mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well I can't pedal Giant Reign 2008 :((( How is yours??

Hey guys,

I want to return my Trance X1 '08 (awesome!) and get a Reign 1 '08 instead for more travel and a beefier frame.

BUT I CAN'T PEDAL IT!!!

It's ok around the block, but in a park with easy hiking trails it's so hard to get it up to speed, let alone up the trail. I'm 180 in a good shape. What's the problem?? I was exhausted after 30 minutes of slow riding with minor ascends.

The Reign is size small (bike shop's availability..) while my Trance X1 is medium. It feels heavy when pedaling (pro-pedal on), accelerating, and lifting over logs. I need a bike I can pedal, not just drop/jump. Don't judge me, but I like 2-3' drops to flat and very aggressive cross-country with steep angles. Want to go up/down/straigth for 2 hrs or so, sometimes take it up the lift.

Suggestions? Comments? Your own experiences? Thanks!!
    Last edited by TaskSwitcher; 07-08-2008 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TaskSwitcher
    Hey guys,

I want to return my Giant Trance X1 '08 (awesome!) and get a Reign 1 '08 instead for more travel and a beefier frame.

BUT I CAN'T PEDAL IT!!!

It's ok around the block, but in a park with regular flat hiking trails it's so hard to get it up to any speed, let alone up the trail. I'm 180 in a good shape (my Trance X1 just flies!). What's the problem?? I did about 30 minutes of slow riding with minor ascends, and was exhausted.

The Reign is size small (bike shop's availability..) while my Trance is medium. Is it the thick fat tires?? There's no bobbing (pro-pedal on) but feels heavy when pedaling, accelerating, and lifting over logs. I need a bike I can pedal, not just drop/jump. Don't judge me, but I like 2-3' drops to flat and very aggressive cross-country with steep angles. Want to go up/down/straigth for 2 hrs or so, sometimes take it up the lift.

Suggestions? Comments? Your own experiences? Thanks!!
    Hmm....switch the wheelsets and see where that gets you - that should settle if it is the tire/wheels or the frame/suspension.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]You sure the disks aren’t rubbing hard or something, it must be the wheels/tires so put lighter wheels and faster tires on if you can or you could be exaggerating because the 3 bikes are all slightly slower than each other but it shouldn’t be as noticeable as your describing.

Trance: wow, off we go!
    Trance X: this is a pretty fast bike.
    Reign: move u bastard, ah yes we’re off now.

I would say the Reign is very similar to my old 07 Stumpy with slow tires in both weight, effort and speed.

Tires will make a big difference!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, first thing I do if a bike feels slow, pick it up and see if both wheels spin easily. Maybe one was put in crooked or brake dragging, etc. If they spin fine, then check tire pressures and so on like was suggested.

Even my Reign X is not rediculously slow, just a bit heavy on long climbs, so it really sounds like a problem with that bike, not Reigns in general.

mtbr member
    Let go of the brakes when pedalling! just kidding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Reverse your stem

and get your bars lower.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm sure the brakes weren't dragging. It just felt like I was pedaling through jelly

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=TaskSwitcher]I'm sure the brakes weren't dragging. It just felt like I was pedaling through jelly [/QUOTE

edit: I just re-read your post. You have a Trance that fits you and you love it, you test rode a heavier more freeride oriented bike that is too small for you and it doesn't pedal as well. Sorry, can't help you.
    Last edited by xcguy; 07-09-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Could it be bad BB? I had a problem similar to that and it was fix after replacing the BB.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]How about rear shock pressure and rebound settings.
    [/SIZE]

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    It's too small.
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl
    It's too small.
    Thats what I would say. Could be other factors but pedaling a smaller bike is gonna be harder than larger bike. Whats your bike inseam?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    Thats what I would say. Could be other factors but pedaling a smaller bike is gonna be harder than larger bike. Whats your bike inseam?
    That could explain a lot. I usually ride size Medium, but I test-rode (and had all these pedaling problems) on a SMALL.

I'm trying to find a bike shop that has the Reign in stock and testable.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah I find it a lot harder to keep the speed up on my dads medium than my large, like it's saping your energy, that's why I've never tacken his Trance X for a really long ride.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Like others have said, the Reign is too small for you.

From what you said what you intend to do it sounds like the shop hooked you up with the right tool for the job. Your Trance X should be able to do a bit more than you ask of it as well.

I find that the Giant's run small for their size.

I have the Reign 1 and it runs a bit slower, but not a handicap. The rear Nevegal was SLOW and I put a different tire on and it is a bit faster. It is not a race bike. It laughs at 4' to flat drops.

If you want a bit more of a trail bike from your X you can get a killer deal on a closeout 32 140 to raise the front end and BB or even go to a TA with a new fork and wheel.

Good Luck-

Rob

siv
    mtbr member
    Going down a size is gonna be more cramped in the cockpit and your leg extension wont be right unless you have the seat in XC racing position. Im 6' 1" and find myself strongly considering an XL Reign because I have a 34.5 inch inseam which means I need leg extension but dont want to be over the bars. Headtube length is the main reason Im going with a Giant when the time comes. I think it will be easier to make an XL smaller than a L bigger. Currently have my Prophet all messed up trying to get a good fit, all Cannondale headtubes are the same length no matter the frame size. Just plain stupid.