mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Hybrid tires for mtb

I'd like to install some descent road/light trail tires on my original SXC-2 wheels that came on my 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29'r. I'd appreciate some suggestions that I could research prior to ordering them. I'd say 90% road 10% light trail riding. I was surprised to find out how nice this bike rides on the road, but I don't want to wear out my Racing Ralphs...

Thaks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been having the same thoughts. I've considered getting the LBS to save some 'Ralphish' tires with the center bald to use on the road. Once the center is down close to the casing, the knobs almost stop wearing and there's a lot of casing to ride on. Plus you have side knobs left, usually, to still corner on. There should be lots of Spesh Renegades and Schwalbe Furious Freds getting thrown out with road miles aplenty left on them and they'll be even lighter when used ;-).

Putting a skinny hybrid tire on there is just asking for strange things to happen; I'd stick with 2" tires. Skinny tires only offer less wind resistance and, sometimes, weight and have to be run at a higher pressure to get the same rolling resistance.

That's one of the unsung virtues of a 29 XC bike; you can actually enjoy it on pavement and still take a detour for dirt entertainment. I'd be careful to avoid tires with tall edge knobs as they can tend to walk around more on fast paved corners than a tighter low knob. A pair of raced out Renegades - or similar - on spare wheels could be a lot of no worries fun. You can run 40 lbs on the road and drop to 25 on the dirt, then pump them up again to go home.