cloud 9 for a NRS? Need some advice if you have.

Thanks!

#2 ·
mtbcyclist said:
Got an 2002 NRS2 with the SGF rockers. Just ordered the cloud nine from cane creek. Hope to have it next week. The old SID is leaking air and can't hold pressuere more then 200 lbs plus I never did care for the ride of it. Figured I might as well replace it now while I have the cash.

Anybody ever set up a cloud 9 for a NRS? Need some advice if you have.

Thanks!
Yeah, I did the same thing and bought the cloud nine also. Same thing you said, the old shock leaked big time, plus I never really got used to the feal of the SID.

I just followed the directions that came with the shock and started with that. I then took along my shock pump on a solo ride and played with the shock pressure until I liked the way the bike felt. Then I played with the comp.& rebound till I got the results I was looking for (for me that is.) Just ride the bike over all types of terrain to get the feal of the way your shock responds and ajust as you go.

Good Luck,

UpOnTwo

#3 ·
What type of pressure do you run in both chambers and do you mount it upside down (in reference to how the SID mounts)? Was curious as the setup and if it remotely matches Giants recomendations for the SID. I know they are different shocks but they are both air shocks.

#4 ·
Cane Creek shock setup

mtbcyclist said:
What type of pressure do you run in both chambers and do you mount it upside down (in reference to how the SID mounts)? Was curious as the setup and if it remotely matches Giants recomendations for the SID. I know they are different shocks but they are both air shocks.
This is word for word:
The best method for determininng the proper pressure setting is riding. Back out out the comp. & rebound adjusters and pressurize the shock 5-10 psi under your body weight. Ride the bike. If you bottom the shock out frequently increase the pressure in 5 psi increments until you bottom out rarely. If you don't bottom the shock out at all, work the other direction.

There is only one air port on this shock unlike the SID. Again you just have to play with it for a few rides until you get it right. The shock is great and you can make the bike as plush as you want. Great on the small bump compliance. Remember though, the more plush you make it, the more pedal bob you will notice.

Good Luck

UpOnTwo

#6 ·
Also - yes, mount it "upside down". It works just the same and it is FAR easier to adjust the rebound and compression. Try backing those all the way out then bringing them in about 1/3 of total to start with.
I've ridden my C9 firm and a little soft and I like it better more plush. You want to set it up with just enough pressure so you're not sagging. As upontwo says 5-10psi below your body weight is a good place to start as well. Remember that you're looking for more compliance than the low-volume SID.

#8 ·
bugger said:
I will be ordering my SG rockers today and have been thinking about a AD-12 or C9. Please let me know how you like this setup. As I have posted in a previous area, anyone using more than 115mm with a NRS and SGF rockers?
I can't speak to the 115mm (fork) question, but I have the SGF rockers with a cloud nine. The setup works great. I set mine up with psi = my weight without gear, started with the CC recommended settings and tweaked from there. It took me a couple of rides to set up the shock to my liking though. Since I set it up, I have not had to think about it much, and it's easy to work on.

NRS with SGF/Cloud9 set up (RedRocker knows this spot)

Attachments

#9 ·
Pretty sweet setup. I really like the cloud nine/SGF rockers although I have had it out for just one ride. I have it setup for about 15 lbs above my weight (without gear) althought I have not had enough time to tinker with it that much so my settings may change as I get used to the shock.

The shock itself is much fatter and has much more air volume then the SID. I also believe it has more travel then the SID as I measure the oil line on the top of the shock (the mark the shock leaves when it bottoms out). I had read that somewhere on the net.

The ride is very plush but not "bobby". Yes it does bob slightly, but it bobed with the SID, and proably even worse with the SID. This setup EATS up the bumps.

I would highly recommend the shock for any NRS owner.

#10 ·
Al. said:
NRS with SGF/Cloud9 set up (RedRocker knows this spot)
Yes I do. Although the last time I was up there I couldn't see over the edge, it was totally fogged in! The last little stretch up the road was pretty cool - it was kind of spooky with the white glowing fog up at the top where the overlook is as I was peddling up. That is a nice blast down then the new-ish Pinhoti section is fun fun fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.