The Notorious S.L.O

Hypothetical Giant Warranty question..

First off, wanted to be clear, not trying to pull anything, just looking at the frame as I was washing it the other and wondering.....

I have an 05 NRS and it is my primary ride, the older bikes barely get a ride from me lately.

What would happen if the frame cracked or failed? Since they don't make the NRS any longer, would they replace it with a comparable frame with similar travel, such as the Anthem 2?
    Would they cover the cost of migrating my components to the new frame, would the provide any needed parts that I could not migrate from the NRS?

Anyone have any firsthand experience with such a warranty situation?
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not sure that Giant (or any other company) has actual policies written in stone for these deals, but this has been my experience:
    Assuming Giant can't come up with a NRS from some back corner of their warehouse, then yes, you'd get something comparable, not sure if that would be an anthem or trance. Regarding cost of switching parts, that's usually not covered in warranty situations and you'd be on your own for seatpost, front derailleur, etc. if they aren't compatible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you would probably be looking at a trance. They might give you an option though, like an anthem, trance, or trance x and you can decide from there (although some might cost a bit of money - "we'll give you a trance, or if you wanna spend an extra X amount we'll do a trance x or anthem"

seatpost, front derailler, a shocks are usually not included, although if the shock wont transfer over you might be able to fight for one

The Notorious S.L.O

thanks for the responses...

hoping that I don't have to find out in real life.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    If this were to be the case, you would ONLY send in your frame...nothing attached to it - not even your shock. In these situations you only send in the frame or parts of the frame that are infact failed under normal (using that word loosly) riding conditions. For example, if you were say riding your cross country NRS in a more agressive trail situation, well you might be hard out of luck.

But I think what you want is a free upgrade...yes? (hypothetically though of course)

Goodluck bro...

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    But I think what you want is a free upgrade...yes? (hypothetically though of course)

Goodluck bro...
    Sure, if an upgrade was the final result, that would be cool, but I am sure that it would be quite a ordeal to work thru.
    Nothing wrong with the NRS, just wondering about the "lifetime" warranty in respect to a dis-continued frame.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

bi-winning
    I cracked a Rainier hardtail. i had the option to get a different frame, as long as i payed the price difference for a more expensive fame. Swapping components will be done at your expense. If they don't have any NRSs left, they would be forced to offer you a similar replacement to your failed frame - like an anthem or trance.

I've ridden my NRS harder than i rode the Rainier, and it has not failed me yet.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

I AM I AM
    Ha ha, good question. Definitely could come across as someone trying a scheme!
    Nah I don't think you're scheming though, I'm sure most people have thought of the same "if" situation and what would happen.
    If they couldn't give you something equivalent then you'd have to fork out the difference for the next best in the range, and in that case it could well be worth it or it may be more cost effective to sell up and upgrade before there is a chance of breaking your old frame.

Certainly if someone was going to do it on purpose to see if they got lucky, then unless your bike was next to worthless to you in the first place I'd say it wouldn't be worth the hassle or the risk of having your warranty denied.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I work with a fellow who's older frame cracked at the seat tube and top tube junction. His frame was replaced with a new frame of comparable value and model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mace1978
    I work with a fellow who's older frame cracked at the seat tube and top tube junction. His frame was replaced with a new frame of comparable value and model.
    This JUST happened to me today at that same location on my 2002 AC Air Lite. I did break the rear triangle before, but they replaced only the triangle at the time (which makes sense). I hope I can warranty for a new frame this time.

Speaking of replacement frames, I doubt they have any AC frames... so which would you guys opt for: a Trance or Reign frame? I tend to ride more cross-country, with a couple 3-4 foot drops mixed in.
    Last edited by pslovo; 07-09-2008 at 08:25 AM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by pslovo
    Speaking of replacement frames, I doubt they have any AC frames... so which would you guys opt for: a Trance or Reign frame? I tend to ride more cross-country, with a couple 3-4 foot drops mixed in.
    Depends on how big of a fork you have.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm currently running the stock Psylo SL that came with the AC Air Lite...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, my LBS checked in with Giant. They apparently still have replacement front triangles for the AC series, so it looks like I'll have to do that. The only crash replacement frame I could go for (1/2 price) was the Reign XO, which would be way overkill for my riding. Kind of bummed, was hoping for a Trance X replacement... Oh well.

bi-winning
    Well, my LBS checked in with Giant. They apparently still have replacement front triangles for the AC series, so it looks like I'll have to do that. The only crash replacement frame I could go for (1/2 price) was the Reign XO, which would be way overkill for my riding. Kind of bummed, was hoping for a Trance X replacement... Oh well.
    Huh, how bout that. I bet they still have some NRSs then too.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    was hoping for a Trance X replacement... Oh well.
    [SIZE=2]Arenít they all?

I would have thought Giant would have a 5 year cut off point for warrantees like other manufacturers.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Arenít they all?
    Yup! Would have looooved one.

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]I would have thought Giant would have a 5 year cut off point for warrantees like other manufacturers.[/SIZE]
    Not sure; my literature states a 'lifetime' warranty to the original owner...unless 5 years is considered lifetime.

I'm happy with a replacement AC frame - the XO would be way too much bike for cross country and minimal drops.

bi-winning
    literature states a 'lifetime' warranty to the original owner
    ...which is another reason i am happy to ride a Giant. An aluminum mountain bike will simply not last forever if it is ridden a lot, but Giant will still hook you up!

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    +1...kudos to the Giant warrenty and in the hopes that it never changes.

Especially when all the Brand Whores spewing and frothing about how their bikes champion the sport maintain that their bikes design and makers are FAR superior to mine, I and many others will still be riding strong on our spaking new bikes while their vented metal is crumbling along the trail with impact cracks and stress fracture...HA HA, I say.

MOOSE
    Having worked at a Giant dealer until the beginning of the summer, my guess is that they would replace the frame with either the same one, or a similar model, say perhaps an anthem, although quite possible an earlier years model. They would not cover the cost of moving over your components. That is where buying the bike from a good store in the first place comes in to play. I know that at the store I worked at we would happily solve such a problem for a customer who bought said bike from us, and move over components at no charge. However, if the bike was not bought from us, a bike building fee would be charged.

Giant are very good about their warranty replacements, but it often comes down to the store's willingness to do anything about it.