mtbr member
    May 2010

Hydraulic seat post - worth it?

Thinking about a hydraulic seat post and wonder if it's worth it, considering cost and added weight?

Also, are those seat posts maintenance heavy and durable?

Any real life experiences someone would want to share?

mtbr member
    Purchased a Reverb about a year ago for my Trance X2.....It is now hard to ride my other bikes without one!

It is amazing how much faster it makes the downhill part of the ride. Lower center of gravity is the key here.

Absolutley the best bike accessory I have purchased and it only added about a pound more.

It has been 100% reliable to date, no issues....

mtbr member
    I have a KS i950r. Best $200 I've spent on my bike. I haven't had to do a thing to it once I got it dialed in, which only took about 30 minutes. DO IT!!!!!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I have a KS i950r. Best $200 I've spent on my bike. I haven't had to do a thing to it once I got it dialed in, which only took about 30 minutes. DO IT!!!!!
    Thank you!

That was actually my next question: which one would be recommended?

I am thinking about upgrading to a Trance in case that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advise!

mtbr member
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I chose a KS because it was new at the time and offered unlimited height adjustment, with 5" of travel. Check the 'all mt' forum for a HUGE adjustable seatpost thread.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

banned
    May 2012
    Got the reverb when It first came out and help a huge amount. I don't know how any all mountain bike over 5grand doesn't come with it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got the giant version and I like it. Also less $$. Got a KS first and it lasted three rides, have yet to send it in since the giant one is going strong. Just wish they made a longer version for those of us who are on the tall side of things.

mtbr member
    My ks has been off the bike more than on. They're amazing when they work but dropper posts are still in beta it appears
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a frugal bastard. I'm a weight weenie. I was anti-dropper for a long time because of those traits, ha. Then I put a new Reverb on my Mach 5.7 carbon. Well worth the price and added weight.

I'd put one on my 20 pound carbon 29er 1x10 if possible but my 27.2 seatpost diameter won't allow; a Reverb is going on my new Anthem X Advanced SL0. I'll gladly tack on the pound for the dramatic increase in downhill speed and control.

mtbr member
    I rode with my Reverb last weekend for the first time. It is as good as everyone says. Get one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The giant dropper is very reliable from my own experience and others reviews. I will say that I had a dropper on my reign X1 that came with the bike and after a few weeks of riding decided that a dropper wasn't for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Giant switch and a Reverb. Reverb is much better built and feels better to use. Giant unit failed within a few months and repair was not warrantied from Giant who repaired it. I would now choose Reverb all day due to feel, operation and quality. However, still to own the Reverb long enough for it to fail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Davey, check the nut or what ever they call it that keeps the unit inside of the post. Mine came loose and the post would not go up. After some fiddling.i figured out that the nut just needed to be tightened, like brand new. Think that is what happened in my first contact post. My KS did not last as long at the second contact. Just wish they made it longer, that is where I really miss the KS post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been using the X-Fusion HiLo 125mm for a couple months on my Trance X3 and love it. Got the HiLo for the extra travel a good price.

mtbr member
    I looked at the Reverb, they have many sizes 100mm or125mm (travel) length: 355mm-380mm-420mm. Which one for a trance medium frame?
    ________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    I looked at the Reverb, they have many sizes 100mm or125mm (travel) length: 355mm-380mm-420mm. Which one for a trance medium frame?
    I just put a Reverb on my medium Trance X, great deal on it new on eBay as for msrp the Reverb wasn't even on my radar. I got a 380mm length one, which by default is 125 mm travel, perfect fit. Goes without saying it's 30.9 diameter. They also have what they call an "Enduro Collar", which you can put around the top post to limit travel if you don't want to use all 125mm. Although quite frankly you could just not slide it down all the way so the point of that collar is kind of moot. Here it is when I first installed it, I've since tidied up the cable routing a bit - need to get rid of my quick release seatpost clamp though. Can't wait to ride it!

JunkBoy
    Jan 2012
    Wasn't planning on getting one but the LBS had a 20% off sale so I took advantage of it and picked up the Giant drop seat post. Finally got to try it out today and I really liked being able to adjust on the fly! I set a personal record on one of my climbs and I attribute it to the switch post. I never thought how much of a difference this would make compared to riding with a fixed seat post but it really did...and I have no complaints having that lower center of gravity to bomb on the downhills with the seat dropped. It's definitely a more complete ride now! Get one because you won't be disappointed.